Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Deinon  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:48:04 PM(UTC)
Deinon
Captain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm putting together a rather unconventional campaign mod. The team I'm designing is based on the Kurdish YPG in Syria, placing the player in control of them fighting against ISIS. This team's structures will consist wholly of tents which have very low health, but can be rapidly packed and unpacked, transforming the structure into an unarmed infantryman with a large backpack, or a heavily-laden truck. Highly mobile. Vehicles are commandeered rather than constructed, with armored units being rare for both sides. Coalition air strikes can be vectored in by a specialized infantry unit evolved from a sniper and trained to use a laser designator.

This team is not designed to be pitted against the three traditional Generals teams. Male and female civilians are conscripted (commanded to enter a tent from which they emerge as riflemen), and can then be sent to other structures for retraining in more advanced roles (sniper, RPG, heavy MG capable of suppressing fire from garrisoned buildings etc) or assigned to a makeshift firing range which allows slow but free advancement in veterancy. Abilities such as seeing stealth would be unlocked for elite veterancy, crucial for facing an enemy whose soldiers disguise themselves as civilians. There may be modeling to do for their opposition as well, and one mission in particular features an SAS squad working in coordination with YPG to locate and capture a high-value target (Little Bird attack helicopters would make a fantastic addition to this mission's climax). I was just wondering if there's anyone with GMax experience who would be interested in helping out. Thinking a lot of the structures will bear resemblance to the Syrian superweapon structure from the "A Global Crisis" mod.Tents

Edited by user Tuesday, May 24, 2016 8:27:03 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Offline klingondragon  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 5, 2016 5:23:36 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
United Kingdom
Location: Laniakea; Virgo Supercluster; Local Sheet; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion–Cygnus Arm; Gould Belt; Local Bubble; Local Interstellar Cloud; Sol System; Sol III; Europe; United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland; Great Britain; England; Essex

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
I can help with anything except the modelling. Your ideas intrigue me and almost all seem to me to be implementable. I'm not sure about being able to command civilians (it should be possible on a mission map but I doubt it would ever work in skirmish mode (unless you build the civilians yourself)).
Offline Deinon  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 4:05:34 PM(UTC)
Deinon
Captain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: klingondragon Go to Quoted Post
I can help with anything except the modelling. Your ideas intrigue me and almost all seem to me to be implementable. I'm not sure about being able to command civilians (it should be possible on a mission map but I doubt it would ever work in skirmish mode (unless you build the civilians yourself)).
Glad to have your help. Several mission maps are well underway. :)

Like I said, this team is never meant to be used in Skirmish mode (unless specific maps were made for it). This is purely a campaign mod. And it should go without saying that although unique units would need to be designed for their opposition, I have no interest whatsoever in making a campaign putting the player in ISIS' shoes.

Edited by user Saturday, June 11, 2016 4:06:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline klingondragon  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 5:31:24 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom
Location: Laniakea; Virgo Supercluster; Local Sheet; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion–Cygnus Arm; Gould Belt; Local Bubble; Local Interstellar Cloud; Sol System; Sol III; Europe; United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland; Great Britain; England; Essex

I once made a 2 player mission map where one player was the USA and the other was the GLA (except they weren't) and you had to try and stop (or ensure) 9/11. Although I don't condone ISIS' ideology or methodology, it wouldn't be hard to make mission about their attacks in Europe as you could just use existing GLA units. In some ways it's easier to make a mission where you play as ISIS than where you fight against them.
Offline acidbrain  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 10:52:29 PM(UTC)
acidbrain
General

Was thanked: 574 time(s) in 364 post(s)
If One does some research One will soon find out that ISIS is financed by the same people who finance the opposition...
Panem et kirkinses
Offline klingondragon  
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2016 4:12:15 AM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom

If you look at the history of civilisation, you will see that the areas that ISIS has effective control over and the ones they are fighting to control were once part of a caliphate (might have spelt that wrong) that covered a considerable amount of northern Africa and the middle east (I've forgotten the name of it but this was hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago). So it's not hard to see why they're fighting to make a new caliphate. What I don't understand is why they conduct terror attacks in Europe (the only reason I can think of would be that they want to get back at European countries for arbitrarily dividing up land and creating new countries (although that's more of a tribal African problem)).

Anyway we've got off topic. We're supposed to be talking about making a campaign mod rather than ISIS' ideology.