Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Xgen  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:08:23 PM(UTC)
Xgen
Private

Hey everyone, I've just got a few questions about the Zero Hour Worldbuilder I'd like to ask:
1. Is it possible to use waypoint paths for vehicles other then trains, or if not is there any way to make vehicles (like civilian cars, or military boats) to move? I'd love a 'really explosive' truck to drive on a path around my city Big Smile
2. When scripting, if you want to set something for a player, you get choices like <Local Player>, <This Player>, or PlyrAmerica, but I want to set an action for the player starting at a certain waypoint. Can you do this?
3. Finally, is it possible to get military vehicles without infantry in them so the player can use them without needing neutron shells or Jarmen Kell?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here Cool
Sponsor
Offline krit  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:51:41 AM(UTC)
krit
Commander in Chief

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
1. Possible, I've done it with boats and aircrafts and have witnessed other people doing the same with cars and other vehicles.

First of all, set up the waypoints so they go in a loop and label them with a name (For example: carpath01). Place down the vehicles that you want to have following the path and give it a name through the Objects Properties box (For example: car01). Go into the scripts and create a new script under the PlyrCivilian folder, give it a name, and make sure the following flags are ticked; "Script is Active" and the "Active in" set to every difficulty.

A quick note here; I have witness that sometimes the units will stop following the waypoints and come to a complete stop. Under such cases if it happens, uncheck the "Deactivate upon success" flag and have the script evaluated every once a while. Don't have it evaluated every frame back that would cause quite an amount of ingame lag.

Under the "Script Conditions" tab, make sure that a "Scripting > True" condition is present. Under the "Actions if true" tab, create a new script going from "Unit > Move > Set a specific unit to follow a waypoint path". Change the unit and waypoint to the correct ones and create more "Action if true" scripts if you have more units to have follow different paths.

2. Not sure, I remember someone done it so you'll have to wait for an answer to this one.

3. There's a "Unit > Status > Make unmanned" script in the "Actions if true" and "Actions if false" tabs, try that, I'm not sure if it works or not though since I have never tried this one.
UserPostedImage
Offline Me Myself and Pi  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 6:16:20 AM(UTC)
Me Myself and Pi
Colonel

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Quote:
1. Is it possible to use waypoint paths for vehicles other then trains, or if not is there any way to make vehicles (like civilian cars, or military boats) to move? I'd love a 'really explosive' truck to drive on a path around my city

Follow Krit's advise for this, but I'd reccamend you use the "Unit\Move\Set unit to EXACTLY follow a waypoint path." action instead. This way, the vehicle will go through obsticles such as, buildings, moutains, or water . If a player builds something on its path, it will go right through the building instead of going around it.

Quote:
A quick note here; I have witness that sometimes the units will stop following the waypoints and come to a complete stop. Under such cases if it happens, uncheck the "Deactivate upon success" flag and have the script evaluated every once a while. Don't have it evaluated every frame back that would cause quite an amount of ingame lag.

You can leave all the stuff in the script properties window alone (exept of the name of the script, & mabey the discription) for a simple script like this. If a vehicle stops on it's waypoint, then there's a brake in the waypoint path. If you see this happen, then double check your waypoint path & look for the break in it. If you aren't able to find it, just upload the map so we can look at it.

Quote:
2. When scripting, if you want to set something for a player, you get choices like <Local Player>, <This Player>, or PlyrAmerica, but I want to set an action for the player starting at a certain waypoint. Can you do this?

I'm not sure what your asking here. Do you want a script to actavate if a player starts out at a certain start position?

Quote:
3. Finally, is it possible to get military vehicles without infantry in them so the player can use them without needing neutron shells or Jarmen Kell?

Krit is right, you use the action "Unit\Status\Make unmanned." It also works for buildings & infantry. It really looks funny seeing one of your infantry garrisoning another infantry guy!
Offline krit  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 6:35:17 AM(UTC)
krit
Commander in Chief

Me Myself And Pi wrote:

Quote:
1. Is it possible to use waypoint paths for vehicles other then trains, or if not is there any way to make vehicles (like civilian cars, or military boats) to move? I'd love a 'really explosive' truck to drive on a path around my city

Follow Krit's advise for this, but I'd reccamend you use the "Unit\Move\Set unit to EXACTLY follow a waypoint path." action instead. This way, the vehicle will go through obsticles such as, buildings, moutains, or water . If a player builds something on its path, it will go right through the building instead of going around it.

Which is pretty much why I gave him the normal one, lol, I don't want trucks dissappearing into buildings and appearing out the other side.

Me Myself And Pi wrote:
Quote:

You can leave all the stuff in the script properties window alone (exept of the name of the script, & mabey the discription) for a simple script like this. If a vehicle stops on it's waypoint, then there's a brake in the waypoint path. If you see this happen, then double check your waypoint path & look for the break in it. If you aren't able to find it, just upload the map so we can look at it.

The vehicles stops at random points on the path and usually makes a few full cycles before actually stopping again at a different point, showing that there's no break in the waypoints and is caused by something else.
UserPostedImage
Offline Me Myself and Pi  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:46:32 AM(UTC)
Me Myself and Pi
Colonel

Well, I guess I can think of some other reasons why they'd stop. If a player builds a build right over the vehicle, it will move out of the way & stop it's path. Also, there might be another script telling it to stop. If you have the map that this is happening on, could you upload it so I can look at it?
Offline krit  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 2:44:14 PM(UTC)
krit
Commander in Chief

Negative, all vehicles are either aircrafts or boats so they're not effected by constructions, not to mention they still stop either though they're miles away from any construction. There's no other scripts implemented onto the map so it couldn't be an interfering script either.
UserPostedImage
Offline Xgen  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:57:02 PM(UTC)
Xgen
Private

Thanks guys, you've been a great help! I haven't yet tried this but I'll upload the map if I have trouble with the vehicles. Regarding question 2: I want the player at a specific starting point to be unable to build structures after a certain civilian building is destroyed, so in the Script conditions I entered Unit 'researchlab01' (name of the building) has been destroyed, and for Actions if true I chose [???] Player '???' is unable to build buildings. What I want to know is how to change the name of player '???' to the person starting at the waypoint. Thanks again
Offline Me Myself and Pi  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2007 5:11:22 AM(UTC)
Me Myself and Pi
Colonel

If you want to refer to the host of the game, use <This Player's Enemy> & put the script using in the PlyrCivilian folder. When you use <This Player> it refers the the player that you put the script in. So if you put it into the PlyrCivilian player's folder, then <This Player> is considered PlyrCivilain. So PlyrCivilians enemy in this case is the host. Which is weird because it considers all players neutral. It just works. There aren't any other players that refer to other humen players. So to refer to the host, use <This Player's Enemy> & put it in the PlyrCivilian folder.

The condition you want to use is "Skirmish\Start position." Put <This Player's Enemy> for the player, & the number start position you want to activate the script with. So if you put 3, then if the host starts in the 3rd start position (Player_3_Start) then the script will activate. Remember, this only works with the host of the game.

The action "Player\Build\Set a player to unable to build building." won't prevent a human player from building buildings. It's only meant for the AI. You'll have to use the action "Map\Modify\Adjust the tech for a specific object type." Select the building you want to remove & unit/structure type you want to remove it from.
Offline Xgen  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:32:57 PM(UTC)
Xgen
Private

Thanks, that helps me out a lot Big Smile

Edited by user Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:33:43 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified