Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gameanater  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2014 10:08:09 AM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 144 post(s)
Hello, this is my first real tutorial for anything really. So please forgive me if it sucks at all. Smile

I've made this mainly for my friend Zero Hour Mad Map Maker, who would like to know how to install a mod.

Note that this is for PC users, I have no idea if anything's different for a Mac or anything. Or for that matter if ZH even WORKS on a Mac.

Tutorial:

First, download mod. For this tutorial I'll be using the Small Changes Mod by KlingonDragon. Here is the mod.

Open "Downloads" in File Explorer. Open the .zip (or in some cases, .rar) file containing the mod. Most mods/addons SHOULD contain a Readme file of some sort that SHOULD tell you where to put everything.

For most stuff, the files should go in the directory for your copy of Zero Hour. I have The First Decade, so this is what mine looks like:

Computer / Local Disk / EA Games / Command & Conquer The First Decade/ Command and Conquer(tm) Generals Zero Hour

For those who don't have The First Decade it'll probably look the same but without the part that says "Command & Conquer The First Decade".

Open the Generals Zero Hour folder.

Amoungst the Folders, you should see one named "INI". Open this.

Basically this folder acts to the entire game like a map.ini acts to a single map. If you want to uninstall a mod, just delete everything in the INI folder and anything else you had to put elsewhere.

For Small Mod, there's already a folder named INI inside the .zip. Just copy this into the directory and replace the current INI folder, or if there isn't an INI folder already just copy it and don't worry.

Now for Generals.csf. This file contains the descriptions and names for all of the new stuff. If you don't copy this, you'll end up with stuff like "MISSING:ToolTipICBM". Generals.csf goes inside
\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour\Data\English
DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING ALREADY IN THERE

To uninstall the mod, just delete everything in the INI folder and delete the new Generals.csf file.

Now for really big mods like Pro:Gen, they'll likely be a Setup.Exe file or something named similar. This is great because there's a TON of files that don't all go in the same place. Just open the .Exe file and follow the provided instructions that it gives you.

If the creator of the mod is REALLY smart they'll include an .Exe file that gets put in the Zero Hour folder that you can open and use to easily uninstall the entire mod.

Just a tip: READ EVERYTHING THERE. Unlike big name companies there's actually IMPORTANT stuff that is VERY helpful to know and do in there. Like, make a back up copy of the scripts folder that already exists in ZH, or when you uninstall the mod you'll end up with a corrupt version of Zero Hour and have to re-install the original game.

Well I hoped this helped at least a little. I'm not too good at explaining stuff, so I'm sorry if I DIDN'T help anyone here. But at least I tried.

If someone could Sticky this that'd be great. Smile

Now get out there and blow stuff up.

-- Game

Edited by moderator Saturday, June 14, 2014 11:21:09 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Stickied

Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
thanks 3 users thanked Gameanater for this useful post.
CommieDog on 6/14/2014(UTC), zero hour mad map maker on 6/18/2014(UTC), mr_hymn_ on 4/18/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline CommieDog  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2014 11:20:25 AM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Sometimes a mod comes packaged in a BIG file. If that's the case, just drop the BIG file in your Generals or ZH directory and it should work.
UserPostedImage
CommieDog: Because someone has to do your dirty work for you
thanks 1 user thanked CommieDog for this useful post.
Gameanater on 6/14/2014(UTC)
Offline Gameanater  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2014 11:49:15 AM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Oh that's awesome. O_O
Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
Offline klingondragon  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2014 7:28:21 AM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom
Location: Laniakea; Virgo Supercluster; Local Sheet; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion–Cygnus Arm; Gould Belt; Local Bubble; Local Interstellar Cloud; Sol System; Sol III; Europe; United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland; Great Britain; England; Essex

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
When I first started nodding I edited the inizh file but then had no way to restore the original game so I ended up reinstalling it my advice: Leave the big files alone!
Offline CommieDog  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2014 8:35:34 AM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

I'm talking about a mod in its own BIG file, not the BIG files that Generals and ZH use.
UserPostedImage
Offline klingondragon  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2014 10:48:52 AM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom
Location: Laniakea; Virgo Supercluster; Local Sheet; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion–Cygnus Arm; Gould Belt; Local Bubble; Local Interstellar Cloud; Sol System; Sol III; Europe; United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland; Great Britain; England; Essex

ive always wondered how to do that but i still think its easyer and safer to use a collection of .ini files because they are easyer to edit if you need to
Offline CommieDog  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2014 1:45:10 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
United States

Originally Posted by: klingondragon Go to Quoted Post
ive always wondered how to do that

That is a subject for another tutorial. *pokes Gameanater*

but i still think its easyer and safer to use a collection of .ini files because they are easyer to edit if you need to

For production, yes. But when it's time to distribute your mod, packing everything into a single BIG file is the way to go. There's a lot less that can go wrong when there's only one mod file.
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users thanked CommieDog for this useful post.
Annihilationzh on 6/15/2014(UTC), zero hour mad map maker on 11/12/2016(UTC), AdrianeMapMaker on 1/17/2017(UTC)
Offline Gameanater  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2014 5:04:12 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Originally Posted by: CommieDog Go to Quoted Post

Durr... I'm sorry, but I have no idea how to create a functional .big file or anything like that... Just .ini's. Tongue

but i still think its easyer and safer to use a collection of .ini files because they are easyer to edit if you need to

For production, yes. But when it's time to distribute your mod, packing everything into a single BIG file is the way to go. There's a lot less that can go wrong when there's only one mod file.

That does make sense. If the mod breaks something you only have a single file to delete.
But then again if you want to mod the mod someone else did, it's easier if it's in .ini's.
Offline Annihilationzh  
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2014 11:15:54 PM(UTC)
Annihilationzh
General
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 475 time(s) in 331 post(s)

I laughed at you volunteering him.

FYI, to make a big file, create a data folder on your desktop and put your modded INI folder in it. Then open up FinalBIG, go to Edit-> Add Directory and choose the data folder. Then save it. Voila.
If you need help, post in the forum. You'll get help a lot faster than if you send me a PM.

I reject all buddy requests. I don't think 'buddy' needs to be made official. It's not like you're marrying me.
thanks 2 users thanked Annihilationzh for this useful post.
CommieDog on 6/16/2014(UTC), Gameanater on 8/3/2023(UTC)
Offline zero hour mad map maker  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:31:41 AM(UTC)
zero hour mad map maker
Colonel
Canada

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gameanater Go to Quoted Post
Hello, this is my first real tutorial for anything really. So please forgive me if it sucks at all. Smile

I've made this mainly for my friend Zero Hour Mad Map Maker, who would like to know how to install a mod.

Note that this is for PC users, I have no idea if anything's different for a Mac or anything. Or for that matter if ZH even WORKS on a Mac.

Tutorial:

First, download mod. For this tutorial I'll be using the Small Changes Mod by KlingonDragon. Here is the mod.

Open "Downloads" in File Explorer. Open the .zip (or in some cases, .rar) file containing the mod. Most mods/addons SHOULD contain a Readme file of some sort that SHOULD tell you where to put everything.

For most stuff, the files should go in the directory for your copy of Zero Hour. I have The First Decade, so this is what mine looks like:

Computer / Local Disk / EA Games / Command & Conquer The First Decade/ Command and Conquer(tm) Generals Zero Hour

For those who don't have The First Decade it'll probably look the same but without the part that says "Command & Conquer The First Decade".

Open the Generals Zero Hour folder.

Amoungst the Folders, you should see one named "INI". Open this.

Basically this folder acts to the entire game like a map.ini acts to a single map. If you want to uninstall a mod, just delete everything in the INI folder and anything else you had to put elsewhere.

For Small Mod, there's already a folder named INI inside the .zip. Just copy this into the directory and replace the current INI folder, or if there isn't an INI folder already just copy it and don't worry.

Now for Generals.csf. This file contains the descriptions and names for all of the new stuff. If you don't copy this, you'll end up with stuff like "MISSING:ToolTipICBM". Generals.csf goes inside
\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour\Data\English
DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING ALREADY IN THERE

To uninstall the mod, just delete everything in the INI folder and delete the new Generals.csf file.

Now for really big mods like Pro:Gen, they'll likely be a Setup.Exe file or something named similar. This is great because there's a TON of files that don't all go in the same place. Just open the .Exe file and follow the provided instructions that it gives you.

If the creator of the mod is REALLY smart they'll include an .Exe file that gets put in the Zero Hour folder that you can open and use to easily uninstall the entire mod.

Just a tip: READ EVERYTHING THERE. Unlike big name companies there's actually IMPORTANT stuff that is VERY helpful to know and do in there. Like, make a back up copy of the scripts folder that already exists in ZH, or when you uninstall the mod you'll end up with a corrupt version of Zero Hour and have to re-install the original game.

Well I hoped this helped at least a little. I'm not too good at explaining stuff, so I'm sorry if I DIDN'T help anyone here. But at least I tried.

If someone could Sticky this that'd be great. Smile

Now get out there and blow stuff up.

-- Game

Very good very good Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile I never knew any of that stuff until I read it, very helpful Big Smile Big Smile
Ready for Anything! --- C&C Labs Staff , Maps Staff , Moderator
Offline Gameanater  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:09:25 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Glad you found it at least a bit helpful, Mad. Cool
Offline khalilali  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2016 2:54:47 AM(UTC)
khalilali
Private

does anyone know how to add mods on mac version of the app?
Offline klingondragon  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2016 7:57:58 AM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom

Yes. Create a partition on the hard drive. install windows on that partition. Start your mac with windows. Install and play the game on the windows partition. --- Joke

Actually it should be a matter of copying the .big file the same as it is for PC.
thanks 1 user thanked klingondragon for this useful post.
CommieDog on 6/29/2016(UTC)
Offline AdrianeMapMaker  
#14 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2016 11:19:15 PM(UTC)
AdrianeMapMaker
General
Philippines

Was thanked: 185 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Does any one Know How to install my new unit/model in generals <im using Gmax,lets says im modding>

and wait where do i found the texture that i need ,..in Texture.Big ?? if it is , where do i extract them??? , New folder (that i made,for BackUp) then Copy them In One of The Gmax Folders ... where in Gmax Folders??

Edited by user Friday, November 11, 2016 11:22:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A part of ZH worldbuilders map making community
https://discord.gg/tJ6zyGb

UserPostedImage

Offline klingondragon  
#15 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2016 11:26:33 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom

You can't install your unit until you've made it. It's probably better to ask on a modelling thread than on coding or file/folder/directory thread.
thanks 1 user thanked klingondragon for this useful post.
AdrianeMapMaker on 11/11/2016(UTC)