Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mr. Green  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 26, 2011 8:13:23 AM(UTC)
Mr. Green
Captain

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I apologize for asking so many, questions; I just have that many questions and new ones are arriving.

I also want to personally thank Phe0n1x for doing the best he can in helping with my computer upgrade process (which is taking a redonkulous amount of time because of complications!).

Question #1. Can a faulty capacitor inhibit the instalation of new hardware and inevitibly software for the new hardware? Can it also inhibit speed? I have another computer that has considerablly less data on it, but a fourth the RAM and a slower processor, but it is faster than my Dell.

Question #2. I have bought a Nvidia GeForce 8400GS (PCI interface) graphics card for my Dell GX-240 Desktop computer. I was able to install the new card in it after playing with the BIOS. I had the BIOS graphics card on AGP, and I placed the new card and installed all the required drivers and everything. It did register in the device manager. So after that I went to the Renegade "Config.exe" tool to change the primary driver from my old stone age piece of crap to my new Nvidia card, but it was not there. Then I restarted the computer and my new card would not even appear in the device manager! If I load using just my new card, the screen goes blank (if I remember correctly the computer is supposed to install generic drivers), why?

Question #3. What is the biggest AGP card anyone ever came out with? My interface is AGP 8x/4x

By the way, I have 1GB of RAM, 2.8Ghz processor, plenty of Hard Drive space, and the power supply, which is 400w, can support the card.

PS: Question 2b. Why will it not register in the device manager after I unistalled the drivers in the machine and the card is in there?

Edited by user Sunday, March 6, 2011 9:34:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Controversial statements are the ones that utimately need to be discussed.
Sponsor
Offline Phe0n1x  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:07:13 PM(UTC)
Phe0n1x
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
1. I honestly don't know :(

2. have you updated your Desktop's BIOS? I'm not too knowledgeable in Renegade config stuff :S

3. 8x/4x is AGP standard. As of the ATI 3000 series, I know there was an AGP card. As for NVidia, I don't know.

2b. if you uninstall the drivers, the driver (the entry in the device manager) will be gone. (unless I'm not understanding the question)
UserPostedImage
Offline Mr. Green  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 12:34:04 PM(UTC)
Mr. Green
Captain

Sorry for question 2b, I did not articulate my question properly.

What I meant to say was, why can't I install the drivers for my card when it is in there?
It complains about the card physically not being there.

Yes, I have the latest BIOS for that computer.

Edited by user Monday, February 28, 2011 12:34:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Phe0n1x  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 6:05:55 PM(UTC)
Phe0n1x
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member

That shouldn't be happening....I honestly have no idea why that would happen.
UserPostedImage
Offline Mr. Green  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2011 12:02:32 PM(UTC)
Mr. Green
Captain

Ok, I had one of my computer friends test the new card out in another computer and it works fine in that one.

My guess is there is something in just that computer that makes the card not want to run. I am going to retest it in that computer and possibly another computer I have.

What kind of card may I buy that performs well under PCI-E 16x interface? Note: it does not need to be a present-day card.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 1, 2011 12:04:55 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Phe0n1x  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2011 5:42:04 PM(UTC)
Phe0n1x
Administrator

I....haven't used anything but PCI-E 2.0 (or 2.1) for 2 years now; but I think the ATI 2600 was a PCI-E 1.0 card.
UserPostedImage
Offline Mr. Green  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2011 12:56:11 PM(UTC)
Mr. Green
Captain

Thanks for the imput.

That Dell GX-240 motherboard is just simply too old. The reason it will not work is a chipset problem. This computer came out in...2001/2002 I think.

However, I have a back-up plan...
I have another computer that came out in 2004 and it might work in that one, since it is newer. I'll keep you posted.
Offline Mr. Green  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 4, 2011 12:18:00 PM(UTC)
Mr. Green
Captain

Okay

It worked in the other computer just fine.

The frame rates are a little slow though Sad

If I remeber correctly, the computer is automatically supposed to choose what the best perfomance vs. quality is and select that graphics preset. When I turned on Renegade, Generals, and C&C3, the game lagged (C&C3 was the worst). The detail in all three games was High, but it still lagged.

I think the problem is actually the computer and not the GPU this time (a buddy of mine with a better card was impressed with it, he said it rivaled his). If the computer can not physically keep up with the GPU, will the game lag, possibly considerably?

Edited by user Friday, March 4, 2011 12:20:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Phe0n1x  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 5, 2011 3:28:09 PM(UTC)
Phe0n1x
Administrator

It is very possible. In fact, for the most part, the CPU is the bottle neck of the computer and not the GPU.
UserPostedImage
Offline Mr. Green  
#10 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 9:21:27 AM(UTC)
Mr. Green
Captain

I got another question for ya:

Is a multi-core computer based just in the processor? My comp is a single core and if the two are compatible, I was thinking about just putting a multi-core (like two or three) in there. That way, I can run my game and another program fairly easily.

Is it possible to expand the RAM from 1GB to 2GB in my Compaq Presario SR1200NX?
Offline Phe0n1x  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2011 12:49:11 PM(UTC)
Phe0n1x
Administrator

Yes, multi-core refers t just the processor (CPU). According to 3 different sites on my google search, 2GB is the max your Compaq Presario's motherboard can handle.

Edited by user Sunday, March 6, 2011 12:49:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Mr. Green  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2011 12:25:16 PM(UTC)
Mr. Green
Captain

Another question:

I thought that on my computer there seemed to be an expansion section of the motherboard that had regular PCI slots on it, but then I got to thinking. Do PCI-E (2.0) expansion "slots"* exist? What I mean is, is there a small motherboard componet system that one can attatch to a computer that has PCI-E 2.0 slots on it. If there is, then all I have to do instead of buying a new computer that has a PCI-E 2.0 slot on it, I have to buy an expansion section for my computer and install it.
Offline Phe0n1x  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:54:28 PM(UTC)
Phe0n1x
Administrator

Nope, not that I know of, sorry :/
UserPostedImage
Offline Mr. Green  
#14 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2011 1:50:41 PM(UTC)
Mr. Green
Captain

Is it possible to have a game run using two graphics cards at a time?

If the above is true, is it possible for two cards to run using different interfaces (PCI and AGP) and different brands (Nvidia and ATI)?
Offline Phe0n1x  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2011 6:12:56 AM(UTC)
Phe0n1x
Administrator

I wouldn't recommend two cards with different interfaces or different brands, but two cards at the same time is possible. You would have to SLI or CrossFire them if you wanted them to work in unison. And even then they would have to be the same card or a derivative of the card.
UserPostedImage