Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Me Myself and Pi  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2008 8:36:26 AM(UTC)
Me Myself and Pi
Colonel

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Have any of you guys ever wanted to the "Preview Sound" button working? It's rather easy. In short, all you have to do is extract all of the audio files out of the BIG files & world builder will reccanize them & will preview the sound! If you know how to do that, then you don't need to read the step by step instructions below.

Please take note that following the Command & Conquer Generals Instructions, will add 500 MB's to your computer & for Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour, it's 800 MB's. When you extract the audio files, it basically makes copies of all the audio files.

Command & Conquer Generals Instructions:
1) First you need the FinalBIG program. You can download it here, http://www.cncgeneralswo...howPage&page=modding
2) Now go to the game directory. ("C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals" Unless you specified a diffent loction for it while installing.)
3) Open up the "SpeechEnglish.big" file in FinalBIG.
4) Click on the "Edit" menu & click on "Extract all"
5) In the "Browse for folder" window, select the game directory folder. (To do this, click on the "+" to the left of "Local Disc (C:)", "Program Files", & Then "EA Games". Unless you specified a different location for the game directory, as I said above.)
6) Now select (Don't open) "Command and Conquer Generals" & click on "OK". (On my computer, it took about a minute & a half to complete the extraction.)
7) Repeat the steps above only with the "Speech.big". But some of them might not work though. Probably because EA Games intended some clips to play, but disited against it latter.
8) The sound effect files are split up into two files, one with the voices & the other with the sounds. You'll need to repeat the steps above extracting these two just as you did with the "SpeechEnglish.big". They're called "AudioEnglish.big" & "Audio.big".

That's it!

Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour instrustions:
1) First you need the FinalBIG program. You can download it here, http://www.cncgeneralswo...howPage&page=modding
2) Now go to the game directory. ("C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals" Unless you specified a diffent loction for it while installing.)
3) Open up the "SpeechEnglishZH.big" file in FinalBIG.
4) Click on the "Edit" menu & click on "Extract all"
5) In the "Browse for folder" window, select the game directory folder. (To do this, click on the "+" to the left of "Local Disc C:", "Program Files", & then "EA Games". Unless you specified a different location for the game directory, as I said above.)
6) Now select (Don't open) "Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour" & click on "OK". (On my computer, it took about a minute & a half to complete the extraction.)
7) Repeat the steps above only with the "SpeechZH.big". Zero Hour uses the some of these files that are in Generals though. Those files won't work until you repeat the steps above only with the "Speech.big" & "SpeechEnglish.big" files located in the Generals directory. Now almost all the files will start working! The names of some of the clips are in the sound clip list, but I guess at the last minute, EA disited not use them, so the deleted the sound clips, but not the names. So some of them might not work.
8) The sound effect files are split up into two files, one with the voices & the other with the sounds. But as I said before, Zero Hour uses a lot of the the sound effects used in Generals. So you'll need to extract the two files for Generals two. You'll need to repeat the steps above extracting all four of these files just as you did with the "SpeechEnglish.big". The two files in the Generals directory are called "AudioEnglish.big" & "Audio.big". In the Zero Hour directory, they're called "AudioEnglishZH.big", & "AudioZH.big". Extract the Generals sounds first. So that when you extract the Zero Hour sounds after, it'll overlap any sounds that were changed when Zero Hour was made. If you do the Zero Hour sounds first, you'll here a ranger machine gun sound the way it does in Generals. I'm sure there are many more sounds that'll sound different too.

That's it!

If you suspected that you extracted the files in the wrong place, then open up the search program. In the search, type in "Data" At least two "Data"s will come up, one in the Generals directory & the other in the Zero Hour directory. If you find more, then check the folders in side it & see if you come across the sound files. Once you know you've found the right folder, delete it & start over with the extraction of those files. But be sure not to delete another folder called "Data" that has nothing to do with C&C that might have been created by you another user. The other user might get pretty mad.

Now, this won't get all the sounds working (as I said before). Some of them I guess EA Games wanted to put it, so they put the name of it on the list, but never put the sound in the game. So if a sound deosn't work, don't assume that you did something wrong yet. Try other sounds & see if they work.

Hope you got it working! If you have any problems, just ask them here & I'll do my best to answer them. If you found out that you did do something wrong to the game, the worst you'd have to do is reinstall the game. If you have to do this, unistall the game(s) & go back to the game directories & delete them. Now reistall & every thing should be as it was.

Edited by user Saturday, March 29, 2008 8:41:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor