Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gameanater  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:01:35 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 144 post(s)
Does anyone else feel like Yuri's Initiate infantry dudes are a tad bit overpowered while a group is garrisoned in a building? I mean, a building with ten Initiates in it basically creates a next to unbeatable defense from infantry and tanks... they make ridiculously short work of the Battle Fortresses and Apocalypses Tanks. Like, literally 1 second and the tanks have gone from full health to DEAD! True though, an Initiate Garrison can't defend itself from something like a V3 Launcher or aircraft... but still!

Not saying I don't like using Initiate Garrisons myself... :P
Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
Sponsor
Offline CommieDog  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 12:09:48 AM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 130 post(s)
I dunno, the Initiate's garrisoned strength kind of makes up for the fact that it's not super cheap like the Conscript and can't deploy for more power like the GI.
UserPostedImage
CommieDog: Because someone has to do your dirty work for you
Offline Gameanater  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 7:03:54 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Originally Posted by: CommieDog Go to Quoted Post
I dunno, the Initiate's garrisoned strength kind of makes up for the fact that it's not super cheap like the Conscript and can't deploy for more power like the GI.

I suppose, but by default and garrisoned they are already close to the power of a Deployed GI and above that of a Conscript. They also build crazy fast very quickly into the game (I'm still not 100% sure how building/training speed works) and can be mass produced very easily and without too much money used up, ESPECIALLY with a Cloning Vat (which is simply fun to have). And they're the exact same cost as a GI.

But they're crazy fun to have garrisoned and obliterating tanks if you're the one controlling them... Like, with infantry, it's basically...

Initiate Garrison: *Idle*
Engineer: *Walks by while on his way to an Oil Derrick*
Initiate Garrison: *All of them fire at once* *Fhom*
Engineer: *Not even half a second goes by and he's burned to a crisp* AAUHGH!! *Runs around dead and burning and dissolves on the ground*
Initiate Garrison: *Troll Face*
Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
Offline CommieDog  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 10:03:27 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Building speed in YR was based primarily on cost (though the Grizzly and Rhino Tanks had build speed multipliers that made them build more slowly than their cost would suggest). So while Initiates certainly trained quickly, they didn't train more quickly than their counterparts. Well, unless you had a Cloning Vat...
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked CommieDog for this useful post.
Gameanater on 4/19/2014(UTC)
Offline Gameanater  
#5 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 5:51:04 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Ohhh! THAT'S how it works! I was thinking it went like this:
The higher your Power Level is, the faster your units build. Low power? Slow build speed for you, pal! Sell off a structure and build anodder Plant!

lol....

I guess it is balanced out. No garrison in the Red Alerts has any kind of defense against air or artillery like a V3 Launcher, I suppose. So I guess it works.

AND IT'S AWESOME TO HAVE YOUR OWN INITIATE GARRISONZ!! Big Smile

That's also kinda interesting about the Grizzley and Rhino Tanks...

Now to ask a new question!
Whatchu think of the Soviet ending, and the (canon) Allied ending? I personally thought the Allied ending tried to be way too awesome with it's time travel bit with the timelines merging... It didn't make the least bit of sense....
But I liked the Soviet ending, not 'cause I'm a fan of communism or anything, but because--

Edited by user Friday, November 13, 2015 10:48:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Inserted SPOILER tags

Offline CommieDog  
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 7:44:19 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
United States

Originally Posted by: Gameanater Go to Quoted Post
Ohhh! THAT'S how it works! I was thinking it went like this:
The higher your Power Level is, the faster your units build. Low power? Slow build speed for you, pal! Sell off a structure and build anodder Plant!

Having insufficient power did cause production to slow. But having lots of excess power didn't make things build any faster.

Now to ask a new question!
Whatchu think of the Soviet ending, and the (canon) Allied ending?

The Soviet ending was better, for the reason you gave.
UserPostedImage
Offline Gameanater  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:32:17 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Hehehehe...

I do think though that everything leading up to the last mission for the Allies was great. I absolutely love Hollywood In Vain (even if I don't get the title)... The movie star units are crazy fun to use!

I didn't really like the last Allied mission because having to focus on constructing two different faction's bases like that was just too much... I ended up sort of cheating and building everything for the Allied structures up to the Repair Pad so I could build an Allied MVC at the Soviet War Factory, sell off all the other Allied buildings, then focus on one base again...

I also really didn't like the fact that, since it takes place in Antarctica, there's almost no buildings around for you to garrison...

And, it was rather odd to me that there TWO separate Yuri AIs on that map... Made things slightly harder but, it didn't make that much sense. (One purple Yuri and one pink Yuri.) It made sense for Tomb Raided because of having to get Tanya to rescue Einstein and all, but not so much here.

Also too bad we never got to face a Yuri Prime once in the campaigns.

I really hate that I sound like I'm bashing what is still a really really awesome game, but one last thing...

Why is there no Yuri campaign? That's what I think the game's biggest problem was; no Yuri campaign.
Offline zzc  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 9:58:02 AM(UTC)
zzc
Major
Malaysia

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Hehehehe...

I do think though that everything leading up to the last mission for the Allies was great. I absolutely love Hollywood In Vain (even if I don't get the title)... The movie star units are crazy fun to use!

I didn't really like the last Allied mission because having to focus on constructing two different faction's bases like that was just too much... I ended up sort of cheating and building everything for the Allied structures up to the Repair Pad so I could build an Allied MVC at the Soviet War Factory, sell off all the other Allied buildings, then focus on one base again...

I also really didn't like the fact that, since it takes place in Antarctica, there's almost no buildings around for you to garrison...

And, it was rather odd to me that there TWO separate Yuri AIs on that map... Made things slightly harder but, it didn't make that much sense. (One purple Yuri and one pink Yuri.) It made sense for Tomb Raided because of having to get Tanya to rescue Einstein and all, but not so much here.

Also too bad we never got to face a Yuri Prime once in the campaigns.

I really hate that I sound like I'm bashing what is still a really really awesome game, but one last thing...

Why is there no Yuri campaign? That's what I think the game's biggest problem was; no Yuri campaign.

The ultra villain never gets own campaign, just like CABAL in Firestorm
The movie stars were kinda fun
Squashing buildings helps in the last allied mission
Offline Jeneral Yusuf  
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 1, 2015 4:41:00 AM(UTC)
Jeneral Yusuf
Captain
Malaysia

I wonder why the ultra villain never gets its own campaign?
Offline Jeneral Yusuf  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 10:35:35 AM(UTC)
Jeneral Yusuf
Captain
Malaysia

gameanater try a mod called mental omega this mod gives new graphics to ra2:yr and new units with a yuri campaign!