On December 9, 2011, EA announced Command & Conquer Generals 2 is in development by Victory Studios. The game was reportedly going to use the Frostbite 2 game engine.
From Generals 2 to "Command & Conquer" Free-to-Play
In August 2012, EA and Victory Games announced their work on Generals 2 would evolve into a different title, dubbed simply "Command & Conquer." This new version would be a "free to play" style game.
Cancellation and closure of Victory Games
On October 29, 2013, EA and Victory Games announced that work on "Command & Conquer" would cease:
Thank you for your participation over the last few months in the Command & Conquer closed alpha test. It’s been much appreciated, and you’ve been instrumental in helping define what a new Command & Conquer experience should and shouldn’t be.
Part of being in a creative team is the understanding that not all of your choices are going to work out. In this case, we shifted the game away from campaign mode and built an economy-based, multiplayer experience. Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play. That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game. Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team, ultimately it’s about getting you the game you expect and deserve.
Over the next 10 days we will be refunding any and all money spent in the alpha. If you have a question about your refund, please contact help.ea.com.
We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible. To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track. We look forward to sharing more news about the franchise as it develops. Thank you again for your participation and support.
- Victory Studios
The Victory Games team was also disbanded
, leaving the future for Command & Conquer titles unclear.
Original Plans for Generals 2 - 2011
The following is information on the original plans for Generals 2, now obsolete.
Here are some additional details about the game, courtesy of EA Origin:
In the near future, world leaders are mere seconds from signing a global treaty and bringing an end to war as we know it when a devastating terrorist attack rips through the peace conference, killing all in attendance. In a world left with no politicians, diplomats, or activists, only the Generals remain. It's up to you to assume their roles, command their forces, and put an end to global terrorism once and for all.
- All-Out War — Take control of three unique factions, competing for resources, building up your base of operation, and leading massive batteries of tanks, soldiers, and aircraft into battle.
- Uncanny Sense of Realism — Frostbite 2 technology allows for visceral, visually stunning conflict at an epic scale. Incredibly detailed units and environments, dynamic physics, and exhilarating visual effects bring the battle to life in ways never before seen. This is the closest thing to real war without the consequences.
- New Ways to Dominate or Ally with Your Friends — Go beyond classic deathmatch with a selection of new multiplayer game modes, designed with both cooperative and competitive play in mind.
- Thrilling Campaign — Command the war on terror in an electrifying single-player campaign. Experience the dramatic story from multiple perspectives — from heroic General to crazed terrorist — while engaging the enemy in pulse-pounding tactical combat.
- Ever-Evolving Experience — Enhance your game with an expanding array of downloadable content. From maps and units to factions, campaigns, and more, the fight against terrorism is deeper than ever.