Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline zocom7  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:57:49 PM(UTC)
zocom7
Private

I am fan of Red Alert and Red Alert was my first game and most favorite C&C game. I thank you guys for making this incredible awesome remake mod for RA3. Overall I thought it was a very good game. However, the issues and balancing bore me and it feels like I am playing a beta version of "The Red Alert" instead of the full 1.0 version since there's no SP campaign.

This is a cumulative updated all-in-one changelist for the upcoming future patch for "The Red Alert" mod. I just thought this might be the perfect time to combine all of the changes and discussions from past threads (from other users) into one huge changelist. This Red Alert remake mod for RA3 isn't perfect and on par with RA1 until the following new changes are issued. As of the first version of the Red Alert, the ChronoTanks the V2 Rocket Launchers are OP. Yep, I have seen it all.

Global Changes to be edited:
1) Build time should be decreased if more than one construction yard, war factory, naval yard and/or barracks is built. The completion building time delay should also be removed. The reason is that it should reduce time on building a base, not the slower, boring way. In RA1, that was okay. The build time needs a decreased time in building on some of the certain units and structures:
-- Chronosphere and Iron Curtain build time reduced to 40 seconds instead of 56.
-- ChronoTank and Demo Truck build time reduced to 35 seconds instead of 48.
-- Ore Refinery and War Factory build time reduced to 30 seconds instead of 40.
-- Mammoth Tank build time reduced to 30 seconds instead of 36.
-- Mad Tank build time reduced to 40 seconds instead of 46.
-- Tech Center build time increased to 40 seconds instead of 30.

2) MCVs need to be redeployable since that option existed in RA1. It's really useful to move it to other areas when there's no ore in the closest location and the player moves to another location, rather than building another MCV for money and time. Also MCVs (as well as a Construction Yard) need a health buff since they get destroyed almost too quickly.

3) The Russia Soviet faction as well as the France Allied faction are supposed to have 10% lower cost on all units and structures and a 10% faster build time rate. The Russia Soviet faction should have a Mammoth Tank to start with.

4) All ore trucks need to move, collect and unload ore faster just like the ones in RA1 to buff the economy ingame. Also they need a small HP buff and a "return" cursor to the refinery in case if they do nothing or get stuck.

5) Voice taunts are a huge mess. It should be vehicle taunts on vehicles and infantry taunts on infantry. Otherwise, the taunts don't match the make taunt responses from the same unit.

6) All infantry need a slight buff in moving speed so they can scout faster and increase awareness if they get crushed or squashed by vehicles.

7) Allied ChronoTanks need a significant nerf in attack damage since they are too powerful against structures. The ability to chronoshift one area to another is supposed to have a 30-second cooldown before using it again.

8) V2 Rocket should have a five second reload time before launching another rocket and attack. It was too fast reloading. Also it's health should be decreased a bit.

9) Allied Artillery needs to be evenly matched on attack range with the garrisoned infantry with rockets. The attack range wasn't long enough when the artillery attacked the structures.

10) All rocket soldiers need a nerf in the way they attack. Their range is supposed to be inaccurate just like the ones in Red Alert 1. They can somehow easily attack dogs and any heavy vehicle in that way.

11) The nuke splash radius by the Missile Silo should be increased to around 300-400. Don't follow and inspire what Westwood did in a skirmish game, that was definitely incorrect. The nuke splash radius was far greater than that because I recognized that in some SP missions. The real nuke in RA1 took out most of my base in some Allied missions. It would be even better if the damage and splash radius of the nuke is about the same to the one in C&C3.

12) The maps needs more bigger zoom as well as lower zoom for all maps (even the ones imported into this mod). Some structures are way too big even shown in maximum zoom of all maps.

13) There need to be more bigger and improved splash effects on the missiles and the flames. Some players are not seeing much ingame.

14) The Allied Cruiser needs more armor and health since it took way less than ten torpedoes from the Soviet submarines to be destroyed in battle.

15) Allied GPS Satellite countdown needs to be shown as a superweapon and as a support power. After the entire map is shown, hide the support power.

16) Allies/Soviets need some units (other than dogs) or defense structures to detect spies or enemy stealth.

17) There needs to be a "enter" cursor on the service depot rather than moving the damaged vehicles to the other direction of the service depot in order for the vehicle or vehicles to be repaired. Also the Chinook was unable to be repaired on the service depot.

18) The Allied Spy should be amphibious so it can infiltrate an enemy Sub Pen and get the Sonar Pulse support power.

19) Migs need a buff on attack power. In RA1, it took two migs to take down a heavy tank, not three.

20) Placing mines by a Mine Layer should have a ten second cooldown and placing a mine is slower than the one in RA1.

21) The flames need more splash and flashy effects since there was barely any.

Bugs/Glitches/Issues to be edited:
1) Some units cannot attack even when they are in aggressive mode or guard mode, even when they are being attacked.
2) The AI needs to get use of the naval units especially on hard and brutal difficulty when it really did not ingame.
3) The naval transport can move on land (but at a very slow pace) when it is meant to move on water only.
4) Longbow Helicopter cannot follow orders when attacking until its weapon load is empty.
5) Ore and gemstones should not be grown on the water making them unharvestable. This will cause ore trucks unable to harvest them on the water and they are not amphibious unless a player orders the trucks to go someplace else for ore and gemstones that are on land.
6) No one can't get multiple units to the service depot at the same time and the lack of the move command cursor on the service depot prevents that to happen. Only one at a time is embarassing.
7) Muzzle flashes wasn't shown from some of the tanks when they attack with their cannon fire.

Other Suggestions:
1) Add the ore silos ingame to keep the credit limit to all players and AIs unless a player or AI builds more silos or refineries. Any credits overfilled should not lose money just like in C&C3. Because of that, the ore trucks will not unload the money (and even collect ore) because the refineries and silos are at maximum capacity.

2) Add in Allied fake buildings for the Allies to trick the enemy.

3) Tesla units should require Tech Center to be built instead of Tesla Coil.

4) If possible, the theme to the RA3 main menu should be changed to a RA1 main menu and the credits menu theme should be changed to the Reload remix theme. The score menu theme should be the RA1 score theme.

5) Soviet is supposed to have Volkov as the commando, not Tanya. Also the Phase Transport and Hellicarrier are also supposed to be used ingame.

6) The original Hell March theme needs to be heard in-game. So far I did not hear that in most maps except for the intro video. I did hear some remixes of the RA1 tracks though.

7) Due to the heavy shroud and fog covering, some infantry deserve more vision range when scouting on the field. The same goes to all vehicles.

8) Veterancy experience from battle should be harder to achieve to all units since some units get promoted so quickly.

9) The bottom left corner which is the top-secret protocols should be removed ingame because it's useless. Any faction with a special ability does not need a top-secret protocol, it should apply to some units automatically.

10) Add in technician units, the Einstein unit and perhaps the four types of ants (including queen ant) to make the game more fun.

Edited by user Saturday, October 1, 2011 7:17:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Offline OmegaBolt  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:37:35 PM(UTC)
OmegaBolt
Private

Ok I know this is your opinion but some of there are nonsense and don't seem thought through.

zocom7 wrote:
feels like I am playing a beta version of "The Red Alert" instead of the full 1.0 version since there's no SP campaign.
You really thought there'd be singleplayer? How long did you want to wait?

zocom7 wrote:
Unlike all C&C games, the RA1 tech center is cheaper and shorter than the ore refinery and war factory.
The Tech Center in RA1 was always 1500 and cheaper (therefore building faster than) the War Factory. The Ore Refinery was more expensive but still built quicker due to the Harvester, which didn't add to the build time length.

I agree that at first things seemed slow, but then I'm used to playing RA1 on speed 5 whereas this is about speed 4. After getting used to it it feels fine though.

zocom7 wrote:
All infantry units are slow ... Suggestion is to buff all infantry with more speed
I think that'd really ruin it. Infantry are great in hordes, especially since structures are fragile. They're also excellent at defense, I always keep a few built around the base and of course to garrison structures.

zocom7 wrote:
The nuke splash radius by the Missile Silo should be doubled to around 400-500. Don't follow and inspire what Westwood did in a skirmish game, that was definitely incorrect. The nuke splash radius was far greater than that because I recognized that in some SP missions. The real nuke in RA1 took out most of my base in some Allied missions.
RA1 had good SWs in that they weren't particularly devastating, which they shouldn't be. It's quite lame to have your base demolished in ten seconds. The SWs here are useful but not overpowering. Note that the Nuke in RA1 had increased power in the singleplayer.

zocom7 wrote:
The naval transport issue: the transport can even move on land even though it was mainly moving on water. It moves very slowly on land though and that isn't supposed to happen.
As far as I see it is supposed to happen. It needs to move on land so units can enter however in order to stick with the rules of RA1 it isn't supposed to be amphibious so this is a little compromise. I think it works, though any smoothing of the method would be welcome.

zocom7 wrote:
The maps needs more bigger zoom as well as lower zoom for all maps (even the ones imported into this mod)
Never had an issue with the zoom level myself, I think it's at a good level (but I also don't understand people wanting higher resolutions for the original games).
Offline zocom7  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2011 7:18:52 AM(UTC)
zocom7
Private

I updated most of the global changes, bug issues and more suggestions for this mod in the first post. Feel free to comment but I doubt if Bibpaws will reconsider this.
Offline Blbpaws  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2011 10:23:14 AM(UTC)
Blbpaws
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 32 post(s)
I do in fact read and consider all feedback (and appreciate it, so long as it's in a constructive tone).

I think it's important to remember the balance we have to strike between remaking RA1 and bringing it in line with modern standards. For example, yes, build times are slower--intentionally so, in fact, but not as slow as in RA1. Yes, aircraft are less useful than in RA3, but more useful than in the original. This mod isn't RA3 and it isn't meant to be. That said, balancing only gets better with feedback, so we'll definitely be taking this into account.
UserPostedImage
Offline natino  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2011 11:30:43 AM(UTC)
natino
Private

excellent feedback I agree with everything
Offline fighterrx  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2011 11:40:17 AM(UTC)
fighterrx
Private

zocom7 wrote:
5) Ore and gemstones should not be grown on the water making them unharvestable. This will cause ore trucks unable to harvest them on the water and they are not amphibious unless a player orders the trucks to go someplace else for ore and gemstones that are on land.

This problem seems to be experienced, when you have downloaded other maps for Red Alert 3 and they have not yet been implemented in the mod(For Example, the bay of pigs). I have seen this issue countless number of times and so far none of original(maps coming with the mod) had such problems.
Offline cgf123`  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:44:29 PM(UTC)
cgf123`
Captain

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
zocom7 wrote:

Global Changes to be edited:
1) Build time should be decreased if more than one construction yard, war factory, naval yard and/or barracks is built. The completion building time delay should also be removed. The reason is that it should reduce time on building a base, not the slower, boring way. In RA1, that was okay. The build time needs a decreased time in building on some of the certain units and structures:
-- Chronosphere and Iron Curtain build time reduced to 40 seconds instead of 56.
-- ChronoTank and Demo Truck build time reduced to 35 seconds instead of 48.
-- Ore Refinery and War Factory build time reduced to 30 seconds instead of 40.
-- Mammoth Tank build time reduced to 30 seconds instead of 36.
-- Mad Tank build time reduced to 40 seconds instead of 46.
-- Tech Center build time increased to 40 seconds instead of 30.

2) MCVs need to be redeployable since that option existed in RA1. It's really useful to move it to other areas when there's no ore in the closest location and the player moves to another location, rather than building another MCV for money and time. Also MCVs (as well as a Construction Yard) need a health buff since they get destroyed almost too quickly.

3) The Russia Soviet faction as well as the France Allied faction are supposed to have 10% lower cost on all units and structures and a 10% faster build time rate. The Russia Soviet faction should have a Mammoth Tank to start with.

4) All ore trucks need to move, collect and unload ore faster just like the ones in RA1 to buff the economy ingame. Also they need a small HP buff and a "return" cursor to the refinery in case if they do nothing or get stuck.

5) Voice taunts are a huge mess. It should be vehicle taunts on vehicles and infantry taunts on infantry. Otherwise, the taunts don't match the make taunt responses from the same unit.

6) All infantry need a slight buff in moving speed so they can scout faster and increase awareness if they get crushed or squashed by vehicles.

7) Allied ChronoTanks need a significant nerf in attack damage since they are too powerful against structures. The ability to chronoshift one area to another is supposed to have a 30-second cooldown before using it again.

8) V2 Rocket should have a five second reload time before launching another rocket and attack. It was too fast reloading. Also it's health should be decreased a bit.

9) Allied Artillery needs to be evenly matched on attack range with the garrisoned infantry with rockets. The attack range wasn't long enough when the artillery attacked the structures.

10) All rocket soldiers need a nerf in the way they attack. Their range is supposed to be inaccurate just like the ones in Red Alert 1. They can somehow easily attack dogs and any heavy vehicle in that way.

11) The nuke splash radius by the Missile Silo should be increased to around 300-400. Don't follow and inspire what Westwood did in a skirmish game, that was definitely incorrect. The nuke splash radius was far greater than that because I recognized that in some SP missions. The real nuke in RA1 took out most of my base in some Allied missions. It would be even better if the damage and splash radius of the nuke is about the same to the one in C&C3.

12) The maps needs more bigger zoom as well as lower zoom for all maps (even the ones imported into this mod). Some structures are way too big even shown in maximum zoom of all maps.

13) There need to be more bigger and improved splash effects on the missiles and the flames. Some players are not seeing much ingame.

14) The Allied Cruiser needs more armor and health since it took way less than ten torpedoes from the Soviet submarines to be destroyed in battle.

15) Allied GPS Satellite countdown needs to be shown as a superweapon and as a support power. After the entire map is shown, hide the support power.

16) Allies/Soviets need some units (other than dogs) or defense structures to detect spies or enemy stealth.

17) There needs to be a "enter" cursor on the service depot rather than moving the damaged vehicles to the other direction of the service depot in order for the vehicle or vehicles to be repaired. Also the Chinook was unable to be repaired on the service depot.

18) The Allied Spy should be amphibious so it can infiltrate an enemy Sub Pen and get the Sonar Pulse support power.

19) Migs need a buff on attack power. In RA1, it took two migs to take down a heavy tank, not three.

20) Placing mines by a Mine Layer should have a ten second cooldown and placing a mine is slower than the one in RA1.

21) The flames need more splash and flashy effects since there was barely any.

Bugs/Glitches/Issues to be edited:
1) Some units cannot attack even when they are in aggressive mode or guard mode, even when they are being attacked.
2) The AI needs to get use of the naval units especially on hard and brutal difficulty when it really did not ingame.
3) The naval transport can move on land (but at a very slow pace) when it is meant to move on water only.
4) Longbow Helicopter cannot follow orders when attacking until its weapon load is empty.
6) No one can't get multiple units to the service depot at the same time and the lack of the move command cursor on the service depot prevents that to happen. Only one at a time is embarassing.
7) Muzzle flashes wasn't shown from some of the tanks when they attack with their cannon fire.

Other Suggestions:
1) Add the ore silos ingame to keep the credit limit to all players and AIs unless a player or AI builds more silos or refineries. Any credits overfilled should not lose money just like in C&C3. Because of that, the ore trucks will not unload the money (and even collect ore) because the refineries and silos are at maximum capacity.

2) Add in Allied fake buildings for the Allies to trick the enemy.

3) Tesla units should require Tech Center to be built instead of Tesla Coil.

4) If possible, the theme to the RA3 main menu should be changed to a RA1 main menu and the credits menu theme should be changed to the Reload remix theme. The score menu theme should be the RA1 score theme.

5) Soviet is supposed to have Volkov as the commando, not Tanya. Also the Phase Transport and Hellicarrier are also supposed to be used ingame.

6) The original Hell March theme needs to be heard in-game. So far I did not hear that in most maps except for the intro video. I did hear some remixes of the RA1 tracks though.

7) Due to the heavy shroud and fog covering, some infantry deserve more vision range when scouting on the field. The same goes to all vehicles.

8) Veterancy experience from battle should be harder to achieve to all units since some units get promoted so quickly.

9) The bottom left corner which is the top-secret protocols should be removed ingame because it's useless. Any faction with a special ability does not need a top-secret protocol, it should apply to some units automatically.

10) Add in technician units, the Einstein unit and perhaps the four types of ants (including queen ant) to make the game more fun.

- fog is definitely the biggest the issue atm in the game... units have poor sight range, fog regrows back too fast and map shroud is just plain unecessary.

- build times are fine... once you get multiple mcv's you can actually build multiple buildings at crazy speeds. and the game is already totally a basecrawlfest.
i would advise against touching build times at this point because i dont think its a big issue atm.

what is unfortunate though is the sluggish economy which also dies out fast so by the time you have those multiple mcv's youre pretty starved for cash.

so yes, higher ore collection rate+faster ore growth really, really needed.

- dont start nerfing and buffing units left and right already... im referring to your v2 rockets, rocket inf, cruiser, minelayer suggestions.
its too early to judge precisely so i think ONLY the most obvious issues should be dealt with for now; like chronotanks being a bit too effective, artillery not having enough range (but theyll need a nerf vs inf after a range buff), rocket/tank weapons being too strong vs infantry, infantry being a bit too slow in general, dogs being plain useless.

Edited by user Saturday, October 1, 2011 9:56:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

'The Red Alert' mod with more refined balancing+bugfixes:
Check it out!
Offline zechsmarqise9  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2011 8:01:04 PM(UTC)
zechsmarqise9
Private

Thus far I think that this mod is awesome, the thing I noticed right away is that rocket infantry are FAR to effective vs everything. Granted they were always that effective vs aircraft but they were never as effective vs infantry, my riflemen are loosing to rocket troops one on one. Even against vehicles they seem a bit too effective but not by too much. Another thing is it seems that machine guns aren't as effective vs infantry as maybe they should be. Last thing, and this isn't an issue, I always like the death animations from flame throwers in RA1 and it would be cool if there was something like that in the mod.