Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gn_Custard  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2016 2:44:38 PM(UTC)
Gn_Custard
Private
Denmark

Hi All Smile

This is my first post so please be friendly Cool

I was just wondering if anybody has ever fiddled with the 3D map flyover mission intros: You know, the ones with a long taunt from your opponent general? Eg like GLA: "Ah! I see you spying on my base, General" etc. Big Smile

I have an old dream about making my own missions but never got to it, mainly because I was having a hard time comprehending all the parameters in Worldbuilder...

Can it be done in Worldbuilder, do you think? Or do I need a 3rd party software to do it?

-I suppose one would have to tell the camera to fly over specific parts of the map or something?

Sponsor
Offline zero hour mad map maker  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2016 5:17:32 PM(UTC)
zero hour mad map maker
Colonel
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
Canada

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Hello there Gn_Custard! I give you a very warm welcome to the C&C labs community! Wink Thumb Up

Regarding your question, ALL of the map making for Generals is done in the World Builder. No 3rd party software required! Big Smile

Making a mission is quite complex, it's easier to start off making some skirmish maps if you're just beginning map making. However, I make missions all the time and they're my expertise. I made a map called Dr. Thrax's Toxic Revenge with all the features you are talking about. Taunts, camera intro's, special missions, etc. I know exactly what you're talking about ^_^.

Making good quality mission maps require high levels of scripting and if you want to make a mission that's well polished you'll have to know scripting almost to the degree of the programmers. HOWEVER, do NOT let me discourage you! Anyone can make mission maps that range from highly complex to simple. It all depends on what YOU want to make.

To get you started let me tell you how I began, just to give you some encouragement and an idea. Thumb Up

As I said before when I first started creating in the World Builder I made small and simple skirmish maps. With very basic scripting and map techniques. After I made about 15+ skirmish maps I began wondering about mission maps. I dreamed (like you! =)) of making a Dr. Thrax mission in which he is stronger and tougher! (Since I thought the Dr. Thrax mission that was made by the game creators was very easy. I wanted him to be tough!) I rummaged through a lot of mission maps that were made by the creators and learned from them. Soon enough I made my own! It took a while though, to learn all the scripting and aspects of missioning, but I got it in the end. Hooray! Laugh

Though when I made those mission maps that's before I came to C&C labs; so I didn't have any help xD. That just made it take longer haha.

Let me ask, are you familiar with making maps using World Builder? Or is this a first time experience for you? Also, to what degree is your knowledge of scripting, since scripting makes the intros, and AI/map function. Smile

I forgot how long I've been map making, eh I'd say a good 8 years. xDDead

Edited by user Tuesday, October 25, 2016 5:22:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ready for Anything! --- C&C Labs Staff , Maps Staff , Moderator
thanks 1 user thanked zero hour mad map maker for this useful post.
Gn_Custard on 10/25/2016(UTC)
Offline Gn_Custard  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2016 8:26:10 PM(UTC)
Gn_Custard
Private
Denmark

ZHMMM: I think your answer is the best I have ever received in any forum Wink Thumb Up

I am a programmer and I have been making very simple skirmish maps too Smile I have also modded Zero Hour to the point beyond recognition Big Smile The naval vessels were a pain in the beginning especially with the locomotor object but I got my way in the end Wink Changing bitmaps in the gui etc is pretty fun too.

Actually, I was hoping that I could start out with the original challenges, you know, like import them, edit them and then export.

I would change things like: map, camera flyover with the taunt in my own voice or Lo Wang's voice, if you know him (Shadow Warrior)? "Knock knock you FREAK! LO WANG in da house! HOOYAH!" Big Smile

Do you know, if it's possible to import an original challenge and have some fun with it Question Question

Edited by user Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:10:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline klingondragon  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2016 8:54:20 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom
Location: Laniakea; Virgo Supercluster; Local Sheet; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion–Cygnus Arm; Gould Belt; Local Bubble; Local Interstellar Cloud; Sol System; Sol III; Europe; United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland; Great Britain; England; Essex

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
Go to the installation order and open mapsZH.big (you may need to download finalbig first) then extract all the files. Edit the map as you would any other. Then either play them through the skirmish menu (by putting them in your documents' maps folder) or place them in the game's folder with a path matching the original (as seen in finalbig) to replace the missions outright.
Offline Gn_Custard  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:25:24 AM(UTC)
Gn_Custard
Private
Denmark

Originally Posted by: klingondragon Go to Quoted Post
Go to the installation order and open mapsZH.big (you may need to download finalbig first) then extract all the files. Edit the map as you would any other. Then either play them through the skirmish menu (by putting them in your documents' maps folder) or place them in the game's folder with a path matching the original (as seen in finalbig) to replace the missions outright.

Yup, I have worked alot with FinalBig in the past. It's a great piece of software! when you finally get the bug-free version.

The details that I really need to know is: How to find and edit the challenge intros like the flyover of the enemy base while the audio is taunting me with the voice of a general -that is, if anybody has any experience in that area Wink

I don't think it's a skirmish per say: The final result should be accessed via "The Challenge Button".

It's been a while since I have fiddled with this. Maybe I should get back to you guys in a couple of days; then I can be more specific Smile

Edited by user Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:28:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline klingondragon  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:09:57 AM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom
Location: Laniakea; Virgo Supercluster; Local Sheet; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion–Cygnus Arm; Gould Belt; Local Bubble; Local Interstellar Cloud; Sol System; Sol III; Europe; United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland; Great Britain; England; Essex

I didn't mean you play it as a skirmish. You can play single player missions through the skirmish interface by selecting a mission map from custom maps.

To edit the flyover and voiceovers you should have a look at the scripts. There will be a lot so it could take some time to find the right one. All the scripts are pretty self explanatory (IF condition THEN do this).
thanks 1 user thanked klingondragon for this useful post.
Gn_Custard on 10/26/2016(UTC)
Offline zero hour mad map maker  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2016 6:41:09 AM(UTC)
zero hour mad map maker
Colonel
Canada

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gn_Custard Go to Quoted Post
ZHMMM: I think your answer is the best I have ever received in any forum Wink Thumb Up

I am a programmer and I have been making very simple skirmish maps too Smile I have also modded Zero Hour to the point beyond recognition Big Smile The naval vessels were a pain in the beginning especially with the locomotor object but I got my way in the end Wink Changing bitmaps in the gui etc is pretty fun too.

Actually, I was hoping that I could start out with the original challenges, you know, like import them, edit them and then export.

I would change things like: map, camera flyover with the taunt in my own voice or Lo Wang's voice, if you know him (Shadow Warrior)? "Knock knock you FREAK! LO WANG in da house! HOOYAH!" Big Smile

Do you know, if it's possible to import an original challenge and have some fun with it Question Question

Oh my gosh thank you haha Shock Blush Big Smile

Those are quite the achievements! I applaud you for your modding skills! I can't mod Zero Hour for the life of me LOL. Other games yes, but not Generals......

That's a great concept! In fact, when I made my Dr.Thrax map that's what I did xD Extracted the game's pre-built general challenges (pretty sure that's what a LOT of people did, but i digress!). What you need to do to accomplish this is as KlingonDragon stated is to open the maps.big file and find a general mission that you like. Then extract all those scripts and import them into your mission if you haven't already.

The flyover's/cinematic intros are very easy to edit and should be in the INTRO folder. The scripts look somethings like this:

*** IF ***
True.
*** THEN ***
Set Flag named '_GAME_ON' to FALSE
The world is revealed permanently for Player 'The_Player'.
Start letterbox mode (hide UI, add border).
Disable mouse and keyboard input.
Disable Script 'GC - VO Triggers (Generic)'.
Set timer '_CINE_TIMER' to expire in 1500 frames.
Set timer '_CINE_TIMER2' to expire in 2.00 seconds.
Position camera at Waypoint 'cm_Start1', zoom = 1.00(0.0 to 1.0), pitch = 1.00(1.0==default), looking towards Waypoint 'cm_Look1'.
'Taunts_Toxin009' plays, allowing overlap TRUE (true to allow, false to disallow).
Set the desired sound volume to 0.00%. (0-100)
Set the desired music volume to 80.00%. (0-100)

CINE_FirstMove

*** IF ***
Timer '_CINE_TIMER2' has expired.
*** THEN ***
Move camera to Waypoint 'cm_Pos1a' in 8.50 seconds, camera shutter 0.00 seconds, ease-in 2.00 seconds, ease-out 2.00 seconds.
Look towardWaypoint 'cm_Look1a' during the camera movement.
Set timer '_CINE_TIMER2' to expire in 9.00 seconds.
Set timer 'Audio_Taunt_Timer' to expire in 10.00 seconds.
Enable Script 'CINE_1a'.

If you found something along these lines you can change the camera by the one's that I bolded. To do that change the zoom/pitch/ease-in to your desired values and create new Waypoints for the camera to move to and new Waypoints for the camera to look at! Taunts are really fun, so go have fun with those Big Smile

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Wednesday, October 26, 2016 6:47:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ready for Anything! --- C&C Labs Staff , Maps Staff , Moderator
thanks 1 user thanked zero hour mad map maker for this useful post.
Gn_Custard on 10/26/2016(UTC)
Offline Gn_Custard  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:04:52 PM(UTC)
Gn_Custard
Private
Denmark

Originally Posted by: Zero Hour Mad Map Maker Go to Quoted Post

Oh my gosh thank you haha Shock Blush Big Smile

Those are quite the achievements! I applaud you for your modding skills! I can't mod Zero Hour for the life of me LOL. Other games yes, but not Generals......

That's a great concept! In fact, when I made my Dr.Thrax map that's what I did xD Extracted the game's pre-built general challenges (pretty sure that's what a LOT of people did, but i digress!). What you need to do to accomplish this is as KlingonDragon stated is to open the maps.big file and find a general mission that you like. Then extract all those scripts and import them into your mission if you haven't already.

--- snip ---

You are a GEM! Cool That is exactly what I was looking for Thumb Up Thumb Up

Mao would say: "You are very generous, General." You've just made my day! Thank you! Excited Gun Smilie

-where is the *bow* smiley Smile

Edited by user Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:06:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Gn_Custard  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:24:19 PM(UTC)
Gn_Custard
Private
Denmark

I didn't mean you play it as a skirmish. You can play single player missions through the skirmish interface by selecting a mission map from custom maps.

To edit the flyover and voiceovers you should have a look at the scripts. There will be a lot so it could take some time to find the right one. All the scripts are pretty self explanatory (IF condition THEN do this).

Oh! I see Smile I just didn't realise that mission maps could be played as a skirmish. In my mind they would probably conflict because normally missions are not supposed to let players change any parameters Smile

Still, I would like to know where one would tell the gui to put my missions under the "Challenge" button Smile
Offline klingondragon  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:27:40 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom

That depends, do you want to replace an existing mission or extend a campaign?
Offline Gn_Custard  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2016 6:13:29 AM(UTC)
Gn_Custard
Private
Denmark

That depends, do you want to replace an existing mission or extend a campaign?

Ideally, I would leave the existing missions alone but add a new shield/seal on the world map in the challenge selection phase. As stated earlier, I would copy some elements and add new ones.

-Maybe even make some of the generals stronger like #2 has done.

Depending on how time consuming it will be, I might even shuffle them all around making them better/stronger Wink

Edited by user Thursday, October 27, 2016 6:16:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline klingondragon  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:04:43 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom

If you want to make a new challenge it could take some modding (including window modding).
You'd have to put the maps in the install folder (copy the path in the maps big) then modify the challenge ini file to create the new challenge.
thanks 1 user thanked klingondragon for this useful post.
Gn_Custard on 10/27/2016(UTC)
Offline Gn_Custard  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2016 8:58:37 PM(UTC)
Gn_Custard
Private
Denmark

If you want to make a new challenge it could take some modding (including window modding).
You'd have to put the maps in the install folder (copy the path in the maps big) then modify the challenge ini file to create the new challenge.

Noted! Thank you Thumb Up