Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Firion Corodix  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 1, 2004 12:30:12 PM(UTC)
Firion Corodix
General

General Gideonx wrote:

The infetry will be a hair larger but I entend to keep them pretty small. This games ention is to be better so the poly counts will be alittle higher then generals (sorry to all low end users) but for about a year I have been able to test the Sage engine and for grins I made units with 60,000 poly a piece and built over 50 of them, the total poly count on the map at one time was over 1.8million and I lost 2.3 frams a sec (very small) and it was not due to the poly count but the number of units. The Sage engine is faster then people think there are things that can slow it down in a hurry, poly count is not one of them unless you are talking about 100,000 poly count, the AI for each unit and processes for each unit/building are more of a drag on your system then the poly number. The thing that can slow it down the most is volumentic partical effects, those are such things as Naplam fire, dust clouds etc. To run Crimson Dawn smooth you should have at lest a 1.2ghz p4/amd 256mb of ram, and 64mb of video mem below that you can still play it but you would have to cut the partical effects down turn the graphics down etc.

Even thought I could have more polys I'm still keeping them faily small the unit caps are as follows:

mass produced units(aka troops-conventional tanks) poly range 80-1.5kpoly

Spiecal Units(aka one can be built) poly range from 2k-8kpoly

normal buildings range 500-3kpoly

Speical Buildings range 3k-10kpoly

Fighter craft 1k-2k poly

Space Crusiers(only one can be built) 3k-8k poly

Believe it or not the game runs fine with Zero frams lost at these poly levels, if you think they are too high test the engine more or you don't have to play with this mod/game. I have tested these poly amounts and higher on a 1.ghz with 32mb of video ram and 256mb of ram and it ran just like generals did same speed.

gideonx posted this on another forum not on this forum but as you can see what we thought about poly counts seems to be untrue, 1,5k polycounts for units that are massed produced is just fine so why are we even bothering with the stupid polycounts so much?
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline MicScoTho  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 1, 2004 4:48:59 PM(UTC)
MicScoTho
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hm... any way to confirm this??

I'm somewhat skeptical, but then again I've never tested any of thus so =)

But as for this:
Quote:
mass produced units(aka troops-conventional tanks) poly range 80-1.5kpoly
I presume everyone understands that infantry are NOT to be 1,500 polys? Yes? Good then. Wink

CommieDog what do you think?
MicScoTho - Founder
Offline aConcernedCitizen17  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 1, 2004 6:37:15 PM(UTC)
aConcernedCitizen17
General
All Stars Staff: All Stars Staff

Man this could be big. :) Confirmation from commie or something would definitely be greatly appreciated.
UserPostedImage
Much that once was...is now lost
Offline CommieDog  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 1, 2004 9:22:10 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 130 post(s)
GeneralGideonX seems to be more concerned with the SAGE engine's liits than processor limits. As such, I am very skeptical of his claims. The SAGE engine was built to last; it can handle more polygons than laptops and desktop computers can realistically handle right now. Anyway, I suspect that the physical polygon isn't that takes the processing power; it's the skins that you apply to them. But I'm no expert. Better get Krit in here to explain this to us.
UserPostedImage
CommieDog: Because someone has to do your dirty work for you
Offline krit  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 1, 2004 9:32:07 PM(UTC)
krit
Commander in Chief

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I know nothing about these things... But, if that is true, then why doesn't EA make a 1000 poly Crusader tank insntead of a 200 poly one?
UserPostedImage
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 1, 2004 10:01:25 PM(UTC)
aConcernedCitizen17
General

No idea. However Commie I think we'll be wanting to conduct our own experiments with this.
UserPostedImage
Offline Firion Corodix  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 1, 2004 10:05:18 PM(UTC)
Firion Corodix
General

we could quickly make a 60k poly unit that looks like ****, has no weapons or way to many well just make something and then somebody could try it out and make tons of them.
and if what gideonx said is true then we could make our units alot more detailed.
UserPostedImage
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 1, 2004 11:02:08 PM(UTC)
aConcernedCitizen17
General

We'll see. We'll have to try something along those lines but I think we might not change our poly limits too much even if we find tha this is true.
UserPostedImage
Offline Firion Corodix  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 1, 2004 11:12:02 PM(UTC)
Firion Corodix
General

well we could make some units look way better if they can be higher poly count.
UserPostedImage
#10 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2004 8:09:54 AM(UTC)
aConcernedCitizen17
General

Still. I've talked this over with Commie already and he said he'll run some tests but even if it is true, we probably won't raise our poly limits much if not at all. We've already got pretty high poly counts as it is.
UserPostedImage
Offline Blbpaws  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2004 11:03:53 AM(UTC)
Blbpaws
Administrator

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 32 post(s)
Yes, I agree. Our counts are hugh, if not too high. Keep them how it is unless Commie reports something drastic.
UserPostedImage
Offline Firion Corodix  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2004 11:31:50 AM(UTC)
Firion Corodix
General

most things cut be left as they are, some things could maybe use some detail here and there that could be added, but those are minor things which should be done in the end anyway.
UserPostedImage
Offline Blbpaws  
#13 Posted : Friday, July 2, 2004 12:59:14 PM(UTC)
Blbpaws
Administrator

I agree. This will not have a major effect on our strategy.
UserPostedImage
Offline Luckie  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2004 5:55:17 AM(UTC)
Luckie
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff

To test this, someone should come up with a 1000 polygon unit and benchmark Generals while building them.
Offline Firion Corodix  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2004 6:00:09 AM(UTC)
Firion Corodix
General

1k polygon unit is too low, 10k or 60k would do better, but i got no idea how i can get it into zh after making it, i think this test is something for somebody who knows how to do it, commiedog or ACC
UserPostedImage
Offline Blbpaws  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2004 7:12:06 AM(UTC)
Blbpaws
Administrator

Hate to rain on everyone's parade here, but I think we're going to stick with our original assessments. If GeneralGideonX wants to reinvent the wheel, let him do so.
UserPostedImage
Offline Firion Corodix  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2004 7:44:22 AM(UTC)
Firion Corodix
General

but if we test this then we know we can keep any high poly count units we get instead of redoing them if we cant lower the polycount.
UserPostedImage
Offline Blbpaws  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2004 8:10:07 AM(UTC)
Blbpaws
Administrator

If this were true, EA would have done bigger models like Krit said.
UserPostedImage
Offline Luckie  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2004 11:45:34 AM(UTC)
Luckie
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff

Think about what u just said. EA? They need help tieing their shoes, nevermind making a game.

I was thinking about this today. I think it all depends on hardware. Specifically the gfx card.
Offline Firion Corodix  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, July 6, 2004 11:47:30 AM(UTC)
Firion Corodix
General

blb, ea´s models are so low poly count so that they could make the game work on p3 with 800mhz pc´s. the lower the system requirements the better aint it?
UserPostedImage