Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline incia  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2007 5:15:08 AM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

On the old C&C games you always had lots of options on Skirmish and online games.

Like:
Short game [on] [off]
MCV Re-packs [on] [off]
Shroud [on] [off]
Crates [on] [off]
Build of Ally Construction yard [on] [off]
Mutant lifeforms [on] [off]
And so on.

Now on Tiberium Wars there are only:
Crates [on] [off]

And instead of adding options to toggle on or off they instead made some of them permanent, why?

After the new patch these are what follows:
Crates [on] [off] (Option to switch On or Off)

Short game [on]
MCV Re-packs [on]
Shroud [on]
Build of Ally Construction yard [on]
Mutant lifeforms [off]

Why can't they just add options to either switch them on or off?
I actually hate to have the Short Game option always ON.
On the old games I never had that option ON, or MCV re-packs.

Actually I had all of those the other way around, like this:
Short game [off]
MCV Re-packs [off]
Shroud [off]
Build of Ally Construction yard [off]
Mutant lifeforms [on]

Is this really too hard for them to do, I really don't get it?
Sponsor
Offline randomperson  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2007 6:37:39 AM(UTC)
randomperson
Colonel

it would be nice to not have shroud for once like in RA2 and I would like he option but I supose it is effort for them...
UserPostedImage
Offline incia  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 3, 2007 7:29:55 AM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

randomperson wrote:

it would be nice to not have shroud for once like in RA2 and I would like he option but I supose it is effort for them...

Yeah, I mean EA did want a Fast & fluid game and so on.
But still, they could have added the options for SKirmish atleast, if you think it's fun to screw around on Skirmish and so on, why not let the people do it if they want to?

I mean now with the "Short Game" option always ON, the selling of structures is pointless.

Remember in TS or RA games when the enemy was near victory? And then you sold all your buildings to gain your last hope of victory (or atleast a little more hope), and you then had about 20 infantry units and some last tanks, marching through the map to attack the enemy base with everything you have.

Short Game means; after your structures are destroyed you are dead. Even if you had 10 Tripods inside the enemy base, they just magically die.

So having NOT a Short Game would make you able to sell your last remining structures and attack (harm) the enemy with your last strength.

I hope someone atleast MODs in this option, I sure would download that MOD.

Some months ago I played RA 2 Yuri's Revenge. It's fun to watch, when you are near victory, and the AI sells his whole base and attacks you with his last 20-30 Conscripts ^__^

In TW this would possible be the only time in game you even had the chance to see the Militant Squads etc. Would be fun to see at the end of each game where 20 Militant Squads try to harm you for the last time.
Offline randomperson  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2007 12:29:18 PM(UTC)
randomperson
Colonel

It was funny in RA2 when you had short game on and the ai commits suicide because you have destroyed his main structures.

Edited by user Thursday, June 7, 2007 12:29:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline incia  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2007 1:24:50 PM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

Yeah, well now online everyone commits suicide everytime they are almost dead. Because when they sell their last structures they lose, all the infantries you just gained from selling will also die. Which is kind of bad.
Offline AluXes  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2007 10:50:50 PM(UTC)
AluXes
Major

dont think those last infantry units would do any difference in the game after all...

And what if you have 30 predator tanks, but your MCV and warfactory is dead, so you cant build any units, and the enemy has one last venom flying around the map... then you would loose just because he didnt die when you destroyed his whole base...
Offline incia  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2007 4:52:32 AM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

AluXes wrote:

dont think those last infantry units would do any difference in the game after all...

And what if you have 30 predator tanks, but your MCV and warfactory is dead, so you cant build any units, and the enemy has one last venom flying around the map... then you would loose just because he didnt die when you destroyed his whole base...

Well on YR it always made a difference, also in TD, and TS... and all RA games, well actually it made a difference in all Westwood games.
Not sure about Generals though, didn't play that so much.
Offline CommieDog  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2007 4:48:34 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 130 post(s)
I don't think that having the victorious player go on a wild goose chase for that last Stealth Tank would be very fun. I remember having to do the same thing in RA2, searching the seas for submarines, which could take a while if the player kept moving them away from your naval units.
UserPostedImage
CommieDog: Because someone has to do your dirty work for you
Offline incia  
#9 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2007 5:05:22 PM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

CommieDog wrote:

I don't think that having the victorious player go on a wild goose chase for that last Stealth Tank would be very fun. I remember having to do the same thing in RA2, searching the seas for submarines, which could take a while if the player kept moving them away from your naval units.

I agree.

But as the game developing have been more high-tech lately they could make it in a better and more smooth way.

Like maybe adding a "retreat" feature. Which automatically sells all your buildings, and then you would have something like 5-10 mins to attack, instead of instantly blowing up all your units when your buildings get destroyed.

For example:

The enemy attacks you with his last strength and manages to destroy your key buildings.
You sell all your buildings to gain extra cash and infantries.
You get 5 last minutes to do a change.
Rush the enemy base with your last forces and hope for doing some good damage.
You maybe win and maybe you don't.

Anyways here's the last good point:
Let say your infantry attack fails.
You would still have stealthed Nod harvesters everywhere and Outposts etc.
But after the 5 min, ONLY THEN all your units and buildings blows up.

And if you had one last stealth tank, why should you keep him away? I bet you would try to attack with it one last time.
And C&C 3 don't have any Submarines :) luckily.
Offline AluXes  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:46:20 AM(UTC)
AluXes
Major

Quote:
Like maybe adding a "retreat" feature. Which automatically sells all your buildings, and then you would have something like 5-10 mins to attack, instead of instantly blowing up all your units when your buildings get destroyed.
Quote:

That was actually a great idea!
Offline randomperson  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 2:48:24 AM(UTC)
randomperson
Colonel

post on offical forum?
UserPostedImage
Offline incia  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:16:06 AM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

randomperson wrote:

post on offical forum?

Unfortunately without Apocs presence the official forumses are swarming with noobies and hatred. Posting this there right now would be kind of wasted time :/
Offline randomperson  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:53:38 AM(UTC)
randomperson
Colonel

why dose everything hige on apoc? there are other moderaters out their just their leader in off
UserPostedImage
Offline incia  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:40:06 AM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

randomperson wrote:

why dose everything hige on apoc? there are other moderaters out their just their leader in off

I have been on the forumses 24/7, the page is open all the time. Especially during the nights there are NO moderators whatsoever... spam threads everywhere.

And the Moderators only lock/delete some topics, they don't answer to your questions, so you would get zero feedback from the Devs.
Offline AluXes  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:57:50 AM(UTC)
AluXes
Major

A same... EA misses some really good ideas because of theyr sucking game support..
Offline randomperson  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:08:35 PM(UTC)
randomperson
Colonel

you would think that they would have people in different time zones looking after the forums to stop this kind of thing
UserPostedImage
Offline TASER  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:53:04 AM(UTC)
TASER
Major

Incia wrote:

randomperson wrote:

Yeah, I mean EA did want a Fast & fluid game and so on.
But still, they could have added the options for SKirmish atleast, if you think it's fun to screw around on Skirmish and so on, why not let the people do it if they want to?

I mean now with the "Short Game" option always ON, the selling of structures is pointless.

Remember in TS or RA games when the enemy was near victory? And then you sold all your buildings to gain your last hope of victory (or atleast a little more hope), and you then had about 20 infantry units and some last tanks, marching through the map to attack the enemy base with everything you have.

Short Game means; after your structures are destroyed you are dead. Even if you had 10 Tripods inside the enemy base, they just magically die.

So having NOT a Short Game would make you able to sell your last remining structures and attack (harm) the enemy with your last strength.

I hope someone atleast MODs in this option, I sure would download that MOD.

Some months ago I played RA 2 Yuri's Revenge. It's fun to watch, when you are near victory, and the AI sells his whole base and attacks you with his last 20-30 Conscripts ^__^

In TW this would possible be the only time in game you even had the chance to see the Militant Squads etc. Would be fun to see at the end of each game where 20 Militant Squads try to harm you for the last time.

A surrender animation would be nice.......
"Its said that the true victors of war are those who achieved what they want, Diego Navarro had left Aurelia's capital in defeat, but his goal in increasing arms exports had been achieved"
Offline eyvind  
#18 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2007 5:14:23 PM(UTC)
eyvind
Private

Yeah, that retreat idea is a good one, but it would be a bit unsubstantial if it was so simple. A retreat denotes some sort of flight from the battle, not a last-ditch effort to win the battle. With some more, in themselves simple, features a "retreat" feature could work very well. For example, there should perhaps be some way for units to leave the map perhaps in evac vehicles or simply crossing the map border. With this addition (which would complicate much of the rest of the gameplay extensively and in all likelihood necessitate further features) a last-ditch attempt would be legitimized in the form of either part of your army covering the rest of the units' retreat or there not being any way to retreat (realized only after the retreat order was given, not unlikely) and throwing everything at the enemy. This would make endgames more open, which nearly always makes RTS games more interesting since endgames are more often than not Cold Wars with sudden apocalyptic results, and would allow for a more flexible battle result and debrief.

About the "Short Game" feature, the RA2 implementation of "Long Games", as others here mentioned, is not so good and keeping the Short Game flag enabled by default (perhaps even locked as such) is reasonable. On the other hand, a more appropriate, and preferably more abstract, implementation would be appreciated.

With RTS games, the more options the better, the ultimate RTS game would be one where nothing is constant and no game options are concrete. A game where the player can customize units, research options, and so on is in the right direction. The game that goes the furthest towards this form of ideal RTS games that I know of is World War III: Black Gold where you can customize units to some degree (decide what sort of weaponry, sensors, air filters, etc. a vehicle can have for example).

The way things have been going with CnC, I'm sure their games will continue to not dissapoint gamers and in most cases far surpass expectations and come forth with unexpected twists to the series. They have in the past and they will again. For all we know they might hop onto MMORPG bandwagon with a CnC based MMORPG, I doubt they will, but I also doubt people were expecting CnC Renegade.

My bottom line about the conditions for winning an RTS game: it should be as open and realistic as reasonably possible. One stealth tank can't take out a full enemy base, but 50 Mammoth tanks very well might. I'm sure RTS game devs will come up with a very satisfactory solution.
"Trust everyone, just don't trust the devil inside them."
Offline Parasol Kirby  
#19 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2007 8:35:07 AM(UTC)
Parasol Kirby
Captain

Although I seriously doubt those 50 mammoth tanks would just watch their base get destroyed...Yes, having the Short Game being toggle-able would be nice, but I've never seen much reason to have it on. EDIT: Whoops! So sorry about the bump! I just noticed how old this topic was. I linked here from the Online Users page because someone else was reading it, so I didn't notice this thread's age.

Edited by user Monday, August 20, 2007 8:44:05 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline incia  
#20 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2007 2:30:50 PM(UTC)
incia
Commander in Chief

Parasol Kirby wrote:

Although I seriously doubt those 50 mammoth tanks would just watch their base get destroyed...Yes, having the Short Game being toggle-able would be nice, but I've never seen much reason to have it on. EDIT: Whoops! So sorry about the bump! I just noticed how old this topic was. I linked here from the Online Users page because someone else was reading it, so I didn't notice this thread's age.

No worries.

Actually glad you bumped this... because if you've seen the big Scrin mirror match by now you will realize that the losing team have a huge army in the enemies base, while the almost dead player uses the MM/MS tactic. So the Mothership blows up the enemies whole base and he wins.
But the losing player had a HUGE army in the enemies base, and the only units the other player had left was 1 Mastermind and 1 Mothership.
So if you wouldn't win directly when your base blows up, the other player in this game would have won for sure. But instead his huge Tripod/Seeker army magically died when his base were blown up.