Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Overheal  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:31:06 PM(UTC)
Overheal
Private

I have the First Decade DVD and have installed Generals and Zero Hour.

Generals has been patched to 1.08 and is fully functional, even online.

Zero hour is unable to patch: the manual patch downloaded from EA (and several other mirrors I've tried) stops at the 'game.dat' on the progress bar and says Old File Not Found, and the patch is aborted. This happens for all iterations of the ZH patch: 1.01, 1.02, 1.03 and 1.04.

Zero Hour is also unable to connect to Zero Hour Online. It has the exact same privileges as Regular Generals (which is able to connect and play online).

Computer Specs:

Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Centrino Duo 2.0ghz 4mb x86
2GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS
Vista Firewall disabled
Norton Antivirus - Generals Programs with allowed access.

All game operations were completed under Administrative privileges.

HELP![:-grumpy]

Edited by user Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:32:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Offline MicScoTho  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:40:23 PM(UTC)
MicScoTho
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Did you run the install as an administrator? I might try uninstalling and reinstalling.

I'd also check to see if C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour\game.dat is present.
MicScoTho - Founder
Offline Overheal  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:46:34 PM(UTC)
Overheal
Private

negative on a zero hour\game.dat but the install was definitely in administrative mode

......so what now?

Edited by user Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:50:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Stewox  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2007 12:23:18 AM(UTC)
Stewox
Major

I don't like to talk about this , but as I see , you maybe used no-cd fix , then don't expect support here.

EDIT: if there is first decade , then the game should be allready patched to 1.04

Edited by user Friday, December 21, 2007 12:25:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline fleetatks  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2007 10:31:23 AM(UTC)
fleetatks
Colonel

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If your copy is legit, reinstall. This should bring back the game.dat file.
Email me if you ever need help (edited signature November 6th, 2014)
Offline Overheal  
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2007 5:21:06 AM(UTC)
Overheal
Private

I re-installed it several times.

Its a legit DVD I just bought outta walmart - so its already patched to 1.04? Strange, cos in Options it reads version 1.0 and the 1.08 upgrade for generals ran fine.

But anyway the point is moot, I went for a new workaround in the time since my last reply and I fetched a no-cd torrent and just pulled the Game.dat file that was present in it (skipped the iso download :) )

pasting that into my Zero Hour folder caused it to worked perfectly, online and off. Patching it properly to 1.04 though after this causes it to screw up again.

but anyway thats what i did. I dont know why the game.dat never installed into my directory from the disk, and according to my brothers install on an xp machine (and MY install on a virtually emulated XP machine) neither had the game.dat either. His works online great though.

Solution found anyway: Missing game.dat/ Old file not found: download a no-cd torrent and pull JUST the game.dat file from it, and paste that into your Zero Hour directory.
Offline renaissance  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2007 10:13:12 AM(UTC)
renaissance
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
Canada

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Curious. If you explore the install disc is there a game.dat? If so does game.dat appear corrupt?
Try manually copying that to your install folder and see how that works.
UserPostedImage