Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Me Myself and Pi  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2007 9:13:11 AM(UTC)
Me Myself and Pi
Colonel

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I've found a topic that talk about the "Preview Sound" button, but it didn't say how to get it working. When you click on the button, the world builder looks for the sound clips outside the BIG file, so if you just extract them, it works! I've made instructions on how to do this for both Generals & Zero Hour. I oringally posted it as cncmaps.net.

Today, I figured out how to get the "Preview Sound" button working in the "Play a speech file", "Play sound affect at waypoint", & "Play sound affect." actions. It's very easy & can be done for both Generals & Zero Hour. Please note, that following the Command & Conquer Generals Instructions, will add 479.6 MB to your computer, for a time. After words you can bring your memory space back up to it's original number. For Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour, it's 800 MB. What this does is makes coppies of the sound files, but you can delete the files in the BIG file if you want. Just follow these steps:

Command & Conquer Generals Instructions:
1) First you need the FinalBIG program. Go to cncmaps.com & click on "CnC Utilities & Misc." to download it.
2) Now go to the game directory. ("C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals" Unless you specified a diffent loction for it while installing.)
3) Open up the "SpeechEnglish.big" file in FinalBIG.
4) Click on the "Edit" menu & click on "Extract all"
5) In the "Browse for folder" window, select the game directory folder. (To do this, click on the "+" to the left of "Local Disc C:", "Program Files", & Then "EA Games". Unless you specified a different location for the game directory, as I said above.)
6) Now select (Don't open) "Command and Conquer Generals" & click on "OK". (On my computer, it took about a minute & a half to complete the extraction.)
7) That's it! The speech files should work now! But other sound clips are more like sound affects, like the "CameraFXIn" Those & other sound clips like it have been placed with the speech files for some reason. They won't work until you repeat the steps above only with the "Speech.big". Now almost all the files will start working! The names of some of the clips are in the sound clip list, but I guess at the last minute, EA disited not use them, so the deleted the sound clips, but not the names. So some of them won't work, probably not even in the game.
8) The sound effect files are split up into two files, one with the voices & the other with the sounds. You'll need to repeat the steps above extracting these two just as you did with the "SpeechEnglish.big". They're called "AudioEnglish.big" & "Audio.big" So repeat the steps above twice, extracting both the "AudioEnglish.big" & "Audio.big" instead of the "SpeechEnglish.big".
9) Now the sound affects will work!
10) Now go test random sound affect to see if you did everything right. Once you sure you got them all, you can go back to the directory & delete the 4 BIG files you extracted. Now that 479.6 MB will be gone! & the sound button will be working!

Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour instrustions:
1) First you need the FinalBIG program. Go to cncmaps.com & click on "CnC Utilities & Misc." to download it.
2) Now go to the game directory. ("C:\Program Files\EA Games\Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour" Unless you specified a diffent loction for it while installing.)
3) Open up the "SpeechEnglishZH.big" file in FinalBIG.
4) Click on the "Edit" menu & click on "Extract all"
5) In the "Browse for folder" window, select the game directory folder. (To do this, click on the "+" to the left of "Local Disc C:", "Program Files", & then "EA Games". Unless you specified a different location for the game directory, as I said above.)
6) Now select (Don't open) "Command & Conquer Generals Zero Hour" & click on "OK". (On my computer, it took about a minute & a half to complete the extraction.)
7) But other sound clips are more like sound affects, like the "CameraFXIn" Those & other sound clips like it have been placed with the speech files for some reason. They won't work until you repeat the steps above only with the "SpeechZH.big". Zero Hour uses the some of these files that are in Generals. Those files won't work until you repeat the steps above only with the "Speech.big" & "SpeechEnglish.big" files located in the Generals directory. Now almost all the files will start working! The names of some of the clips are in the sound clip list, but I guess at the last minute, EA disited not use them, so the deleted the sound clips, but not the names. So some of them won't work, probably not even in the game.
8) The sound effect files are split up into two files, one with the voices & the other with the sounds. But as I said before, Zero Hour uses a lot of the the sound effects used in Generals. So you'll need to extract the two files for Generals two. You'll need to repeat the steps above extracting these all four of these files just as you did with the "SpeechEnglish.big". The two files in the Generals directory are called "AudioEnglish.big" & "Audio.big". In the Zero Hour directory, they're called "AudioEnglishZH.big", & "AudioZH.big". So repeat the steps above four more times, extracting the "AudioEnglish.big". "Audio.big", "AudioEnglishZH.big", & "AudioZH.big" instead of the "SpeechEnglish.big". Extract the Generals sounds first. So that when you extract the Zero Hour sounds after, it'll overlap any sounds that were changed when Zero Hour was made. If you do the Zero Hour sounds first, you'll here a ranger machine gun sound the way it does in Generals. I'm sure there are many more sounds that'll sound different too.
9) That's should to it! Now the sound effects will work!
10) Now go test random sound affect to see if you did everything right. Once you're sure you got them all, you can go back to the directory & delete the 8 BIG files you extracted. Now that 800 MB will be gone! & the sound button will be working! But note, if you delete the files in Generals, the sound affects & speech files won't work any more. But you can always reinstall the game to get them back.

If you suspected that you extracted the files in the wrong place, then open up the search program. For windows XP, you should see it after clicking on the start button on your dext top. In the search, type in "Data" At least two "Data"s will come up, one in the Generals directory & the other in the Zero Hour directory. If you find more, then check the folders in side it & see if you come across the sound files. Once you know you've found the right folder, delete it & start over with the extraction of those files. But be sure not to delete another folder called "Data" that has nothing to do with C&C that might have been created by you another user. The other user might get pretty mad.

Now, this won't get all the sounds working (as I said before). Some of them I guess EA Games wanted to put it, so they put the name of it on the list, but never put the sound in the game. So if a sound deosn't work, don't assume that you did something wrong yet. Try other sounds & see if they work.

I discovered this by modifing Zero Hour so that I could use the Generals speech files in the my maps. I put them into the "Data\Audio\Speech\English", then in the world builder, I discovered that those speech files worked throught the "Preview Sound" button! So I did the same for the Zero Hour speech files & sound affects. So the world builder is looking for the sound files in that folder, not in the .big file. That's why it never worked before.

Hope you got it working! If you have any problems, just ask them here & I'll do my best to answer them. If you found out that you did do something wrong to the game, the worst you'd have to do is reinstall the game. If you have to do this, unistall the game(s) & go back to the game directories & delete them. Now reistall & every thing should be as it was.

Edited by moderator Sunday, January 5, 2014 7:06:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 8 users thanked Me Myself and Pi for this useful post.
iansofian on 6/12/2014(UTC), zero hour mad map maker on 11/14/2016(UTC), LordWizz on 2/23/2017(UTC), AdrianeMapMaker on 7/3/2017(UTC), Unknown Editor on 6/10/2018(UTC), DeraNoit2105 on 8/4/2019(UTC), o Wickedwolf O on 7/5/2020(UTC), Commander Newgate on 6/15/2023(UTC)
Sponsor