Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kdreamland  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 1:03:49 PM(UTC)
kdreamland
Private

***********MOVED TO CORRECT THREAD***********

Hi there guys. I've just started building AOD maps. Could you guys help me out a little concerning a few things? Please make your answers as detailed as possible, so I can then understand why a script needs to be a certain way, etc.

1. How to get the Skirmish USA AOD comp to fire China/GLA Geneals Powers weapons?In the begining, I use purchase powers script in order to get the a10's and anthrax bomb. The Comp uses A10's after I enable the script. but it doesn't use the anthrax, or EMP pulse etc. It uses GLA/China Base Defense structures such as stinger sites however. What am I doing wrong?

Below is an example of some of the scripts I have used....please feel free to point out or correct the mistakes I have made.

Code:
** IF ***
    True.
*** THEN ***
   Player 'SkirmishAmerica' is granted Science 'SCIENCE_A10ThunderboltMissileStrike3'.
   Player 'SkirmishAmerica' is granted Science 'SCIENCE_AnthraxBomb'.
  Show debug string and pause: String: '???'
   Player 'SkirmishAmerica' is granted Science 'SCIENCE_ClusterMines'.
   Player 'SkirmishAmerica' is granted Science 'Chem_SCIENCE_RebelAmbush3'.
   Player 'SkirmishAmerica' is granted Science 'SCIENCE_EMPPulse'.
   Player 'SkirmishAmerica' is granted Science 'SCIENCE_LeafletDrop'.
   Player 'SkirmishAmerica' is granted Science 'SCIENCE_SpectreGunship1'.
   Player 'SkirmishAmerica' is granted Science 'SCIENCE_DaisyCutter'.

*** IF ***
     Player 'SkirmishAmerica' is ready to fire Special power 'SuperweaponAnthraxBomb'.
*** THEN ***
   Player 'SkirmishAmerica' fire Special power 'SuperweaponAnthraxBomb'

** IF ***
    Timer 'SpawnBA' has expired.
*** THEN ***
  Enable Script 'UseAnthrax'.
   Team 'teamSkirmishAmerica' use Ability 'Command_AnthraxBomb' at Waypoint 'anthrax'.
   Team 'SpawnBA' use Ability 'Command_ConstructAmericaVehicleHellfireDrone'.
  Spawn an instance of Team 'SpawnBA' at Waypoint 'CreateWP2'.
   Team 'SpawnBA' use Ability 'Command_ConstructAmericaVehicleHellfireDrone'.

2. One or two buildings are seen outside of the borders. So for example, even though the outside is hidden in darkness, you can still slightly see some of the AI's structures. This causes a problem because players can force fire and attack them. I suppose I can just move them farther away, or is there a way to hide them?

3. The AI uses structures, such as Base Defense units to attack players, that I place using the below script, but it won't use the Nuke SW. Why is this? I thought I had evertything covered:

Code:
** IF ***
    True.
*** THEN ***
  Spawn Unit 'Chinaspeakertower' of type 'ChinaSpeakerTower' on Team 'teamSkirmishAmerica' at waypoint Waypoint 'Chinaspeaktower'
  Spawn Unit 'angrymob1' of type 'Chem_GLAInfantryAngryMobMolotov02' on Team 'teamSkirmishAmerica' at waypoint Waypoint 'Angry mob'
  Spawn Unit 'Nuke1' of type 'ChinaNuclearMissileLauncher' on Team 'teamSkirmishAmerica' at waypoint Waypoint 'Nuke'
  Spawn Unit 'Gatcannon1' of type 'ChinaGattlingCannon' on Team 'teamSkirmishAmerica' at waypoint Waypoint 'Gattling cannon 1'
 etc.

*** IF ***
    Timer 'SpawnKA' has expired.
*** THEN ***
   Spawn an instance of Team 'surpriseteam4' at Waypoint 'surprise 4'.
  Enable Script 'UseSWNuke'.
Team 'teamSkirmishAmerica' use Ability 'Nuke_Command_NukeDrop' at Waypoint 'KingWP1'
Unit 'Nuke1' fires Special power 'Nuke_SuperweaponNukeDrop' at Waypoint 'KingWP1'.

4. When I use the below script using a team made of enemy tanks they spawn and attack enemy players. But when I use the same script for enemy AI Black Lotus, she won't start capturing and selling enemy buildings. She just stands in one place. Why is this? Also is there a way to get her to be air dropped in via a MOAB jet or something instead of just spawning?

Code:
*** IF ***
    True.
*** THEN ***
      Team 'surpriseteam3' begins hunting.
   Team 'surpriseteam4' begins hunting.
   Team 'stealth toxin truck' begins hunting.
   Team 'Black Lotus' begins hunting.
Spawn an instance of Team 'Black Lotus' at Waypoint 'BlackLot1'.
  Spawn an instance of Team 'Black Lotus' at Waypoint 'BlackLot2'.
  Spawn an instance of Team 'Black Lotus' at Waypoint 'Blacklot3'.

5. Because the map seems slightly easier right at the end as players start to expand their base near the end, rather than just Nuke their base, for the final remaining waves, I want them unable to purchase aircraft and for all existing aircraft they have built to be destroyed, to force them to use tanks for the last run. I haven't played an AOD yet that does this. Is it possible?

6. I have a point counter that remains onscreen for the entire match. I don't seem able to give the onscreen points a name however, they remain as 'missing'. How do I give them a name? It'll only let me change the text to preset values such as SCRIPT:CHI02AudioHolder01 , it won't let me give it a custom name.
Code:
** IF ***
    True.
*** THEN ***
  [???]Show 'AIPoints' with text Localized String: '???'

7. For the last wave I want the camera for all the players to zoom in on a particular unit and a message to scroll across the screen informing players about the unit. afterwards the camera can be free again. This unit is a laser crusader, that detonates a nuke when destroyed. I don't seem able to modiy the health of the unit in Edit Team Template, nor the 'explosion'. How would I go about doing this? I'm trying to make the last wave be a 'last ditch effort' by the comp, where the general himself comes to attack you.

Apologies for such a long first post. I really thought I understood about making an AOD with basic waves and stuff, but it seems those SW are just out of my reach.
Sponsor
Offline i^love^mixery  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 1:41:21 PM(UTC)
i^love^mixery
Colonel

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 147 post(s)
- spawn named command center of needed faction outside of the map
- tell it to use command abilty on waypoint (Unit -> Command Button -> The 1st):
Code:
*** IF ***
    True.
*** THEN ***
   Unit 'chinacommandcenter' use Ability 'Command_ArtilleryBarrage' at Waypoint 'fire'.

this will always work, regardless of the ability countdown or availability.

2. there is no way to make units invisible. just make them indestructible and place them further away..

3. do the same as in 1. with the nuke sw.

a)make black lotus hunt using command ability (Team -> Hunt -> The 1st):
Code:
*** IF ***
    True.
*** THEN ***
   Team 'lotus' begins hunting using Ability 'Command_ChinaInfantryBlackLotusCaptureHack'.

b)in the team menu, double click a team and in the tab "Reinforcement" you can select the unit that you want to transport the team (Deploy by). Be sure to select the start waypoint there. the veterancy level there only is for the transporter, not for the team itself.

5. destroying all air units is not possible with scripts. you can however create aurora enemy teams and then you let them destroy all airfields using an AttackPrioritySet (first thing in script action list). just send them to hunt and create an AttackPrioritySet with default priority 0 and then set priority for all airfields of any faction to 1 and then assign this set to the aurora teams.

for the helis that are already on the map you can spawn emp bombs all along the entire map lol..

but this sounds really unfair..

6. to create a custom timer name you have to shut down worldbuilder, then create a new notepad file, write the following into it:
Code:

SCRIPT:YourDesiredName
"YourDesiredName"
END

save this under the name map.str and put this file into the map folder of your aod.

a laser crusader will only work if the comp has power. make sure he does.

a) do you need help doing the camera stuff?

b) you can only modify health of units that you placed already in the worldbuilder. you can place a named unit outside of the border, modify its health in the 'Object Properties' window and then transfer it to the AI player using the script Player -> Transfer -> The first

c) about the explosion: this one is not easy.

you could make a nuke SW use its command ability onto a specific unit (e.G. the laser crusader) when it died.

Code:
*** IF ***
     Unit 'Laser Crusader' has been destroyed.
*** THEN ***
   Unit 'nuke' use Ability 'Command_NeutronMissile' on Unit 'Laser Crusader'.

this should work i guess, but of course the nuke will take some time to inpact.

thanks 1 user thanked i^love^mixery for this useful post.
kdreamland on 4/30/2012(UTC)
Offline kdreamland  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 3:56:51 PM(UTC)
kdreamland
Private

Thanks for your help! I'm begining to sort of understand this a little more better now. I changed my scripts in all the places you mentioned and it really helped out. Stuff like the .str files I never guessed lol.

Thanks for your ideas on the Auroa team to attack the airfield. here is the new script concerning that....it should work, right?
Code:
*** IF ***
    True.
Team 'Auroateam2' begins hunting.
   Team 'Auroateam' begins hunting.

*** IF ***
    Timer 'SpawnKA' has expired.
*** THEN ***
 Spawn an instance of Team 'Auroateam2' at Waypoint 'Player_5_Start'.
  Spawn an instance of Team 'Auroateam' at Waypoint 'Player_5_Start'.
  For Attack priority set 'auroaattackset' set the default priority to  1 
  Have Team 'Auroateam' use Attack priority set 'auroaattackset'.
  For Attack priority set 'auroaattackset' set the priority of object type 'AirF_AmericaAirfield' to  1 
  For Attack priority set 'auroaattackset' set the priority of object type 'AmericaAirfield' to  1 
  For Attack priority set 'auroaattackset' set the priority of object type 'Nuke_ChinaAirfield' to  1 
  For Attack priority set 'auroaattackset' set the priority of object type 'Infa_ChinaAirfield' to  1 
  For Attack priority set 'auroaattackset' set the priority of object type 'Lazr_AmericaAirfield' to  1 
  For Attack priority set 'auroaattackset2' set the priority of object type 'Lazr_AmericaAirfield' to  1 
  For Attack priority set 'auroaattackset2' set the priority of object type 'SupW_AmericaAirfield' to  1 
  For Attack priority set 'auroaattackset' set the priority of object type 'SupW_AmericaAirfield' to  1 
  For Attack priority set 'auroaattackset2' set the priority of object type 'AirF_AmericaAirfield' to  1 
  For Attack priority set 'auroaattackset2' set the priority of object type 'ChinaAirfield' to  1 
  For Attack priority set 'auroaattackset2' set the default priority to  1 
  Have Team 'Auroateam2' use Attack priority set 'auroaattackset2'.

For 7,
First of all I made sure the comp has inf power. till game is over anyway. Followed your instructions concerning the Object Position and modifying the health.
Here is the script I have made so far for the Laser Crusader:

Code:
*** IF ***
    True.
*** THEN ***
   Unit 'GeneralsLAserTank' is transferred to the command of Player 'SkirmishAmerica'

*** IF ***
     Team 'SpawnLB' has been destroyed.
*** THEN ***
  Move Unit 'GeneralsLAserTank' to Waypoint 'KingWP1'.
  Have the camera tethered to Unit 'GeneralsLAserTank'.  Snap camera to object is TRUE.  Amount of play is 0.05.
   Unit 'GeneralsLAserTank' begins hunting.

So this:
Transfers Tank to the AI player,
Moves it to a certain waypoint when a wave is destroyed
Makes the camera move to that unit, but is only attached for 5 seconds to it.
After it reaches the waypoint, it starts to hunt the human players.

Is this correct? If I'm missing code, let me know. I'll add it to the win objective as soon as I know this definitly works!

I decided to drop the whole explosion thing.
thanks for your help once again!!!
Offline i^love^mixery  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2011 5:41:10 PM(UTC)
i^love^mixery
Colonel

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 147 post(s)
the default attack priority for the auroras has to be 0 and not 1.

0 = they dont attack anything
1 = they attack everything

you know what this stuff means right?
they will check what units there are and they will attack the one with the hightest number first.

if you set the default priority to 1 and for airfields to 1 too then they will handle ALL units equally.

if you set it to 0 and only for the airfields to 1 then they will ONLY attack airfields and ignore everything else, even if there are no airfields left.

if you set it to 1 and for airfields to 2 then they will first destroy all airfields and if there are no airfields they will attack the first unit they meet..

also you should create only one priority set for the auroras. if you create 2 sets like you did then it might happen that only one of the aurora teams is actually attacking the airfields because for the other set all the faction airfields might be missing.

concerning 7)
- do NOT use the script "move to waypoint" in aod maps. it causes MAJOR lag if the way is blocked.
instead use "exactly follow waypoint path".

@ the camera tether: are you sure that 'amount of play' works that way? afaik you have to manually stop tethering after a 5 second countdown like *IF* timer has expired *THEN* stop tethering to any units - but im not sure about that one.

also before controlling the camera you should disable mouse and keyboard input and start letterbox mode:
(User -> Input -> Disable)
(Camera -> Letterbox -> Begin)

when the cinematic sequence is over you disable letterbox mode and enable inputs again.

also when its done you should reset the camera to default:
(Camera -> Move -> Reset to default)

also im not sure if this will work correctly, because the commands you give in scripts are processed one after another:
Code:
*** IF ***
    True.
*** THEN ***
   Unit 'GeneralsLAserTank' is transferred to the command of Player 'SkirmishAmerica'

*** IF ***
     Team 'SpawnLB' has been destroyed.
*** THEN ***
  Move Unit 'GeneralsLAserTank' to Waypoint 'KingWP1'.
  Have the camera tethered to Unit 'GeneralsLAserTank'.  Snap camera to object is TRUE.  Amount of play is 0.05.
   Unit 'GeneralsLAserTank' begins hunting.

talking about the last line:
the unit will move to the waypoint but then immediately stop and start hunting instead because you tell it to do so.

you need a seperate script if you want it to hunt after reaching an area (maybe your way even works but i doubt it)

Edited by user Friday, October 14, 2011 5:59:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked i^love^mixery for this useful post.
kdreamland on 4/30/2012(UTC)
Offline kdreamland  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2011 2:31:20 PM(UTC)
kdreamland
Private

Hey thanks!! I decided to make the camera follow the unit until it reached a certain area, so the camera stays tethed UNTIL it reaches area X. It seems to be working well in practice.

And I didn't know about the letterbox mode, or user input disable/enable. Needless to say, using them makes it a lot more cinematic!

About the 'move to waypoint' thing, the unit didn't seem to move at all, so I just made it start hunting and put area X right in front of it. Nect time I'll try using what you recomended: the 'exactly follow waypoint path' script.

I definitly didn't know jack about the priority thing, I amended them the way you recomended! It makes sense to me know, the whole prioty set = 0 and airfields set to 1 etc.

I intend to start another map in about a month or so (scripting and double checking and rechecking is getting to me), so I'll probably need your help again, as it involves heavy scripting again. If this one is well liked by anyone I may even submit it lol

Thanks for your help!

Edited by user Sunday, October 16, 2011 2:31:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified