To all the people out there, desperately trying to install and play the ORIGINAL Red Alert 95 with the original game discs WITHOUT having color or installation trouble:
I GOTTA PRESENT FOR YA !
Installing and running „Red Alert 95” + expansion discs (add-on discs) on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit version / Windows XP
This guide is thought to install and run the ORIGINAL “Red Alert95” on Windows 7 Ultimate / XP WITHOUT experiencing the weird color problem (mixed up / wrong displayed colors). Sometimes it happens that the game crashes or freezes. For that reason, I highly recommend to save your state / game frequently not to lose your mission progress.
As I am translating this from German into English, I do not know which name the “ALARM” folder has on the English CDROMS. I suppose it is called “RED ALERT”, "ALERT" or similar.
I am not responsible for any error or damage to your hard disc or operating system, which occurs by usage of this guide.
Guide for Windows XP-users:
1) You will need all original discs (except the 2nd main disc of the game)
2) Insert the “Red Alert 95” disc 1 “Allies disc) into your DVD/CDROM/BLURAY drive.
3) Copy the “INSTALL” folder on your hard disc. Most suitable is the path C:\WESTWOOD\ALARM (Rename the “INSTALL” folder to “ALARM”)
4) Double click on “Install Icon” (to install the icons for the startup menu)
5) Insert the “Counterstrike” mission disc to your CDROM drive, and then go to the “SETUP” folder. Inside it, there is a folder called “INSTALL”
6) Copy all the three files which are inside it to your “ALARM” directory and execute the file PATCH.EXE.
7) A DOS window appears, where “nothing found” / “cannot be found” ( I don’t know the exact writing, because I only own the German version) is written
8) Type “cstrike” (without the “) and the computer is beginning to update the installation.
9) Next double click again on “Install Icon”.
10) Insert the “Aftermath” mission disc and proceed as described in step 5. The difference is, that PATCH.EXE is now auto-executed. At last, click again on “Install Icon”
11) Execute the “RA95” on compatibility mode for Windows 95/98 and check the box at “de-activate visual designs”
12) Open the folder where your “Red Alert 95” is installed, double click on RASETUP and configure these settings: Screen resolution 640 x 480 and check the boxes at “buffering in hardware memory” or something like that and “allow hardware-filled blits”
13) But what is that? Are you experiencing the color problem? Don’t worry, I have developed a solution. Just use a .bat file instead of the RA95.exe. This will – only for the time during which you play the game – stop the “explorer.exe” and after leaving the game, just press the “Enter” button and the “explorer.exe” will be restarted automatically.
14) Use the attached bat-file for it.
15) Just copy the file in the “Red Alert” folder and execute it instead of the RA95.exe
16) If there appears a message saying if you would like the software with unknown author to do changes to your computer, click “yes” or “ok”. (If the message appears in German click “Ja”; I don’t know whether the bat-file is related to the language of the operating system)
17) Before starting the game, the game disc / mission disc has to be inserted.
Have fun !
Guide for Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit users:
1) You will need the Virtual PC plugin for your operating system
2) Start the Virtual PC
3) Follow the steps 2 – 17
4) Copy the “ALARM” or “Red Alert” folder from your virtual hard drive C: to your “real” hard drive C:
5) Have fun !
Important note for all users:
After having finished the installation, you can copy the files, which are inside the “ALARM” or “Red Alert” folder or the whole folder to any destination desired by yourself on your hard disc. Check all the boxes in the compatibilty mode of the RA95.exe including this one for the administration mode. Change the compatibility settings to Windows 95/98. If in the bat file, the boxes for the compatibility mode aren't checked yet, do that also. You only have to execute the mentioned bat file instead of the .exe.
!! ATTENTION !! The bat file has to be inside the destination folder of "Red Alert 95" to work.
I own the German version, for that reason, I cannot guarantee if it works for other language versions also.
Normally, this way, it should work without causing trouble.
Edited by user Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:27:40 AM(UTC)
| Reason: Not specified