Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline i^love^mixery  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 28, 2011 4:40:45 PM(UTC)
i^love^mixery
Colonel

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 147 post(s)
i just thought that ANYONE of you might have an idea why this is not possible:
you make a script like:

"Unit 1 gets destroyed"

then you export the script, save it on desktop, open it with notepad, change the 1 to a 2, so that it says "Unit 2 gets destroyed", then you go back to worldbuilder and try to import the script and what happens? the worldbuilder crashs!!!

WHY THE HELL? i mean seriously!

there is NO LOGICAL way that this would happen!

i even tried the following:

exported one script with the name "Unit 1" and one script with the name "Unit 2", then i opened both .scb files with notepad and compared the lines:

they are ABSOLUTELY exactly the freaking same (except the "1" and "2" of course)!! every single character is exactly the same so how the hell can the worldbuilder differ between manually edited .scb files and original ones?

even if you save a .scb file, open it with notepad, change nothing and then click on SAVE the worldbuilder wont accept that .scb file anymore. even if you change NOTHING.

why?

is there ANY way to open and edit .scb files without the worldbuilder noticing?

it has nothing to do with the program itself. it must be some copyright bullcrap or some windows related crap. i know that those windows tools might add some unwanted characters to the file. even if those are not displayed. could please anybody of you try to solve this issue with me? please..

i also asked the same question in a german forum, full with thousands of programmer NERDS, lets see where i get the answer faster Big Smile

Edited by user Sunday, August 28, 2011 5:00:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Offline Sarevok  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 28, 2011 6:49:07 PM(UTC)
Sarevok
Private

I have an idea about why.

As you alluded to, notepad is adding/removing characters, and the world build is not appreciating that. You maybe better off if there is a program to edit the files, getting that to edit them. It may look exactly the same (as in plane text in both case) but the program may add the end/start data that makes the world builder happier inside :)
Offline i^love^mixery  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 5:39:03 AM(UTC)
i^love^mixery
Colonel

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 147 post(s)
i did it! :D

the nerds from the german programmer forum told me to use a hexeditor instead of notepad and NOW IT WORKKKS!!

if you want to do it too then i can only recommend you to use a hexeditor like Hex-Editor MX!! :)

really nice stuff. this will save A LOT of my time.
thanks 1 user thanked i^love^mixery for this useful post.
Nooboi on 6/12/2022(UTC)
Offline Drummin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:56:02 AM(UTC)
Drummin
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffMaps Staff: Maps Staff MemberRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff Member

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
i^love^mixery wrote:
i did it! :D

the nerds from the german programmer forum told me to use a hexeditor instead of notepad and NOW IT WORKKKS!!

if you want to do it too then i can only recommend you to use a hexeditor like Hex-Editor MX!! :)

really nice stuff. this will save A LOT of my time.

Well that's cool. I remember asking about using notepad years ago when I was editing one of my beasts. Nice to hear there is a way to edit outside WB.