For those of you who are still having problems with Generals Online, EA is working on a version 1.3 patch. They're hoping to get it out this week. Here's the main part of Harvard's post on the Official Forums:
1. Fix the remaining connectivity issues with firewalls/routers, etc. We got most of them last time but we at least need to provide a reliable workaround for players and at best will provide a patch to fix all the problems. (PS...I'm referring to players entering games and immediately getting the disconnect screen...sometimes games don't load for all players, etc)
2. Fix QuickMatch as its not reliable at present.
3. Fix the serious error problem.
4. Make clicking on player names in the player list easier.
5. Add a refresh button in the Custom Match lobby.
6. Fix the "lost connection to Generals Online" issue.
7. Make the "add a buddy" process much clearer.
8. Fix the innaccurate number of players listed per game in the Custom Match lobby game list.
9. Fix the dupped games in the Custom Match lobby game list.
10. Misc other smaller issues.
If you want to read the full message, visit this thread here. Looks like all of these Generals online connectivity issues will finally be fixed soon.