Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline 2142GenReaper  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2008 4:42:19 PM(UTC)
2142GenReaper
Major

Every CnC site I sign up for there to be some EA haters.They are gripping that EA messed Battlefield and Command&Conquer.Of course,these people are probadly a minority group.These people need to realize that EA is going to continue making games their way and ain't going to change their way just because of few people who go around saying "EA suks".the most critized EA game is probadly Command&Conquer.This is becuase those Westwood Fanatics just can't accept that Westwood is never coming back.EA is one of the most biggest Gaming Companies currently.I personaly like the new CnC Games(Although the CNC:TFD crashes kinda of piss me off).EA is trying to attract more players and won't pay attention to these Westwood terro.....fanatics.In battlfield everybody keeps on critizing EA on the New Commander system.I personally like the new commander postion.(Although ppl usually flame for saying this ingame".These EA hating rednecks need to cry a river,build a bridge and GET OVER IT!

But what is the overall reason that everybody seems to hate EA.
Attack is the best Defense.
Sponsor
Offline 2142GenReaper  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2008 4:48:14 PM(UTC)
2142GenReaper
Major

And read this, if you think i'm lying!

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/EA
Attack is the best Defense.
Offline krit  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2008 5:12:30 PM(UTC)
krit
Commander in Chief

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Of all the stupid things one can do, why start a controversial topic that could likely result in a flame war and the banning of more then one forum member?
UserPostedImage
Offline fleetatks  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2008 5:37:32 PM(UTC)
fleetatks
Colonel

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
EA is a monopoly based gaming company. They buy countless small-gaming companys and send a team to replace the people they fire. And usually after they take over the companys, they produce worse quality games than the original companys had created. They will pay attention to their newly created game for all of maybe one year and then leave it alone, reguardless of the fanbase and the request for patches for their glitchy games. This resulted in most people hating EA and their many franchises.
Email me if you ever need help (edited signature November 6th, 2014)
Sky Demon  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2008 8:33:35 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Fleetatks. You NAILED IT!
Right on the big fat bullseye.

I hate EA ALOT!. And that's the kindest way I can put it.
The only things I will let them of with is one or 2 badass PS2 games I have played of theres. And C&C Generals/Zero-Hour.
RA2 is a wasteland now. The online system still has 1 or 2 massive bugs that should have been fixed years ago because they aint bothered about little things like that.
They chase for profits. As long as the cash rolls in...Who cares right?
Offline renaissance  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2008 12:19:55 PM(UTC)
renaissance
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
Canada

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Indeed. Although I can't say "I hate EA" I do disagree with their approach to the industry. There was an article posted in the news section a while back about the poor treatment of their employees; overworked, underpaid, unrealistic expectations, and worst of all wasting young talent in dead-end dime-a-dozen games. Granted they claim to be moving away from their old ways, but it's more a matter of "time will tell..."
UserPostedImage
Offline MicScoTho  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 7, 2008 4:52:57 PM(UTC)
MicScoTho
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Heh, this reminds me of the observations about game release time-frames in Blbpaws' latest article:
Quote:
From the article:
Simply put, more time needs to put into developing and testing the game. C&C 3 lacked a proper beta version and Kane’s Wrath, though there has been no official word, seems to be following in this tradition. In short, the development cycle is being consistently rushed.

A bit of digging seems to reveal that the reason for this is purely financial: EA has timed the releases of both C&C 3 and Kane’s Wrath to occur just before the end of their fiscal year (both games released in the last week of March, and EA’s fiscal year ends March 31st), providing a last boost of revenue. For C&C 3, the company proceeded to use the release as a highlight of their earnings discussions with investors[pdf]. In short, pushing the game back even a month would have financial implications for the company (or so their analysts seem to believe—I contend otherwise), as the game is already pushed to the very edge of the quarter. This strategy is acceptable from a developer’s standpoint if the financial benefits outweigh the costs of rushing the game. For the last two games, it’s failed, as the products have been obviously rushed and shipped with a number of issues. This ties in to the critical reception of the game.

And, I just ran into this via PlanetCNC -- Mass Effect and Spore DRM detailed:
Quote:
From bit-tech.net:
"After the first activation, SecuROM requires that [Mass Effect PC] re-check with the server within ten days (in case the CD Key has become public/warez'd and gets banned)," said French in a BioWare forum post.

If the game cannot authenticate itself over the internet within a period of ten days then the game will stop working.

"After 10 days a re-check is required before the game can run...An internet connection is not required to install, just to activate the first time, and every 10 days after," said French.

French said that the method would be clearly described on the packaging for the game, but also that the same method would be used to authenticate Wil Wright's upcoming sim-game, Spore.
That ought to piss quite a few people off.

I think "EA Haters" in the C&C community are actually on the decline, however. At least, they were...
MicScoTho - Founder
Offline icewind  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 8, 2008 1:25:22 AM(UTC)
icewind
Major

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
An what must people do that doesn't have internet (on their main PC).
It's the same reason I can't play Halflife 2 Even if would buy it.
You can't blame me for my defeat, it's all the fault of my soldiers.

Making the web a weirder place, one forum at a time.
Derideal web comic. Try it, it's good.
Sky Demon  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 9, 2008 10:23:38 AM(UTC)

I agree. EA seems to care much more about the profit and to an extent, how the gaming community reacts to the game.
If it sticks and a majority of gamers enjoy it, sales are up sufficiently and things seem in the clear. EA seems to use a kind of "That's one done, what's next?" attitude.
I believe bugs and glitches tend to stick for so long until enough people kick up a fuss to get it fixed because of this.

This is probably the main reason why people hate EA so much. They develop a game, rush it for release, promote it alot, release it, publish it a bit more then leave it. Maybe releasing a patch or two for version updates to play online (If any are required). Then leave it alone...
Onto the next project right?
Offline randomperson  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 10, 2008 3:25:53 AM(UTC)
randomperson
Colonel

well remember that ea is a business and the whole point is to make money for it's shareholders. This means that EA want to make as many projects as cheaply as possible as this will allow maximum profit. Of course they don't care much about customers after the first few months as they are not getting any more money out of us. Yes it sucks and they could do better but this is the way that they work
UserPostedImage
Offline guyen0000a  
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:56:33 PM(UTC)
guyen0000a
Captain

I am one of the haters and I believe lot of ppl hate it rather than minority. I hate because their game sux - crashes, freezes, online server goes down, the matching utility is shiit at most. How many time have you encountered champion or noob on online play when matching utility says 'looking for closest match to your ability'? Most of the ppl I encountered play online thru matchmaker are angry, disappointed and short tempered.
I recently switched to other games like HL2, Starcraft and once I am engaged in those games, never played any EA games since.
Offline Luckie  
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2008 7:46:05 PM(UTC)
Luckie
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff

There are two competing models for large scale game publishing companies. One is EA and the other is Vivendi Games (Activision Blizzard / Activition Vivendi / Whatever you want to call it). EA takes a very involved managerial role in the development process where Vivendi tends to be more "hands off". Both companies have acquired several companies. EA tends to buy developers for the licenses and Vivendi buys developers for the studios themselves. This is why we're not talking about how Westwood is messing up C&C but instead talking about how Blizzard is developing Starcraft 2. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. EA's model is primarily one that pushes that bottom line - no matter who it angers or alienates (sometimes both their own programmers and hardcore fans). Under EA's management Starcraft Ghost would have never been canceled because the team working on it would have been moved onto one of EA's campuses shortly after being acquired and management would have made sure no code went to waste and that the project hit it's deadlines regardless of quality. As a programmer and game developer myself, I highly prefer the Vivendi approach because it keeps the atmosphere that has contributed to each company's success in place. EA's approach usually drives away talented programmers (like when the Westwood team formed Petroglyph). EA's management strategy is quite short sighted. While it works at milking a fan base, it does little to grow it or build confidence in their brand. Their monopolistic tendencies (like with the NFL licensed Madden series when they bought the exclusive rights to the NFL's likeness) not only squeezes out competition but leaves no reason for further innovation. If Valve had been purchased by EA instead of Vivendi, there would probably be no Steam. Honestly, I'm not sure what I would do without Steam. It's the way I get 80-90% of my new PC games. Oh, and I'm pretty sure we would have had at least twice as many editions of the Half Life series (and certainly not the quality games that they release today).

I'm not saying that EA doesn't make any good games and that all their games are half-assed due to poor working conditions for programmers and quality neglecting management but I am saying that EA Games that don't suffer from these issues are diamonds in the rough. I fear that a game like Spore will be as rushed as the next C&C (blue dirt and all).

Oh, and anyone who wants to film a "Leave EA Alone" video is more than welcome. (
is the original )
Sky Demon  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2008 1:11:21 PM(UTC)

I am not usually a type of user who just posts links to something I found on the net but I really think that this video I found shows alot about EA that we hate.

As well as this video being quite funny because of the way it was made.
I think it shows the story of the fall of the great Westwood & the C&C experience because of EA and why so many of us hate EA quite well.

Although,
It does tend to derail of the point a bit towards the end.
However, I don't get the guys idea behind the attack at the Generals/Zero-Hour storyline.

I do agree about the bits where:

USA leaves after blowing up Iraq
Shows a lone chinese Minigunner firing like 45 bullets and killing a jet = Vet points
Scud Bug n00bering :(

Anyways, here's the link.

Offline U-W-SAtomicarmy  
#14 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2008 1:18:07 PM(UTC)
U-W-SAtomicarmy
Captain

I think EA messed up the Command and Conquer games, if you look at it the mods for Zero Hour and Tiberian Wars, are better than the game. EA put no action just a little puff here and there and bad skinning on units. I'm surprised that EA didn't hire the people who make mods.
Don't look at the light!!!
Sky Demon  
#15 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2008 1:24:42 PM(UTC)

That is true.

There are some really talented people out there. If I was one of them, a coder/programmer/skinner or whatever, someone with real talent and was good at what I did.

And EA came up to me, "Wow your good, wanna join Electronic Arts?". I'd be just like, "After what I have seen what you do to other reall companies who know what makes a truely good game and what you do to your staff who don't deliver on time. NO F***ING WAY!".

Seriously though, I would just chuck it back in there face!
Offline Stewox  
#16 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2008 2:31:05 PM(UTC)
Stewox
Major

i can say that encyclopedia dramatica is actually correct.

it's the second time now in EA forums , i and many people folowing me started to get out of the ... and talk about EA destroying C&C , they deleted the topic and it was a sticky one lol.

Now recently another topic right for this was posted , the guy was so right it really looked like he copied my mind ... EA has ****loads of money , they don't care about C&C much ... for them its only a straight job and not something to be fun and interesting ...

Renegade 2 canceled
2004 RA3 canceled (mark skaggs left ... yea that beacuse ea)

Do you people even mind that EA Pacific was really under Westwood control (generals), then it was EALA for the ZH ... lead generals designer bowder went to blizzard .... but other team stayed to finish up the ZH. the real EA game is C&C3

what basicially makes it wierd is the stupid .relo .bin .imf .xml .manifest **** with no inis and the great system that Gen zh had
That's right sky demon , WE WANT GEN INI SYSTEM BACK , i said many times on officals too.

Who cares about stupid SDK i don't need that , i need ini system i can mod whatever , parameters became so much of them and GENERALLY ZH HAD LEFT IN EXTRA AN EXTRA OF CODE AND MATERIAL , this is quality , T H I S. i love generals ZH.

Look the GenZH modding forum on any fan site
Now look the modding forum on C&C3

day to night

EIDT; another one , these you see every day IN actual KW forum

/////////////////////////////////
We all LOVE cnc, that's why we are on these forums...
so will buy the titles that include that brand name, so before i continue, don't say we are letting EA continue their strategy solely because we support it, EA just buys out our favourite game producers and make sequels using the same name...

I'm neither a fanboy of blizzard, nor a hater of EA... but this is where pc games are heading....

Look at the patterns:

Fifa.. 98/99/2000 etc and so on, EA makes tiny adjustments and sells a completely new game each year with a new soundtrack and makes massive profits from little work...

Battlefield 2 series: all the addons (the difference here is the addon players can play against the original game buyers and compete WITH the new features forcing everyone to buy the addon to remain equal in the game)...
This is like them bringing out an addon for RA3 with new superweapons and letting the buyers unleash them on people who could only afford the RA3 title.

The Sims/The Sims2... (THE BEST SELLING PC GAME) More addons than i can name.... Everyone forks out 10/15 quid for a few pieces of furniture while EA makes massive profits for little work.

Need for Speed series... Say no more...

All other EA sports titles...

I could go on and on...

I would be willing to put my house on the line to say.. EA are already cutting things from RA3/planning an expansion pack for us to pay extra for features which could have made it into the title.

EA.. is a soleley in this for the profit it seems, and not making customers happy.
It will continue to buyout game studios and exploit them until they are making more profit by upsetting customers, if the title is used in a series and we loved the original we are tempted to buy the sequel.

We will have no choice to go elsewhere for quality games as EA will have bought everyone out. They will have a monopoly on pc games soon enough, watch this space.

Originality is the casualty of this as the best selling games are just re-used and modified sequels..

Customer service will become nothing but WEB- BASED (probably located in india/ china for more money saving) copy and paste answers... Rather than the phone service we could expect from a HUGE corporation.

It doesn't look good, Unless companies can avoid selling out to EA, the vast majority of games will have the EA logo and poor customer service. Every game we play will be a sequel.. (c&c 2011 etc etc)....

Before people comment: DONT BUY EA GAMES, U SUPPORT THIS STRATEGY

I have no choice, they buyout my favourite game titles and exploit them.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Edited by user Saturday, June 14, 2008 3:21:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline randomperson  
#17 Posted : Sunday, June 15, 2008 7:52:57 AM(UTC)
randomperson
Colonel

Stewox wrote:

EA.. is a solely in this for the profit it seems

Well I hate to point this out but ea is a business and the primary function of a business is to provide profit for the shareholders.

The way EA does things makes me sad more than anything but I don't believe that fans can do anything unless there was a mass boycott of the next game which is not realistic. I do belive that EA are waking up to this though with newer acquisitions. I also think that there is now a lot of pressure on the inside of EA to start making better games that the customers will actually value.
UserPostedImage
Offline Stewox  
#18 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2008 12:45:51 AM(UTC)
Stewox
Major

that is wrong , shareholder , why isn't there a single owner , founder ... where he can say what games and how games will be developed , now its a mass chaos there , one likes this , one needs this , then the other is prepared to sell everthing.

The shareholders are all about money they do not care if company produces "great" games or stinky shoes.
UserPostedImage
Offline krit  
#19 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2008 1:33:05 AM(UTC)
krit
Commander in Chief

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Which shareholder doesn't care about the profit? Hello~, it's a public limited company, not a charity or public service... There's a balance between profit making and satisfying the market, EA just took more of the profit route than satisfying the market that's all.
UserPostedImage
Sky Demon  
#20 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2008 9:14:19 AM(UTC)

Krit, it can be seen at that angle.
In fact, it's the root of EA's problems.

I can only sit back and watch them as they dig the hole deeper and deeper to there own annihilation.
People will notice, and they will care. What goes around, comes around is what I can say here.

They can keep up this evil chain buying spree. The faster they burn great companies away, the harder they push there employees to perform and the more they agrivate gamers around the globe the faster there demise!
It certainly will be quite entertaining.

The great American "We own it all, we are supreme and no one messes with us" approach just aint gonna last.