Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : PC Master Race?
Choice Votes Statistics
  Yes, 100% Flawless
11 %
  Best gaming option, but not master race
66 %
  Indifferent
0 %
  Consoles are somewhat better
11 %
  Console Master Race
11 %
  Total 9 100%
Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline SUPER-G  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 11:33:52 AM(UTC)
SUPER-G
Colonel
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
Canada

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 100 post(s)
Are PC gamers truly the 'master race'? I think not. Both consoles and PCs have their advantages/disadvantages. Although i do think PC gaming is slightly better, it is no way a flawless option.

Console gaming is much more simple. All you really need to do most of the time when you first buy one is configure a few settings, insert the game disc, and that's it. PC's require more tinkering, including the actual building of the computer, loading all the software onto it, downloading your games (which can take hours sometimes) and finally you are able to get into the game.

Consoles are also cheaper than gaming computers, have you ever tried spending less than $400 on a "gaming" computer? You haven't, because if you are spending that much, you won't get a gaming computer, you'll get a windows vista laptop that grandma uses to email pictures of her cat to her grandchildren... If you want to enjoy your computer, it gets expensive. Consoles haven't ever gone above the $500.00 mark IIRC. Even if you found a great PC part for an unbelievable price, they generally aren't good quality and have bad warranties. And not to mention the accessories, Monitors, Keyboards, Mice, Headphones, all of that adds up.

But the PC's are much more interactive, if that's the right word. Its possible to mod games, and you have a much, much bigger selection. And Generally, if you get the right parts, they perform better as well.

You can theoretically play any game from any console on an emulator, and services like Steam, Origin and many others offer a wide selection of titles, ranging from AAA to indie to F2P. Consoles, that most of the time have backwards compatibility, generally play games mad by their parent company. Ever played Halo on your Wii? No, you have not. Played it on a PC? Yeah, probably.

In my opinion, the PC is the 'better' way, but not by much. It all depends on the kind of gamer you are.

Edited by user Monday, December 8, 2014 3:16:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Discord - PK_Soar #9531
PK_Soar #9531

He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in
one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom. - Anton Lavey

Sponsor
Offline Rrtaya_tsamsiyu  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 3:07:52 PM(UTC)
Rrtaya_tsamsiyu
Colonel
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 139 post(s)
i like computers for moddability, but consoles because you never have to worry about incompatibility. Computers can play outdated games though.
one soul at a time
Offline CaeDares  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2014 11:50:32 AM(UTC)
CaeDares
Captain
United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
While I wouldn't necessarily say the PC is "100% Flawless", as of this comment, I'm the only one who chose it, and the reasons you pointed out are pretty much the reason why.

While you are correct that it depends on your point of view, which is why the whole "Console Wars" BS has been going on for ages now, I'll give you my point of view since I've played on just about every console you can name between the original Atari to the latest consoles, Xbox One and PS4, and also planning on playing on that console that Microsoft and Razer have in the making.

What YOU think is the best, depends on a LOT of things, or more precisely, what you view as the best thing games should have, for example, graphics, controls, storyline, ect.
Some people look at everything together and usually agree that PC is master race, but a lot of people don't and that's why they look at Xbox and Playstation when it comes to being 'The Best'.

I'll start with Graphics, Motherboards...All the hardware stuff.
While I can't figure out what graphics card Xbox One and PS4 have precisely, I'd have to say that the Xbox One graphics card would be somewhat equivalent to the AMD HD 7770/7790, and the PS4 an AMD HD 7850/7870. Sadly, neither of those are really....all that great. These two cards have ABSOLUTELY. NOTHING. when it comes to some of the most powerful graphics cards that you can get as of today (Even though they're expensive!) like the EVGA 12G-P4-3992-KR and AMD FirePro S9150.
So when it comes to graphics, PC wins no matter what. It doesn't matter. Unless I see a console with a good graphics card that can match a modern day computer, PC takes the cake.

Xbox One has a Micron DDR3-2133 DRAM, PS4 has a Jaguar (Not sure of the actual name, but it's a Jaguar). Compared to a PC's Asus Z10PA-D8, those are also, as I've said before...Nothing.

So, to spare you the boredom when it comes listing the rest of the Xbox and PS specs compared to PC, I'll leave it at this...PC cannot be beaten as of right now when it comes to hardware. For most people with bad computers will probably think "Well this PC sucks and my xbox/playstation doesnt so obviously xbox / playstation is better." Any fool can think something like this. Anybody oblivious to the world of technology can think this.

Now I'll explain the controls, but there's honestly not much to it.
PC has a Mouse and Keyboard, which in most cases, must be bought separately, and depending on how good of a keyboard / mouse you want can really add to the cost of your PC. But that's not really what this is about. A PC keyboard is fully configurable, as well as the mouse. If you really put some dosh down on your mouse then it can have several buttons on it, meaning it can be even more configurable.
But at the same time this is....Not needed. It's obviously not needed unless a game lets you make Macro keys, kind of like World of Warcraft, or configured servers on games like Unreal Tournament. Unless you get into something like that, it's REALLY not needed. Xbox and PS4 controllers supply you with just enough buttons and triggers for each and every function the game requires. No fumbling which key you need to press (I very rarely fumble which button I press on a controller). So for this area specifically, I would give this slice of cake to Xbox/PS, but ever since PC's gave you the option to hook up a wired controller to the PC via a converter or some other method, PC kind of grabbed the cake slice and shoved it up Xbox/PS's USB2.0 Port. But when it came to the earlier 2000's, Console had credit for it.

Now when it comes to Audio, neither Console nor PC take the cake. Give that cake to the pair of headphones you have, because the audio on those is better than any PC/Laptop/TV speakers (Unless they're really bad headphones...)

Now, the games... I can't even comment on this because games nowadays are all graphics and *censored*ty storyline, so I'll go back to playing Generals and Baldurs Gate.

I can't really say much more about this.

Basically, Xbox and PS4 can't do anything PC can't.

PC MASTER RACE.
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

I may not be available between November 22nd and December 4th due to travelling. If you require my assistance, please Private Message me
Offline SUPER-G  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:57:19 PM(UTC)
SUPER-G
Colonel
Canada

Some very good points there, if there is one thing that a PC can't be beat on, its hardware. Not to mention that you can crack open your PC and upgrade or repair it when you feel like it, unlike consoles, which is illegal to do so IIRC (you'd have to send it back to get it repaired).
Discord - PK_Soar #9531
PK_Soar #9531

He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in

Offline Gameanater  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:28:48 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 144 post(s)
(IIRC?)

Cae does have pretty good points, but I still chose the second option, best for gaming, but not a master race.

To be honest, though, PCs and consoles have both of their own pros and cons like you said, G.

Like a with console, you really don't have to worry about compatibility issues, but it's hard to mod stuff on a console, whereas on the PC usually you have access to the game's files and stuff, and modding can add the replayability and enjoyment of the game. But, it is a PAIN to get every set up on a PC game, some times! Like getting Generals/Zero Hour to work on my new PC was a pain in da neck.

I love playing on the PC, but it depends upon the game. You CANNOT say that a first person shooter can be better played on a console. Don't believe me? Reacting to everything is so much easier with mouse-and keyboard, just try it. Now platforming, 2D, ect, depends on controls. I can play 2D platforming/shooter/whatever games okay on the keyboard PROVIDED THEY MAP MOVEMENT TO THE ARROW KEYS AND NOT WASD for example. I also think it's kind of a good thing to have that smaller number of buttons for the controller, because I really hate how in Deus Ex for example, they use up so many keyboard keys for certain actions that you're jumping all over your keyboard to peek around the corner or turn on your pistol's laser beam (Deus Ex is a fantastic game, though).

But I want to touch on a big thing that bugs me right now with modern gaming in general.

You know, about 20 years from now, you probably won't be able to play Call of Duty. Because the servers for the stinkin' DAY ONE PATCH will be gone, and you won't be able to play the full game. Or with that new Halo and the 20GB day one patch that included the biggest part of the game (multiplayer, which from I heard doesn't even work anyway). Sorry, 20 years from now, the unlucky soul to buy that game won't get the main part of the game!
Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
Offline SUPER-G  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:37:56 PM(UTC)
SUPER-G
Colonel
Canada

Originally Posted by: Gameanater Go to Quoted Post
(IIRC?)

If I Recall Correctly

Originally Posted by: Gameanater Go to Quoted Post
But I want to touch on a big thing that bugs me right now with modern gaming in general.

You know, about 20 years from now, you probably won't be able to play Call of Duty. Because the servers for the stinkin' DAY ONE PATCH will be gone, and you won't be able to play the full game. Or with that new Halo and the 20GB day one patch that included the biggest part of the game (multiplayer, which from I heard doesn't even work anyway). Sorry, 20 years from now, the unlucky soul to buy that game won't get the main part of the game!

Chances are though that somebody will start servers that support those games (like C&C Online). They're too popular for everyone to just shove away and never play again.

And connecting this to the topic, PCs are better for this. Many games aren't able to easily connect to third party servers on consoles. The only console games that i know of that can do that is Mario Kart Double Dash!! for the 'cube, and MKwii.

+1 PC

Edited by user Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:38:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Discord - PK_Soar #9531
PK_Soar #9531

thanks 1 user thanked SUPER-G for this useful post.
Gameanater on 12/9/2014(UTC)
Offline Gameanater  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:43:00 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Originally Posted by: SUPER-G Go to Quoted Post

Chances are though that somebody will start servers that support those games (like C&C Online). They're too popular for everyone to just shove away and never play again.

And connecting this to the topic, PCs are better for this. Many games aren't able to easily connect to third party servers on consoles. The only console games that i know of that can do that is Mario Kart Double Dash!! for the 'cube, and MKwii.

+1 PC

Well, true, especially for the PC, but I'm still not sure how they'll get console's in on the fan server action like that. Eh, I a slight noob still, so I'm probably missing something here. xD
Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
Offline CaeDares  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 18, 2014 6:36:59 PM(UTC)
CaeDares
Captain
United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Glad there's some people that agree with me.(Also sorry if this topic is a bit old, now.) I do agree that consoles, handhelds, PCs, Laptops, ect. Ect. have their own pros and cons. Consoles you don't have to worry too much about it breaking down, overheating, ect. Handhelds are completely reliable and fun but lack the COD pro legit MLG graphics. So on and so forth. So unless you're really into the detail of what everything does, just pick what you like to play. I personally play on EVERYTHING, and yknow what? I love all of them. Even the Wii U. Its something new and fun. So just enjoy it before the next big thing comes out.
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

I may not be available between November 22nd and December 4th due to travelling. If you require my assistance, please Private Message me
thanks 2 users thanked CaeDares for this useful post.
SUPER-G on 12/19/2014(UTC), Gameanater on 12/21/2014(UTC)
Offline Gameanater  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2014 2:35:49 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Originally Posted by: caedares Go to Quoted Post
Glad there's some people that agree with me.(Also sorry if this topic is a bit old, now.) I do agree that consoles, handhelds, PCs, Laptops, ect. Ect. have their own pros and cons. Consoles you don't have to worry too much about it breaking down, overheating, ect. Handhelds are completely reliable and fun but lack the COD pro legit MLG graphics. So on and so forth. So unless you're really into the detail of what everything does, just pick what you like to play. I personally play on EVERYTHING, and yknow what? I love all of them. Even the Wii U. Its something new and fun. So just enjoy it before the next big thing comes out.

It's not too old. Smile

Anyway, yeah. Not much I can add to that I guess.
Offline AMGIntermission  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:28:09 AM(UTC)
AMGIntermission
Major

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Can't beat Consoles doing this gaming thing man, As a guy who only used them until 2007, How soft their Graphics are along with that Zero crunch operation, Kind of looked this challenge down! However P.c's Personal use i.e. C.A.D and Research along with interactiveness does represent a worthy challenge....

Quote:
Just not necessarily in Gaming.....
UserPostedImage
Offline zero hour mad map maker  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2016 4:17:36 PM(UTC)
zero hour mad map maker
Colonel
Canada

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 119 post(s)
I love using Pc's to mod and "rig" games, but all in all I still prefer the console over the PC.
Ready for Anything! --- C&C Labs Staff , Maps Staff , Moderator
Offline Spacehead  
#12 Posted : Saturday, December 24, 2016 1:36:31 AM(UTC)
Spacehead
Private
United States

I used to be a hardcore consol gamer, but then the PS3 era came along and ruined that. Graphics are cool but sacrificing gameplay length to have those graphics isn't. I ended up just evolving into being more of a PC gamer through playing RA2 YR, playing and modding C&C Generals, playing Minecraft, and then discoviring Stellaris, Space Engineers, and Elite Dangerous. I would like to play everything on a consol, but I also like having a lot of space and having a lot of things to do.