Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline SUPER-G  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2016 2:13:07 PM(UTC)
SUPER-G
Colonel
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
Canada

Was thanked: 116 time(s) in 100 post(s)
This is something i attempted a while ago, but couldn't figure out a way for it to work. The idea here is to create a 'game mode' similar to that of Battlefield's Conquest.

If you're not familiar with Battlefield, Conquest is known as the most popular mode, where 2 sides have to capture 'objectives' to drain their opponent's 'tickets'. If your team owns more objectives than the other, their tickets are drained slowly. The more you own, the faster they drain, and the match goes until one side loses all of their tickets. Tickets can also be lost when players are killed, but is not the best or most efficient way of draining your enemies tickets.

I think this is definitely possible with Generals, and i may try something soon that plays around with this idea. It may not be as complex as what i described earlier, as scripting in this game is somewhat limited, but it can still revolve around the same idea.

So what do you guys think?

Edited by user Sunday, January 17, 2016 8:51:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Discord - PK_Soar #9531
PK_Soar #9531

He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in
one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom. - Anton Lavey

Sponsor
Offline Gameanater  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2016 6:12:56 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 144 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SUPER-G Go to Quoted Post
So what do you guys think?

I think your new avatar is quite... Strange. XD

This is something i attempted a while ago, but couldn't figure out a way for it to work. The idea here is to create a 'game mode' similar to that of Battlefield's Conquest.

If you're not familiar with Battlefield, Conquest is known as the most popular mode, where 2 sides have to capture 'objectives' to drain their opponent's 'tickets'. If your team owns more objectives than the other, their tickets are drained slowly. The more you own, the faster they drain, and the match goes until one side loses all of their tickets. Tickets can also be lost when players are killed, but is not the best or most efficient way of draining your enemies tickets.

I think this is definitely possible with Generals, and i may try something soon that plays around with this idea. It may not be as complex as what i described earlier, as scripting in this game is somewhat limited, but it can still revolve around the same idea.

That sounds pretty cool, but it might not be very possible in a Skirmish map. A single player mission map, probably. Skirmish scripting is pretty limited and doing anything beyond the most simple actions requires a lot of workarounds. Even the simple stuff does, actually.

What would we use in place of tickets and how would we drain the enemy's "tickets"?

Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
Offline SUPER-G  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2016 6:35:38 PM(UTC)
SUPER-G
Colonel
Canada

Originally Posted by: Gameanater Go to Quoted Post
That sounds pretty cool, but it might not be very possible in a Skirmish map. A single player mission map, probably. Skirmish scripting is pretty limited and doing anything beyond the most simple actions requires a lot of workarounds. Even the simple stuff does, actually.

It'll have to be a multiplayer only map, because the idea would be to capture and hold an objective for as long as possible rather than just destroy the enemy base, which is what the Ai will do instinctively.

Originally Posted by: Gameanater Go to Quoted Post
What would we use in place of tickets and how would we drain the enemy's "tickets"?

We could use just 'points', or even a countdown timer would suffice. I actually think that would be best now that i think about it.

So, when player 1 captures the objective, player 2's timer starts to count down from...let's say 5 minutes. Player 2 has 5 minutes to capture the objective, and if he/she doesn't, their base is destroyed by a super weapon, or maybe more than one super weapon.

Discord - PK_Soar #9531
PK_Soar #9531

He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in

Offline Rrtaya_tsamsiyu  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2016 8:29:21 PM(UTC)
Rrtaya_tsamsiyu
Colonel
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Should be possible to program the ai to work, but you would have to do lots custom stuff. Doing this in multi only would be alot easier though. Really what you would need would be a ticket tracker script for each starting point, and have capturable areas act as multipliers, that's the part I'm not sure is possible. Or use G's method.
one soul at a time
Offline Annihilationzh  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2016 9:36:34 AM(UTC)
Annihilationzh
General
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 475 time(s) in 331 post(s)
I'd do something like this (pseudo-code)

Script 1:
IF True
THEN Set counter0 to 200 AND make counter public

Script 2: (every second, does not deactivate)
IF Player0 owns building OR civilian owns building
THEN nothing
ELSE counter minus 1

Script 3:
IF counter is < 1
THEN Kill player0 (or whatever)

So if another player owns the building then this player has 200 seconds before he dies.

Edited by user Monday, January 18, 2016 9:37:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

If you need help, post in the forum. You'll get help a lot faster than if you send me a PM.

I reject all buddy requests. I don't think 'buddy' needs to be made official. It's not like you're marrying me.
thanks 2 users thanked Annihilationzh for this useful post.
Gameanater on 1/18/2016(UTC), SUPER-G on 1/18/2016(UTC)
Offline SUPER-G  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2016 4:12:43 PM(UTC)
SUPER-G
Colonel
Canada

Originally Posted by: Annihilationzh Go to Quoted Post
I'd do something like this (pseudo-code)

Script 1:
IF True
THEN Set counter0 to 200 AND make counter public

Script 2: (every second, does not deactivate)
IF Player0 owns building OR civilian owns building
THEN nothing
ELSE counter minus 1

Script 3:
IF counter is < 1
THEN Kill player0 (or whatever)

So if another player owns the building then this player has 200 seconds before he dies.

Doing that would also make it possible to take away a 'ticket' every time a unit is killed, which would make players try to be more strategic with how they capture the objective. This also means there can be more than one objective potentially.
Discord - PK_Soar #9531
PK_Soar #9531

thanks 1 user thanked SUPER-G for this useful post.
Gameanater on 1/18/2016(UTC)
Offline SUPER-G  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2016 7:41:46 PM(UTC)
SUPER-G
Colonel
Canada

So after monkeying around with the idea today, i have a playable 'beta'.

I've ironed out all the bugs i could find at this point, and im confident that it works flawlessly (but i still want it tested, of course).

However, there is an issue.

UserPostedImage

I need these to say something like "Player 1's tickets:", but i haven't the slightest idea of how to make it display what i need it to, and could really use a hand.
Discord - PK_Soar #9531
PK_Soar #9531

thanks 1 user thanked SUPER-G for this useful post.
Gameanater on 2/29/2016(UTC)
Offline Gameanater  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 29, 2016 9:31:55 AM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Doesn't your old CnC Zombies map have a "Points" counter similar to that? You could look there.
Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
thanks 1 user thanked Gameanater for this useful post.
SUPER-G on 2/29/2016(UTC)
Offline SUPER-G  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2016 10:23:23 PM(UTC)
SUPER-G
Colonel
Canada

UserPostedImage

Thanks for reminding me of that Gamenater!

Basically, i had to go into the .str file that also holds the string info for the intro.

Next i need to decide whether it's needed to remove the supply depot from the US and replace it with the Chinese one, and whether i should remove Black Lotus (she captures buildings much faster and is stealthed, giving China factions an unfair advantage in this game mode).
Discord - PK_Soar #9531
PK_Soar #9531

Offline Annihilationzh  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:10:02 AM(UTC)
Annihilationzh
General
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 475 time(s) in 331 post(s)
Next i need to decide whether it's needed to remove the supply depot from the US and replace it with the Chinese one, and whether i should remove Black Lotus (she captures buildings much faster and is stealthed, giving China factions an unfair advantage in this game mode).

That's not an unfair advantage because Lotus is a late game unit. It's minigunners, toxin rebels and stealth rebels that provide an unfair advantage.
If you need help, post in the forum. You'll get help a lot faster than if you send me a PM.

I reject all buddy requests. I don't think 'buddy' needs to be made official. It's not like you're marrying me.
Offline ComradeGeneral  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2016 2:50:58 PM(UTC)
ComradeGeneral
Private
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Doing that would also make it possible to take away a 'ticket' every time a unit is killed, which would make players try to be more strategic with how they capture the objective. This also means there can be more than one objective potentially.

Could you create an object list with all usable units in it, and then say if player0 loses a unit of type (object list with everything) then subtract one from their counter?

Home is where the InnerPerimeter is.
Offline SUPER-G  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2016 4:35:34 PM(UTC)
SUPER-G
Colonel
Canada

Originally Posted by: ComradeGeneral Go to Quoted Post

Could you create an object list with all usable units in it, and then say if player0 loses a unit of type (object list with everything) then subtract one from their counter?

That's a possibility, I'll be trying a few different things in regards to that.
Discord - PK_Soar #9531
PK_Soar #9531

Offline Gameanater  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 8:56:34 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

UserPostedImage

Thanks for reminding me of that Gamenater!

Basically, i had to go into the .str file that also holds the string info for the intro.

Originally Posted by: Annihilationzh Go to Quoted Post

That's not an unfair advantage because Lotus is a late game unit. It's minigunners, toxin rebels and stealth rebels that provide an unfair advantage.

@AZH
And don't forget King Raptors, Toxin RPGs, Rockvees, and... Poor China doesn't have anything like that! Communists. :(

@SUPER-GREAT
Why would you want to remove the US Supply Center? Yes Chinooks can be used for Missile Defender drops and Rockvee/Dozer transport, but as far as I can tell that (aside from maybe the Rockvees) is not considered completely unfair. It is a legitimate strategy, far as I can tell.

Also, one more thing.

Don't do this in your .str:
Quote:
SCRIPT:P1
"Player 1's Tickets:"
END

Because anybody who downloads the map off another player in-game will not see the "Player 1's Tickets:" part, they will instead see "MISSING: SCRIPT:P1", which will leave them wondering what it's actually supposed to say. Instead, do this:

Quote:
Player_One_Tickets-
"Player 1's Tickets:"
END

That way, they'll instead see "MISSING: Player_One_Tickets-" and at least get an idea of what the display actually says.

Originally Posted by: ComradeGeneral Go to Quoted Post

I like that idea.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 9, 2016 8:58:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified