Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline L3thal1ty  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 9:47:44 AM(UTC)
L3thal1ty
Private

Yes, i am new to map making and there are still several things that i have yet to learn... and may more that i have to improve on. That being said, I need help with some scripting and some waypoint issues i am having with an AOD map i am trying to make. If anyone is around and available to help, i would be MOST grateful. I am hoping to find someone that can explain it to me via teamspeak or ventrillo as this allows me to hear their instructions. I process information better verbally.

I am resorting to asking for help in this manner due to the fact that i have already printed out 2 different PDF tutorials on the Worldbuilder and i still do not get it... so please do not think that i have not at lease tried to do some research before posting asking for help.

Thank you in advance

John D.
L3thal1ty
Sponsor
Offline Drummin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 11:23:53 AM(UTC)
Drummin
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffMaps Staff: Maps Staff MemberRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff Member

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
See if my little post on team production helps. Near the bottom I talk about setting up a basic AOD script set.
Offline Matthew9170  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 7:24:39 AM(UTC)
Matthew9170
Major

well what do you want to have your map do?
Wow, it has been a long time since I was last here.
Offline L3thal1ty  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 9:02:19 PM(UTC)
L3thal1ty
Private

well to be honest, i am not certain i grasp the need for waypoints, I am not sure how many i need to put in or for what purpose, I am COMPLETELY confused about scripts and how to build them propperly... yeah.. i am confused.

for example... lets say that i wanted to make a AOD style map like what some of you all may remember as the Lurker defense or turret defense maps that are so popular on Starcraft... but on generals. I would have no idea h ow to begin to write scripts for the waves, how to upgrade units power (if possible), how to spawn in new units when purchased... things like that.

I know that a map of that level is not something that a new mapper should be trying to make, but the questions are still valid all the same.

Offline Drummin  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 10:56:55 PM(UTC)
Drummin
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffMaps Staff: Maps Staff MemberRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff Member

I don't have WB up and am not going to go into details per say, but make a very basic test map and add two start positions but placing a waypoint and from the dropdown, select Player1Start and then Player2Start for the second one. Then at the top of the map in the middle add another start position labeling it Player3Start. Then near the third start positions but being far enough away to allow for a command center place another waypoint, then click it again and hold the left mouse button down and drag out a pathway going down between the first two start locations. You should see a black to red line running between these two waypoints. Switch to your normal selection tool and click on the first point on this path. In the window that comes up you'll see a waypoint name, something like "Waypoint 04" or something. Highlight this name and type in "SpawnPoint". You've now renamed this waypoint to SpawnPoint. While you still have this point selected, you'll notice below on the popup window three text boxes called "Waypoint Path Labels". In the first textbox type in "Path1". You've now labeled your pathway.
Under Edit/Edit Players click the add skirmish players button. Save the map using SaveAs and give it a name like AOD_Test. At this point you have a three player multiplayer or very basic skirmish map. Let's make it a AOD map.

Decide what faction you want the AOD to be, but really it doesn't matter only that we will use the same faction for the teams we create and the scripts we write. I'll use GLA.
Go to Edit/Edit Scripts, select GLA and then the button New Script. Name this script "FollowPath1". You'll see some check boxes under script properties. You'll need to change these Boxes making this an active Subroutine script that doesn't deactive [S A nd]. Select the Action IF True tab at the top and you'll see NULL OPERATION... Click on this then click Edit. This will bring up another window with a "tree style" menu where you open different sections by clicking the "Plus sign". Scroll down till you see "Team" and click the plus sign to open the options under this section. You should see another Plus sign by the word "Move". Open this and find the line to follow a pathway exactly. Another window comes up where you fill in the variables for the script shown by'???'. For the Team select '<This Team>' and for the Pathway you should find your pathway you made called 'Path1'. Click OK on all the windows until you're out of the script writing area and save your map.

Go to Edit/Edit Teams and from the left side, click GLA. At the bottom of the screen there's a button that says Add a New Team, click this and another window comes up. AT the top is a box to name the team. Call it "Wave1". Below you'll see Min and Max. Put say "2" in both of these boxes. In the box to the right of this, select any unit you wish for this first team. You'll see a tab at the top called Behavior, click this. At the top is an "On Create" behavior box where you can select a Subroutine script. Select the script you made called 'FollowPath1'. Click OK on all the windows until you're out of the team editing section and save your map.

Go back to the script writing area and make a the two scripts as I showed you in the link in the post above for AOD style spawning. So you'll make a standard script for the timers and then another script for each team you create. For the first spawn script condition, select the first timer name you created. For the team to spawn... you got it, select the team you created called Wave1 and the location would be SpawnPoint, the waypoint you renamed.

You should then be able to play the map putting yourself in one of the first two start positions and a GLA player in the top or third start location. If all's good, when that first timer has expired, Wave1 will be spawned at your "SpawnPoint" waypoint and the "On Create" subroutine script should sent this team down the path you created.

Sure there's more details to get into but this should help you get started. This was off the top of my head so if I missed anything hopefuly you can figure it out.

Edited by user Saturday, July 10, 2010 12:35:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Drummin  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 12, 2010 1:27:18 PM(UTC)
Drummin
General

Was this a waste of time?