Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline hl_world  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 3:07:20 AM(UTC)
hl_world
Private

In some of the maps extracted from maps.big (the campaign missions), the buildings the AI controls strobe red to green and back. What's all this about, how do I select them and how do I do this on my own single player maps?

Thanks
Sponsor
Offline Me Myself and Pi  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 10:46:31 AM(UTC)
Me Myself and Pi
Colonel

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Those buildings are where the AI builds it's buildings, or rebuilds them. To select them & choose the rebuild options, click on the build list tool, (right between the Fence & Waypoint tools.) Then click the OK button on the window that comes up. (Note, every time you move across the map, that window will come up again.)

The official world builder manual should explain this & more. Wink http://www.cncgeneralswo...s/zerohour/worldbuilder/
Offline Yoshi714  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 10:57:52 AM(UTC)
Yoshi714
Major

Pi, I've tried to experiment with the build list before, and in game I would see that the buildings were built, and that the dozer's I placed would rebuild them if I destroyed them... but how do you then get them to attack as well? In other words, how do I get the scripts to apply to them??
Turtling is not a strategy, its a weakness
Offline hl_world  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 11:15:59 AM(UTC)
hl_world
Private

WOW! thanks. I remember doing something with this back in '03 or '04 but forgot about it.
Offline Drummin  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 12:28:50 PM(UTC)
Drummin
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffMaps Staff: Maps Staff MemberRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff Member

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I hadn't seen the Build List before. Does this control were the AI builds and the order in which they're built? In the map I'm currently working on it would be nice to place the building locations as AI seems to always lay things out the same no matter which start location they're at.

If I were adding this to a skimish map, would I place say a supply center for each faction in the same location, then only current AI player would build there?

I looked at the guide and it didn't explain exactly how this could be used.
This could get interesting...

Edited by user Friday, April 18, 2008 12:31:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Yoshi714  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 5:15:42 PM(UTC)
Yoshi714
Major

Yea the WB guide is very very vague on build lists. I do know you can make the AI build building where you want them, and they rebuild them as well. But as I stated earlier I cant get the scripts to apply to them. I think that the AI you are placing buildings for has to be its own player under the players list. You know you can add buildings to the AI build list that applies to the scripts right drummin?? I put lots of buildings in theer just in case locations they choose on certain maps arent buildable, then I have anotehr script telling them to build it in the other.
Offline Drummin  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 6:21:06 PM(UTC)
Drummin
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffMaps Staff: Maps Staff MemberRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff Member

Quote:
But as I stated earlier I cant get the scripts to apply to them.
Can you give an example? You said that AI will build the building in the location and then rebuild it. Are you saying AI doesn't use the building as in build units?

Also with regards to only one player... It's to bad there isn't a object option so you could say "build supply" and what ever faction is there would then build their own supply center.

Edited by user Friday, April 18, 2008 6:26:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Yoshi714  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 6:30:51 PM(UTC)
Yoshi714
Major

As in I gave the computer buildings taht i wanted them to have, to make them tough, and i told them where to build them and all that. They'd build them (only with the dozers i gave them cuz they woudltn make any more) and they would rebuild a buidling if i destroyed it and they had dozers left. BUT, they would not build units, or build more dozers. I only tried this for one day, a while back, and that was as far as i got, but i'm sure i was only a few steps from a very difficult compstomp matchup had i got it working.
Offline Drummin  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 6:42:15 PM(UTC)
Drummin
General

As I've not dealt directly with the build list before I can't say for sure. But I do know that when I spawned a unit out of sequence, before the prerequisites were met, the AI would stop. I found I could spawn defenses and so on, after power (if needed by AI), then supply was built. Could you maybe have built something out of "build order"?
Offline Yoshi714  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 8:25:50 PM(UTC)
Yoshi714
Major

no, i got build order down, lol, they had every building, just no units!! even multiples of war factories and barracks and yea.
Offline Me Myself and Pi  
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2008 4:44:28 PM(UTC)
Me Myself and Pi
Colonel

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 5 post(s)
You can't use those buildings in skirmish maps. Disapprove

The AI will build the buildings in the order that they are in in the build list as much as possible.

If you want a script a act upon a building being built. Create a script as a subroutine with just a condition as true, then double click on the building from the build list & you can select the script there.
Offline Yoshi714  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 2:17:30 PM(UTC)
Yoshi714
Major

damn... I was worried you or someone would say that!! So basically for what I wanted to do I would have to just have the buildings built and turn them over to them in the start.
Offline Drummin  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 4:38:15 PM(UTC)
Drummin
General

Hey Yoshi,
I'm sure you know that you can Spawn buildings later in the game. That's what I've been working on for the last few weeks. It makes for an interesting AI Base. Just be sure to use some kind of placehold so AI doesn't build in the same spot you're going to spawn to.
Offline Yoshi714  
#14 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2008 4:51:56 PM(UTC)
Yoshi714
Major

Yea, I just try to stick closely to the idea of a player (computer in this case) starting with a dozer and building just like the human player does. Spawning buildings is a little more than I would like to see them do. Thanks anyway. If only I could put AIData.ini file info into the map.ini file, then I could determine to a point where they will be building things for individual maps.