Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline 420_DankMeister  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2016 11:53:15 AM(UTC)
420_DankMeister
Private

hi, I am relatively new to world builder and scripting.
I am trying to make a test skirmish map with a few scripts that I have written, I am seeing that none of my scripts work in the game.

*some very important information: I have Peace Mission Mod installed, not vanilla zero hour. I know this is not a good idea to have mods installed while learning to script. I think this might be the cause of my problems. I also have different factions and units*

I wrote a test script, which is this:

***IF***
'AmericanPowerplant' has been built by Player '<This Player>'
***THEN***
Set Player '<This Player>''s money to $420

I put it into the SkirmishAmerica Folder, and I tested it playing as America faction and it did not work. so I tried the simplest script (that I saw on a scripting tutorial):

***IF***
True.
***THEN***
Set timer 'Test Timer' to expire in 60.00 seconds

I put this into Neutral (I dont think it matter where this script goes), tested it, and no timer started at the start of the game.
so I want to know: I writing the scripts wrong? Do scripts generally not work in skirmish? Is there something I have to do first? Does world builder have problems with mods?

Some more info: Peace Mission mod skirmish does not have regular 'Easy, Medium, Hard' AI difficulties, but rather 'Odinary Commander, Airforce Commander, ground commander' difficulties.
I see in Script Properties, you can select which difficulty the script will be active on. Maybe the scripts aren't active because of these (unless the ordinary ground and air commanders are just different names for easy medium and hard that the devs of PM added.

Thank you for your time

Sponsor
Offline zero hour mad map maker  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2016 12:49:31 PM(UTC)
zero hour mad map maker
Colonel
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
Canada

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Well I do not know if mods do have an effect on scripting because I never had any mods installed. I would think they shouldn't, but I'm not sure. We need someone to verify this. Also scripting in Skirmish should work just fine ;)
Ready for Anything! --- C&C Labs Staff , Maps Staff , Moderator
Offline 420_DankMeister  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2016 1:10:34 PM(UTC)
420_DankMeister
Private

I actually found some of my problems.It turns out it is not my mods, it is just that I am clueless about scripting. kind of feel like an idiot now, but whatever. I want to see if I can make a capture-the-flag game
Offline zero hour mad map maker  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2016 1:49:39 PM(UTC)
zero hour mad map maker
Colonel
Canada

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Ah, well as long as you have the problem fixed then hooray! Wow, making a capture-the-flag game is very ambitious and is probably not a good start for new scripters. Start out simple first =)
Ready for Anything! --- C&C Labs Staff , Maps Staff , Moderator
Offline klingondragon  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2016 2:47:37 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom
Location: Laniakea; Virgo Supercluster; Local Sheet; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion–Cygnus Arm; Gould Belt; Local Bubble; Local Interstellar Cloud; Sol System; Sol III; Europe; United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland; Great Britain; England; Essex

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
if that timer script did run you wouldn't actually see it in game.
Offline 420_DankMeister  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2016 3:37:03 PM(UTC)
420_DankMeister
Private

Originally Posted by: Zero Hour Mad Map Maker Go to Quoted Post
Ah, well as long as you have the problem fixed then hooray! Wow, making a capture-the-flag game is very ambitious and is probably not a good start for new scripters. Start out simple first =)

I've actually started the prototype map. So far, the AI go around the map and capture beacons, and I made a script that let's you win if you capture 3 beacons. so that's going pretty well. Next, I want to add teams that will counter attack when you capture a flag... so i have to learn how to do that now. but anyway, thanks for the advice =)

User is suspended until 1/15/2030 2:32:10 AM(UTC) marviniwatkins789  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 13, 2021 5:29:05 AM(UTC)
marviniwatkins789
Private

Great approach! So I can expect your AI to be the batterground huh!.. Well what you're doing is really commendable, the only thing I want to advise you is that your presentation. Get the services of https://isaccurate.com/s...ish-translation-services they will write for you. Their maketing content is very best and at lower prices.They write all types of articles such as press release, detailed write ups, everything.