Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline incia  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 1:59:33 PM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

Hey!

I re-installed Yuri again. And started modding on it again.
I remember last time that after hours and hours of modding, new units, deleted units etc
But then when playing the AI on Skirmish, the AI seemed to play the "original" game, how is this possible?

One example:

I gave the Soviet Attack Sub to Yuri's army. Changed the name a bit and gave it one of Yuri units voices. Changed the weapon etc etc.

But then when I started the mod, I play as Yuri and the AI as Soviet. I start of by building my new submarines, and boomers. And then voila the AI Soviet still uses the original Soviet Attack Subs and kills me...?

What do I have to change so the AI obays my modification "rules"?
Sponsor
Offline CommieDog  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 3:44:16 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 130 post(s)
My memory on this is hazy, but I remember YR having an INI file named aimd.ini that controlled AI players.
UserPostedImage
CommieDog: Because someone has to do your dirty work for you
Offline incia  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 5:45:49 PM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

Yes that's correct, there is an INI file called like that.

But it doesn't really say 'which' units each 'command' creates.
It's just numbers and letters; huge wall of text.

What am I looking for here exactly?

I found some codes named "Yuri naval hunters" and "Yuri naval bombers", or something similar.
Offline randomperson  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 9:31:22 PM(UTC)
randomperson
Colonel

how do you mod RA2? all the files are in a weird file format that I can read properly.
UserPostedImage
Offline CommieDog  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 10:18:00 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Incia wrote:

I found some codes named "Yuri naval hunters" and "Yuri naval bombers", or something similar.

Looking at the INI file, it appears that there is only team (or TaskForce, as the code calls them) that uses the Typhoon. Its name is 0EC204BC-G; use the find command to locate it.

randomperson wrote:
how do you mod RA2? all the files are in a weird file format that I can read properly.

You can use a program like XCC Mixer to open and extract assets from the MIX files.
UserPostedImage
Offline randomperson  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2008 10:54:08 PM(UTC)
randomperson
Colonel

thank you very much
UserPostedImage
Offline incia  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 8:51:00 AM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

CommieDog wrote:
Incia wrote:

Looking at the INI file, it appears that there is only team (or TaskForce, as the code calls them) that uses the Typhoon. Its name is 0EC204BC-G; use the find command to locate it.

Awesome, now it finally seems to work!
I recreated first my old mod, and now the AI works too. Then I got some inspiration from RA 3.

Now the AI attacked me with Scorpion boats instead of Soviet subs, and they also trained polar bears when I attacked with spies!

Now this is what I have changed in my mod so far:

Proloque:
When Yuri defected he took with him some of the Soviet technology, units and structures.
While waiting for Yuri's strike forces, soviet engineers improved their exicting units and structures, also gaining some new units. Meanwhile the Allied spies gathered the new soviet improvements and improved their own army.

General changes:
Considering to limit high tier base defences (especially France Grand Cannon) into 3-5.

Soviet changes:
No Attack dogs.
New unit: Polar bear
Smaller sight and slower speed than Attack dog.
Can autoheal.
Weapon: Brute punch
Voice: Polar bear
Cost: 400
Can sniff and detect Allied spies.

No submarines.
Scorpion boats now detect 'stealth' instead.

Vehicles can now be repaired in War Factory.
Service Depots obsolete (deleted).

Allied changes:
Prism tanks don't 'wtfpwng' everything now.

France now perhaps constructs more effectively Grand Cannons.

Vehicles can now be repaired in War Factory.
Service Depots obsolete (deleted).

Yuri changes:
Mind controlling units no longer detect Allied spies (Yuri clone, Psychic tower etc).
Brutes can now detect Allied spies.

New unit: Yuri submarine
Little faster speed than the old Soviet Attack subs
Little longer sight than the old Soviet Attack subs
Weapon: Boomer torpedos
Voice: Boomer voice
Cost: 1200

Boomer submarine no longer acquires torpedos
Boomer submarine now requires a Battle lab
Cost: 2000

Infantries (humans) can now heal in Barracks.

Miscellaneous changes:
Yuri War Factories still can't repair units, use the Grinder instead.

---

I'm considering to add more stuff, especially into the Yuri army, I think it's lacking too much stuff.
Offline CommieDog  
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:18:01 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
United States

Unless you decided to give the Sea Scorpion an anti-ship weapon, the Soviets will have a crippled navy.
UserPostedImage
Offline incia  
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:36:52 PM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

CommieDog wrote:
Unless you decided to give the Sea Scorpion an anti-ship weapon, the Soviets will have a crippled navy.

I actually considered giving them a Tesla-boat. But haven't found any good boat models for it.
I mean giving the Scorpion a Tesla shooter would look weird, because the model have a kind-of artillery look in it.

PS: What does all these names mean, I have figured some of them out but not all of them?

[CATHOSP]
UIName=Name:
Name=
Image=
TechLevel=-1
Strength=800
Insignificant=yes
Nominal=yes
Sight=6
Points=5
Armor=concrete
Explosion=
DamageParticleSystems=
LeaveRubble=yes
InfantryGainSelfHeal=1
Adjacent=2
Factory=
Owner=Russians,Confederation,Africans,Arabs
Power=0
Crewed=yes
DestroyAnim=NACNSTD
MaxDebris=15
MinDebris=5
DebrisAnim=
ThreatPosed=0
TogglePower=no
EligibileForAllyBuilding=yes
ImmuneToPsionics=no

It will be much easier to experiment new stuff when I know what all of these mean :)
Offline CommieDog  
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 6:06:54 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
United States

I found a good-looking (to me, anyway) tesla boat voxel here.
UserPostedImage
Offline incia  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 4:46:17 AM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

CommieDog wrote:

What do I have to do to make it buildable ingame?

EDIT:

Tried to mod the AI again but this time I got a bit confused... what does all of these mean?

"[08B966AC-G]
Name=2 Gatt, 4 Clone, 2 Master
0=4,YURI
1=2,YTNK
2=2,MIND
Group=-1"

Edited by user Sunday, March 9, 2008 10:37:51 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Stewox  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:18:42 AM(UTC)
Stewox
Major

Also you can add this to the units propereties "" AIBuildThis=yes ""

I mean in rules.ini , not taskforces or groups.

Edited by user Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:19:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline CommieDog  
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 2:05:35 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
United States

Incia wrote:
CommieDog wrote:

What do I have to do to make it buildable ingame?

You'll need to edit artmd.ini in order to get the voxel working ingame. Here's an example you can copy:
Code:
[TCRU]   ; Tesla cruiser
Voxel=yes
Remapable=yes
Cameo=TTNKICON
AltCameo=TTNKUICO
PrimaryFireFLH=60,0,100
ElitePrimaryFireFLH=60,0,100

I named the block of code "TCRU" to match the name of the voxel download I gave you. Whenever you want to add nex voxels to RA2, you need to include a block of code like this that has the same name as the voxel file. To attach this voxel to a unit, you need to name the unit the same as the block of art code in artmd.ini. So clone another ship (such as the Sea Scorpion) and make sure that the top line reads "[TCRU]". Then make sure that TCRU is declared in the VehicleTypes list in rulesmd.ini and you should be good to go.

Incia wrote:
Tried to mod the AI again but this time I got a bit confused... what does all of these mean?

"[08B966AC-G]
0=4,YURI
1=2,YTNK
2=2,MIND
Group=-1"

This code defines a team consisting of 4 Yuri Clones, 2 Gattling Tanks, and 2 Masterminds. As far as I know, the Group= tag should be set to -1 for all teams.
UserPostedImage
Offline incia  
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 3:55:38 PM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

Okay I'll try that, I'll update later how it all worked out.

And what about the "tcru.hva" "tcru.vxl" files? Where do I put them?

Incia wrote:

"[08B966AC-G]
0=4,YURI
1=2,YTNK
2=2,MIND
Group=-1"

This code defines a team consisting of 4 Yuri Clones, 2 Gattling Tanks, and 2 Masterminds. As far as I know, the Group= tag should be set to -1 for all teams.

But what does the "0=4, 1=2, 2=2" really mean?
Offline CommieDog  
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 5:23:29 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
United States

Incia wrote:
And what about the "tcru.hva" "tcru.vxl" files? Where do I put them?

Try placing them in the RA2 directory.

Incia wrote:
But what does the "0=4, 1=2, 2=2" really mean?

The number to the left of the equal sign is the slot that particular type of unit takes--I believe a team can have up to eight of them. The number to the right is the number of that particular unit to have in the team.
UserPostedImage
Offline incia  
#16 Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 8:14:51 AM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

Wohoo, thanks! Now it seems to work.

First I forgot to add the unit into the "VehicleTypes", that's why I didn't update this yesterday.
Here are some screenshots of my mod!

Tesla attack!
UserPostedImage
84.6 KB

Lovely Polar bears!
UserPostedImage
125.89 KB

EDIT:

Now for the Cameos... seems like that Tesla Cruiser uses the Tesla tank cameo. How can I add new ones to the game?
PS: The Polar bear has currently no cameo either.

EDIT AGAIN:

Now I have learned how the AI works, just improved the AI alot. Now they do bigger attacks, attack with more variety naval units and picks their targets and unit mixes more carefully.
I almost lost towards a brutal Russian army. He attacked with 3 Kirovs, and directly after that with 4 Apoc tanks and 6 Rhino tanks. And he went on attacking me with those two types of attacks. And as Yuri I had almost no attacking units to win that. I defended my base with mind-controlling units and finally attacked him with Boomers. Those missiles are still overpowered. 1 missile can wipe out a War Factory... I'm going to nerf them even more -_-

And I added the numbers upp for every army, now instead of 6 Rocketeers they attack with 8, and instead of 6 Robotanks they attack with 8. And they also mix up more units with the Battle Fortress.

Anyways, I'm still clueless as to how I can add new cameos. Otherwise I'm all set.

Oh, and is it possible to add a completely new side? Or a House as the text files say.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:18:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline CommieDog  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 11, 2008 2:50:34 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
United States

Incia wrote:
Now for the Cameos... seems like that Tesla Cruiser uses the Tesla tank cameo. How can I add new ones to the game?
PS: The Polar bear has currently no cameo either.

This is where my memory runs short. Fortunately, Google is here to pick up the slack. Tongue Here is a page with basic tutorials, including how to turn an image into a cameo, and here is a tutorial for making professional-looking cameos.

Incia wrote:
Oh, and is it possible to add a completely new side? Or a House as the text files say.

It is not possible to add new Houses (countries or sides) in RA2 because of hard-coded limitations. I remember reading about some sort of "mod patch" that alters the hard code so you can add more houses, but I can't remember the name of it. [:-grumpy]
UserPostedImage
Offline randomperson  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:23:39 AM(UTC)
randomperson
Colonel

so you there is a limit on sides? could you just do a total converstion on one of the existing sides or are parts of them hard coded?
UserPostedImage
Offline incia  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:08:43 AM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

randomperson wrote:
so you there is a limit on sides? could you just do a total converstion on one of the existing sides or are parts of them hard coded?

I guess you can replace units... so for example replacing every structure and unit from the Yuri side would work. Hmm... but on Skirmish the Yuri name and image would maybe still show up.
I'm planning to re-make the soviet side into something very different.

And yeah, the cameos work now, for my Pyramid and Polar bear. Going to make a new cameo for the Tesla Cruiser as well.

EDIT:

This far everything workes just fine, the new Yuri Pyramid, Assault Bear, Shock Ship. I even renamed the Yuri Submarine I gave Yuri from the Soviet, also renamed Yuri's Shipyard into Submarine Pen and Amphibious Transport into Hover Transport.

However, I can't seem to get one thing figured out. Where do I change the fireing-spot?
Because it seems like the Shock Ship shoots the tesla bolt out of the middle of the ship, but I want the electric bolt to come from the tesla guns (which is almost at the far end of the ship).
I tried different "Fireangle=" and "Locomotors", but no good results.

Also one other thing.
Well, there are the "sub factions" in Red Alert 2 YR, is it possible to change these? Or is this also hard-coded?
I mean, instead of, for example that you only acquire the Tesla Tank from being Russia, is it possible to give the Russian side a whole own faction?
In this case, I could add up to 7 new sides?

Edited by user Thursday, March 13, 2008 8:12:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline CommieDog  
#20 Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:11:26 AM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
United States

Incia wrote:
However, I can't seem to get one thing figured out. Where do I change the fireing-spot?
Because it seems like the Shock Ship shoots the tesla bolt out of the middle of the ship, but I want the electric bolt to come from the tesla guns (which is almost at the far end of the ship).
I tried different "Fireangle=" and "Locomotors", but no good results.

The relevant line of code is PrimaryFireFLH= in the object's artmd.ini entry. It takes three numbers separated by commas corresponding the x, y, and z coordinates relative to the origin of the unit. You'll have to experiment in order to find the correct offset, though.

Incia wrote:
Well, there are the "sub factions" in Red Alert 2 YR, is it possible to change these? Or is this also hard-coded?
I mean, instead of, for example that you only acquire the Tesla Tank from being Russia, is it possible to give the Russian side a whole own faction?
In this case, I could add up to 7 new sides?

You could do that, but it would be buggy. The 10 sides would have to share 3 MCVs and basic infantry (the ones that emerge from sold or destroyed buildings).
UserPostedImage