Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline haggis  
#21 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2021 2:17:52 AM(UTC)
haggis
Private

Originally Posted by: Annihilationzh Go to Quoted Post
Quote:
Sadly world builder isn't working for me due to my modding :/ the game launches fine but apparently the world builder is pickier about syntax.

I am horrified that you're not fixing those errors.

I fixed most of them, but these 2 remain (World Builder can't find them):

Weapon FirestormSmallCreationWeapon

WeaponTemplate FirestormSmallCreationWeapon

Pretty sure that weapon exists? I copied it from inferno cannon to a new weapon I made, is it because my new weapon is at the top of the file?

Also I've no idea what to do with the World Builder once I'm in. It seems like a tool for making maps?
Offline Annihilationzh  
#22 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2021 4:19:32 AM(UTC)
Annihilationzh
General
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 475 time(s) in 331 post(s)
Quote:
fixed most of them, but these 2 remain (World Builder can't find them):

Weapon FirestormSmallCreationWeapon

WeaponTemplate FirestormSmallCreationWeapon

I have seen that before but I can't remember what causes it. I'm thinking it's an error near the weapon or in the code of the unit, rather than the actual weapon.

You do need to be careful with anything world builder detects. Every error can make the game unstable.

This tool can help:
https://contra.cncguild..../oldsite/Eng/checker.php

If you give me the results of a scan by this tool, I should be able to tell you what's wrong.

Quote:
Also I've no idea what to do with the World Builder once I'm in. It seems like a tool for making maps?

It is and that makes it great for testing mods. It's error checker is also gold.
If you need help, post in the forum. You'll get help a lot faster than if you send me a PM.

I reject all buddy requests. I don't think 'buddy' needs to be made official. It's not like you're marrying me.
thanks 1 user thanked Annihilationzh for this useful post.
haggis on 1/10/2021(UTC)
Offline haggis  
#23 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2021 9:11:24 PM(UTC)
haggis
Private

If you give me the results of a scan by this tool, I should be able to tell you what's wrong.

That's a lot of warnings, not sure if it's because my INI folders only has the INIs I actually modified.

Quote:
It is and that makes it great for testing mods. It's error checker is also gold.

Does it only output maps? Do I make a map with objects in it, then load it up in-game like a save file?
File Attachment(s):
errorlog_ini.txt (1,914kb) downloaded 28 time(s).
Offline Annihilationzh  
#24 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2021 3:32:10 AM(UTC)
Annihilationzh
General
United Kingdom

I'm laughing my head off at that result.

See the top of the error log. It only detected and scanned 15 ini files and 4 upgrades. There are 87 upgrades and 135 ini files in the base game. So the scan failed. It needs to scan all the ini files or it will detect all the missing things.

I'd understand if it detected 0 upgrades - that would mean it couldn't find upgrade.ini - but it found 4? lol? I'm guessing that you have a syntax error between upgrades 4 & 5 in upgrade.ini.

Quote:
That's a lot of warnings, not sure if it's because my INI folders only has the INIs I actually modified.

Most of the errors are because the error checker didn't find all the ini files. There are some minor errors in the base ini files though. Mostly stuff like death types not being covered.
If you need help, post in the forum. You'll get help a lot faster than if you send me a PM.

I reject all buddy requests. I don't think 'buddy' needs to be made official. It's not like you're marrying me.
Offline haggis  
#25 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2021 8:15:53 PM(UTC)
haggis
Private

I have 12 ini files in there, and upgrade.ini is not one of them :/
Offline Annihilationzh  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2021 4:01:11 AM(UTC)
Annihilationzh
General
United Kingdom

The scanner needs to scan all ini files or it won't work. Why do you only have 12? Did you delete some?

Offline haggis  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2021 1:40:18 AM(UTC)
haggis
Private

The scanner needs to scan all ini files or it won't work. Why do you only have 12? Did you delete some?

I only copied over the files I actually changed hehe... Is that not how I'm supposed to mod the game? (beside the obvious problem of the tool requiring all the files for the check)

Got some more questions in the meantime:

1. When I add ECM behavior to a unit, the unit keeps playing the shooting FX (with the muzzle fire, without actually shooting) in a loop. How do I fix this? (I have commented out the line where the ECM behavior stops when the main weapon shoots, not sure if that affects this)

2. Is it possible to add scatter to bullet weapons? I tried adding scatter to minigunner's anti-air weapon, it doesn't seem to do anything.

3. Is it possible to add pierce to gattlings? Or should I just add an AoE?

4. I added stealth to Overlord and would like it to lose it whenever it does anything. However, its gattling can shoot without breaking stealth, even though I have StealthForbiddenConditions = MOVING FIRING_PRIMARY ATTACKING RIDERS_ATTACKING

5. Is it possible to create a "support fire" link between units? I'm thinking of making arties have a second, longer range attack that requires a spotter (either infantry or a support vehicle). Would some kind of code from the Patriots work here? I looked at it but it seemed to require the same unit...

6. The Internet Center has a giant comment warning against changing its build limit of 1. Is it due to the satellite hack or to the hacker contain module? I'm thinking of adding other buildings/vehicles with hacker contain behavior, but only if it wouldn't give me random crashes.
Offline Annihilationzh  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2021 5:06:23 AM(UTC)
Annihilationzh
General
United Kingdom

Quote:
1. When I add ECM behavior to a unit, the unit keeps playing the shooting FX (with the muzzle fire, without actually shooting) in a loop. How do I fix this? (I have commented out the line where the ECM behavior stops when the main weapon shoots, not sure if that affects this)

So that's called WeaponMuzzleFlash in the draw module.

The simplest and quickest solution is to remove the muzzle flash entirely with HideSubObject.

However, It might stop doing that if you make the gun/cannon and muzzle flash the secondary weapon. I'm not sure.

Quote:
Is it possible to add scatter to bullet weapons? I tried adding scatter to minigunner's anti-air weapon, it doesn't seem to do anything.

Bullet weapons don't have AoE. So if you add scatter they'll miss 100% of the time. I can't remember at all if scatter does something different to air weapons.

Quote:
3. Is it possible to add pierce to gattlings? Or should I just add an AoE?

Pierce like going through the unit and damaging things behind? It's awkward in this game to create anything like that. You'd need a projectile weapon, and you'd have to disable collision so the projectile wouldn't just hit things, and the projectile would need it's own AoE weapon to do damage.

Quote:
4. I added stealth to Overlord and would like it to lose it whenever it does anything. However, its gattling can shoot without breaking stealth, even though I have StealthForbiddenConditions = MOVING FIRING_PRIMARY ATTACKING RIDERS_ATTACKING

You could have it reveal itself when the overlord's fake gattling gun fires. But that's about it. A seriously convoluted workaround might be able to do it.

Quote:
5. Is it possible to create a "support fire" link between units? I'm thinking of making arties have a second, longer range attack that requires a spotter (either infantry or a support vehicle). Would some kind of code from the Patriots work here? I looked at it but it seemed to require the same unit...

It's semi-feasible. You could experiment with drone spotting or the Avenger's designator.

The only way I can think of that might get the patriot method working would be to have the spotter and the artillery be the same unit. Like giving the spotter an upgrade into the artillery.

This is really pushing it, but the technical's variations might be able to make two different units identified as one.

Quote:
6. The Internet Center has a giant comment warning against changing its build limit of 1. Is it due to the satellite hack or to the hacker contain module? I'm thinking of adding other buildings/vehicles with hacker contain behavior, but only if it wouldn't give me random crashes.

It's the satellite.

I once converted the listening outpost into a hacker truck and the only bug was that the tank hunters would randomly decided not to shoot.

haggis on 1/13/2021(UTC)
Offline Adjiesman  
#29 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2021 9:37:02 AM(UTC)
Adjiesman
Private
Indonesia

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi, i'm new modder, I want to ask, I have finished modeling my tank, but when in the game, the tank that I made can not be clicked directly, how do I fix this?
Offline Annihilationzh  
#30 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2021 1:11:13 PM(UTC)
Annihilationzh
General
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Adjiesman Go to Quoted Post
Hi, i'm new modder, I want to ask, I have finished modeling my tank, but when in the game, the tank that I made can not be clicked directly, how do I fix this?

In code there's only one cause for that. The wrong kindofs. I can't help if it's a mistake in the model's design. I'm not that well versed in gmax.

Offline Adjiesman  
#31 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2021 1:12:00 PM(UTC)
Adjiesman
Private
Indonesia

Thanks for your responding, but I mean the problem is that the unit I made can be drag select but cannot be directly select, for example I have a dozer in the field, then I directly select the dozer but nothing happens, as soon as I drag select it can, I have try to fix the kindofs and the model, it's still the same.
Offline haggis  
#32 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2021 2:03:11 AM(UTC)
haggis
Private

A single question today:

Is it possible to force a weapon to only aim in the direction of a vehicle, without any Z-plane (up and down) delta?

I tried adding machine guns (well, cannons) to jets, and IRL they would only shoot where the jet's nose is pointing. But in game, the machine guns would shoot targets on the ground without the jet actually tipping its nose down (basically the reverse of a quad cannon shooting up).
Offline Annihilationzh  
#33 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2021 9:18:55 AM(UTC)
Annihilationzh
General
United Kingdom

Thanks for your responding, but I mean the problem is that the unit I made can be drag select but cannot be directly select, for example I have a dozer in the field, then I directly select the dozer but nothing happens, as soon as I drag select it can, I have try to fix the kindofs and the model, it's still the same.

Yeah I understood the first time. I can't help you to fix a model.

Originally Posted by: haggis Go to Quoted Post
A single question today:

Is it possible to force a weapon to only aim in the direction of a vehicle, without any Z-plane (up and down) delta?

I tried adding machine guns (well, cannons) to jets, and IRL they would only shoot where the jet's nose is pointing. But in game, the machine guns would shoot targets on the ground without the jet actually tipping its nose down (basically the reverse of a quad cannon shooting up).

The marauder tank has that feature. Min/MaxTargetPitch. I presume it should work on planes.

haggis on 1/16/2021(UTC)
Offline haggis  
#34 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2021 6:03:46 PM(UTC)
haggis
Private

The marauder tank has that feature. Min/MaxTargetPitch. I presume it should work on planes.

1. I believe this worked, however it introduced a new issue:

If the jets cannot shoot at a ground target with the machine gun due to pitch, it will not attempt to find a proper attack vector; instead it will just circle the target (since its machine gun clip isn't empty, it will not return to base by itself - I did put the clip reloads upon return to base on the machine gun weapon) and take AA fire. How do I fix this?

I have found this in the A10:

Quote:

Behavior = DeliverPayloadAIUpdate ModuleTag_07
End

However it's an AI and I think a unit can't have 2 AI packages?

EDIT test that behavior out, the game launches with it (alongside the jet's default AI), however it doesn't do what I think it does and completely kills the jet/airfield interaction (jets will refuse to land).

2. What does this line actually do?
ArmedRidersUpgradeMyWeaponSet = Yes

I've seen it in the Assault Troop Crawler, which is quite puzzling since it's more or less just a mobile bunker no? It already has PassengersAllowedToFire = Yes

3. Why does the helix get a WeaponsetUpgrade with Black Napalm? I'd get it if the Napalm Bomb was part of its Weaponset, but it's not. Is it old code I can replace? (I'd like to use its WeaponsetUpgrade behevior for something else)

Edited by user Saturday, January 16, 2021 7:35:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Annihilationzh  
#35 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2021 7:17:44 AM(UTC)
Annihilationzh
General
United Kingdom

Quote:
1. I believe this worked, however it introduced a new issue:

If the jets cannot shoot at a ground target with the machine gun due to pitch, it will not attempt to find a proper attack vector; instead it will just circle the target (since its machine gun clip isn't empty, it will not return to base by itself - I did put the clip reloads upon return to base on the machine gun weapon) and take AA fire. How do I fix this?

This has come up before with people wanting an A10 that lands at an airfield. We never found a way to get it to dive whilst attacking. You can do things like mimic the comanche or use an aurora's locomotor switch, but neither one really works well.

Quote:
However it's an AI and I think a unit can't have 2 AI packages?

That is correct. It won't crash but it won't work either.

Quote:
2. What does this line actually do?
ArmedRidersUpgradeMyWeaponSet = Yes

I've seen it in the Assault Troop Crawler, which is quite puzzling since it's more or less just a mobile bunker no? It already has PassengersAllowedToFire = Yes

When the crawler is empty it has no weapon. When it's occupied it has a dummy weapon. The dummy weapon is to fix targeting.

Quote:
3. Why does the helix get a WeaponsetUpgrade with Black Napalm? I'd get it if the Napalm Bomb was part of its Weaponset, but it's not. Is it old code I can replace? (I'd like to use its WeaponsetUpgrade behevior for something else)

I would remove it and see if anything changes. I'm pretty sure nothing will.

I'm thinking it was supposed to upgrade the napalm bomb in an earlier game version. In the current version the napalm bomb upgrades itself to black napalm. The helix has other obsolete code as well. Note the other WeaponsetUpgrade for the gattling cannon.

haggis on 1/18/2021(UTC)
Offline Adjiesman  
#36 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2021 9:08:36 AM(UTC)
Adjiesman
Private
Indonesia

Yeah I understood the first time. I can't help you to fix a model.

Never mind, after all i've fixed it. This time, i have another question. is it possible to make America jet B3 that can shoot a missile like the Tomahawk or SCUD Launcher?

Offline Annihilationzh  
#37 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2021 6:44:21 PM(UTC)
Annihilationzh
General
United Kingdom

Never mind, after all i've fixed it. This time, i have another question. is it possible to make America jet B3 that can shoot a missile like the Tomahawk or SCUD Launcher?

Yup. Are you having trouble implementing it?

Offline haggis  
#38 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2021 2:53:54 PM(UTC)
haggis
Private

This has come up before with people wanting an A10 that lands at an airfield. We never found a way to get it to dive whilst attacking. You can do things like mimic the comanche or use an aurora's locomotor switch, but neither one really works well.

I tried making the weapon anti-air only, but the jets still won't go back to base after emptying their missiles.

1. It is possible for jets to return to base by themselves when there's nothing to shoot at in the skies with the (AA only) machine gun and empty missiles clip?

2. I tried adding the angry mob Molotov cocktails to Redguards. They sorta work (the inf makes a weird twitch when they throw it however), but they don't work at all on Minigunners (it has lower range than their gun but even at short range they won't throw them). Any ideas how to fix?

3. Is it possible to boost the range of a container? I think just garrisoning units comes with a 25% range boost, but I'd like choppers to have a bigger boost for their garrisoned units than Overlords (since projectiles should have more range from height).

4. I made INFA's helix bunker inherent to the helix; that part works fine, what doesn't is the draw module (I simply added the bunker's draw module to the helix). The bunker bits get drawn, but when the helix is tilted (it tilts as much as 45 degrees when going full speed), the bunker bits stay parallel to the ground.

5. Is there a smarter way to combine 2 buildings than copying all the code into the other? E.g. If I want to make a Gattling Gun Bunker, can I just use OCLs?
Offline Annihilationzh  
#39 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2021 7:54:35 PM(UTC)
Annihilationzh
General
United Kingdom

Quote:
1. It is possible for jets to return to base by themselves when there's nothing to shoot at in the skies with the (AA only) machine gun and empty missiles clip?

Not directly. It will stay in the air as long as it has any ammo of any kind. Planes are very limited in what you can do with their weapons without getting issues like this. Even bike logic doesn't work on them.

Quote:
2. I tried adding the angry mob Molotov cocktails to Redguards. They sorta work (the inf makes a weird twitch when they throw it however), but they don't work at all on Minigunners (it has lower range than their gun but even at short range they won't throw them). Any ideas how to fix?

See the comanche. They'll only use their primary weapon by default. You have to tell them when to use others. I'm actually surprised the red guard works.

Quote:
3. Is it possible to boost the range of a container? I think just garrisoning units comes with a 25% range boost, but I'd like choppers to have a bigger boost for their garrisoned units than Overlords (since projectiles should have more range from height).

I'm pretty sure that's a no.

Quote:
4. I made INFA's helix bunker inherent to the helix; that part works fine, what doesn't is the draw module (I simply added the bunker's draw module to the helix). The bunker bits get drawn, but when the helix is tilted (it tilts as much as 45 degrees when going full speed), the bunker bits stay parallel to the ground.

Well, now you know why I never suggested doing that with the overlord lol. The simplest solution is to just make a three-in-one addon. I've never bothered trying to fix it any other way.

Quote:
5. Is there a smarter way to combine 2 buildings than copying all the code into the other? E.g. If I want to make a Gattling Gun Bunker, can I just use OCLs?

Depends on how you do the OCL. You can put an overlord addon on practically anything. With a normal OCL you would end up with two seperate buildings overlapping each other.

Offline haggis  
#40 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2021 9:04:45 PM(UTC)
haggis
Private

Not directly. It will stay in the air as long as it has any ammo of any kind. Planes are very limited in what you can do with their weapons without getting issues like this. Even bike logic doesn't work on them.

I got it to "work" by removing the "return to base" behavior from the machine gun; now the jets will return by themselves after firing the missiles, even if they didn't fire the machine gun at all. I'll just put a big reload time on it (big enough that it won't have reloaded before returning to base) so that it effectively can only have 1 clip fired per sortie.

Quote:
See the comanche. They'll only use their primary weapon by default. You have to tell them when to use others. I'm actually surprised the red guard works.

I... don't quite get it. Don't most units use all their weapons? What's special about the Comanche/Minigunner/Redguard?

I added these lines to the Minigunner's AI and it works now:

Quote:
; this is a bit of a trick... normally, units cannot move-and-fire at
; the same time. we need the comanche to be able to. so we give it
; a "turret" (invisible) and put the two main weapons on it, but with
; no turn rate. voila!
Turret
TurretTurnRate = 0 ; this "turret" does not turn
TurretPitchRate = 0 ; nor does it pitch
ControlledWeaponSlots = TERTIARY
End

Redguards still work out of the box, somehow. I tested it both with the player and an AI faction controlling the Redguards.

Also, I added a service rifle to the Supply Truck (those dudes work in the frontline!) and the Dozer... I don't know why, but somehow it killed the Supply Truck's KatyushaWeapon that I added earlier. I can still make it fire with ctrl + left click for attack ground, but the units will not fire the weapon:

1. if I target an actual enemy (both through clicking and through control clicking);

2. by themselves, ever

Also, unlike the Dozer (who just sits there and attacks with what's basically an infantry rifle just like an infantry unit would), it will shoot 1 shot of its rifle (it has a clip of 3) and immediately turn away. So even that part of the weapon does not work.

I have added the "CAN_ATTACK" kindof to it, doesn't change anything (also, the KatyushaWeapon worked fine before without this).

Is this related to what you said about the Comanche? Why (tanks work fine when I give them 3 weapons)? How do I fix this? They already have a turret behavior in their AI.

EDIT: I think this part may partly be due to attack range... the rocket barrage has a minimum range of 100, and the rifle has a maximum range of 100. If I just disable the rifle weapon, the rocket barrage works fine. Does this also mean I can't add a small caliber secondary weapon to artillery pieces for self defense?

Edited by user Tuesday, January 19, 2021 12:11:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified