Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Fal  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2007 5:43:01 PM(UTC)
Fal
Private

Problem with the keyboard controls in Generals.

Zero Hour works perfectly - the arrow keys move the view around the map and right-click can be set as the "action" button in the options.

Generals won't cooperate. The arrow keys simply select the next available unit, and left click does everything. The only way to move around the map is by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen and scrolling that way. Awkward and annoying. I don't remember having this problem the last time I had the game installed, or how I fixed it.

Would really appreciate some help so I can get playing. I've been completely ignored in other CNC forums. Either people don't know the answer, or just don't care to reply...

Thanks in advance if you can help me out. Cheers.
Sponsor
Offline renaissance  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:00:23 PM(UTC)
renaissance
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
Canada

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hmm, this sounds like an interesting issue, its new to me at least. I don't have Generals/ZH installed so I'm trusting my year-old memory on this one.

If you haven't already, try opening the INI file and manually change the values (refer to the ZH file if necessary) but I don't think that is going to be too useful...

I mean it could be that Generals is supposed to be that way (I can't remember darn it!)
UserPostedImage
Offline Fal  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:09:03 PM(UTC)
Fal
Private

I remember playing through all the missions when I bought the game around the time it came out, and I know I never would have done it if I had to play it that way. I know I never had to manually edit anything... I remember now installing the game about 18 months ago or so and having the same issues (including the cold shoulder in tech support forums) so I uninstalled it and forgot about it until now. Sure would be nice to play it normally again, it's to aggravating to even attempt.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Hopefully somebody knows something about it so I can get playing again.
Offline Blbpaws  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:28:10 PM(UTC)
Blbpaws
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 32 post(s)
I've always right clicked and dragged the mouse (using the normal mouse setup) to move quickly, or used the minimap. Does that not work?
UserPostedImage
Offline CG Apollos  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2007 4:36:19 AM(UTC)
CG Apollos
Commander in Chief

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Fal, the Arrow Keys for scrolling were re-enabled in a later Generals patch. The first version had them select other units and other things. Just patch the game to the latest version and you should get the Arrow Key scrolling back. Download them Here.

I know this because I can't stand playing when the arrow keys can't scroll, too. Wink

Edited by user Thursday, February 1, 2007 5:04:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified