Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mr. Green  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 4, 2011 12:37:24 PM(UTC)
Mr. Green
Captain

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Ok, I need to upgrade the graphics on my computer. My processor speed is 2.6Ghz, power supply 500w, 1.00 Gig of RAM, bus interface type is PCI, and it is not a core duo. I want my computer to run C&C3 on medium with no lag (25 FPS). What graphics card do I need? Graphics chip must have 512MB minimum, 1G prefered (if they make that big a chip).
Controversial statements are the ones that utimately need to be discussed.
Sponsor
Offline Phe0n1x  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 11:00:29 AM(UTC)
Phe0n1x
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
With a PCI interface, you are severely limited. Here's a list of cards that meet the PCI requirement (Newegg): http://www.newegg.com/Pr...bop=And&Pagesize=100

None of them are going to be that great, it's PCI after all. If you had PCI-E, that would be a different matter.
UserPostedImage
Offline Mr. Green  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:15:00 PM(UTC)
Mr. Green
Captain

Is there a converter between the two?

And I think I might have APG as well (not sure though).

I looked under just the video cards section...GEEZ, WHO NEEDS A 1.5G CARD THAT WILL RUN BLACK OPS ON FULL GRAPHICS, 1600p X 1200p RESOLUTION AT 50 FPS?! Goodness knows I'm not buying a card that's worth six Benjamins, heck, I'll barely buy a whole computer that's worth eight. I'll be happy if I can play CNC3 on medium or high with no lag, and the game is three years old for crying out loud!

Edited by user Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:31:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Phe0n1x  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 6, 2011 8:45:36 AM(UTC)
Phe0n1x
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member

Unfortunately, there's not.

If you have AGP, I'd go with that. It was used for video cards more than PCI ever was.

You can buy a great graphics card (if you have PCI-E 2.0) for less than $250 USD.

Specifications to look for:
128-bit or 256-bit data transfer rate (often it will just say 128 or 256; I don't recommend 64-bit transfer rate as it is rather out-dated)
512MB memory (since thats what you said previously)
UserPostedImage
Offline Mr. Green  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 7:45:16 AM(UTC)
Mr. Green
Captain

I got another question for ya.

What are the capabilities of these following cards in reference to the game graphics taht I specify?

NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 512MB Card (PNY): Command and Conquer 3

ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB Card (Gigabyte): Command and Conquer 3

NVIDIA Geforce 6200 512MB Card (Jaton): C&C3 and ZH

Edited by user Monday, February 21, 2011 7:45:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Phe0n1x  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 10:28:51 AM(UTC)
Phe0n1x
Administrator

8400GS is nearly 3 years old.

ATI 4650 is only 2 years old.

6200 is 4+ years old (probably 5)

They can all play what you want to play, however, the ATI will be thes best for the C&C3 due to it being new and the larger RAM. (or at least in theory).
UserPostedImage
Offline Mr. Green  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 21, 2011 2:42:20 PM(UTC)
Mr. Green
Captain

I know all of these cards can play the game, but I was wondering at what level of detail and resolution it would play.

I really do not care how old it is as long as it runs at least medium, but that doesn't apply to the third card as I am not intending for it to do that.

Edited by user Monday, February 21, 2011 2:43:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Phe0n1x  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:21:11 AM(UTC)
Phe0n1x
Administrator

I wouldn't know without owning the card. Each series is different and each manufacturer is different. The best you could do would be to look for reviews of the graphics card in question and estimate it yourself.

And you should care about age, the newer the card (and the higher the number*) the better the card will perform.

*NOTE: Nvidia started over after 9000 with the 200 series (and are now at the 500 series)

Edited by user Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:22:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Mr. Green  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:56:57 AM(UTC)
Mr. Green
Captain

What I meant is I do not want a present-day card as it will be 500-600 dollars for a nice one, I am not paying that much.

The same economic process that makes a single computer (or graphics card) a terrible investment, also make it a good idea to wait let's say a year or two for two-thirds to half the price of the item back then compared to now. So what would be state-of-the-art back then can still run the game I need it to and at the quality I want it at, but it is now less expensive. This is what I meant when I said "I really do not care how old it is as long as it runs at least medium." The latest-and-greatest card would be nice, but I cannot afford it, that is what I am saying.

Thanks for the advice and have a nice day. Cool

Oh and by the way, I learned that one of my newer computers has PCI-E (16).