Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline redmeanalert  
#21 Posted : Sunday, May 31, 2009 9:05:59 PM(UTC)
redmeanalert
Private

i followed this to the letter almost and it didnt work.. i went and bought The First Decade to fix it.. still didnt work
all the other games in the pack work fine, infact thanks to TFD i can play Red Alert 1 lol

but i still have the message for RA2 and YR, please help, i cant find a single thing that can help me

im useing vista i got the message befor i even had TFD and tryed fixing it (with no luck) and the i keep finding all messages leading to be with TFD being installed so i got it Irked and tryed the tips of fixing it, no luck
Offline MicScoTho  
#22 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 7:30:08 AM(UTC)
MicScoTho
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 58 post(s)
For me, to get Red Alert 2 with The First Decade to run on Windows Vista, I have to:
1) Do the steps outlined in the original post
2) Right click on the RA2 short-cut and manually select "Run as administrator" every time I go to run the game. If I do not do this, the game does not appear to run as Administrator despite configuring RA2.exe/RA2MD.exe to do so.

Hope that helps.
MicScoTho - Founder
Offline redmeanalert  
#23 Posted : Monday, June 1, 2009 8:35:22 PM(UTC)
redmeanalert
Private

well i got red alert 2 to work but yuri's revenge still doesnt work for me
Offline Dracula456  
#24 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2009 10:28:44 PM(UTC)
Dracula456
Private

another way if your laptop/computer is windows vista

select ra2.exe at the program files right click and select run as administrator

hope that i can help^^
Offline andy v001  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:20:47 PM(UTC)
andy v001
Private

Hey guys i joined just to say this:

took me ages to get both red alert 2 and yuris revenge running, and here are the settings i have used.

Running Vista, using The First Decade.

RA2:
Running as administrator
Compatability mode (Windows 98/Windows ME)
Security: "Users" has the "full control" box checked.

Yuris Revenge:
NOT running as administrator
Compatability mode (Windows 98/Windows ME)
Security: "Users" has the "full control" box checked.

Not sure why it is different between the games, but i'm not going to change it to find out...it took me a while to get it running properly.

I hope this post helps, and many thanks to all the excellent posters leaving solutions before me...massive help.

Andy
Offline snipe75  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:16:34 AM(UTC)
snipe75
Private

Hello, I've got Windows XP SP3 and Red alert 2 , patch 1.006 and none of those fixes work (compatibility set to Win 98 and I right click on the game and run as admin, please help

Also, judging by the amount of you Vista posters, you'd think Vista was a success
Offline meneer15  
#27 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:33:10 PM(UTC)
meneer15
Private

You will have to move some stuff into you're registery because the game does not make an allowance directly, I dunno how to add that but I read on another forum that that guy moved the .reg file into the registery with RegEdit, again I dunno how or in what folder, but I do know that that ***fatal*** string blabla comes because of problems with the register, however, I don't have that problem with RA2, only with RA2YR.
Offline mvork68  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:09:52 PM(UTC)
mvork68
Private

where is the RA2 file

i dont get a compatability tab

Edited by moderator Wednesday, September 9, 2009 12:52:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Quote edited

Offline GettinGwap  
#29 Posted : Friday, September 25, 2009 8:35:03 PM(UTC)
GettinGwap
Private

Hello this is my first post. Well, I will give you the rundown. I have TFD, and installed only RA2 and YR. I had the string problem for a while when trying to play RA2, and when I tried to play YR it said to insert the disk. WTF? I haven't found an answer to this problem. I am an admin and I have the exe files running in compatability mode for windows 98. This software is a piece of crap.
Offline lanky  
#30 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2009 6:54:05 AM(UTC)
lanky
Private

THANKS MAN!!! YOU'RE GREAT!!!Thumb Up Thumb Up Big Smile Big Smile
Offline Mater Jt  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:35:25 AM(UTC)
Mater Jt
Private

Hey I was starting up Yuri it said Please insert the correct Cd select Ok and Application and I did that and it said the say thing.
Offline topunderdog  
#32 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:47:14 AM(UTC)
topunderdog
Private

Hey guys, can you fix ra2 and yuri's revenge for a dell inspiron computer using windows?Question it keeps on saying fatal string manager failed to initialize properly

Edited by user Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:49:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline crazy injection  
#33 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2009 7:02:38 PM(UTC)
crazy injection
Private

Hey everyone just signed up to say thanks and it works. i was about ready to flip.

i also came to help the guy thats having problems with his not having a compatabily problem. when i first tried i didn't have the compatability tab either. i first went into the settings on the ra2.exe file to try to get this to work and i didn't have the compatability file there. i went into ra2md.exe and the tab was there for compatabilty.. so check the other files and you might find it... and also, i did this in the red alert 2 file, if it still doesn't work try all the icons in the yuris revenge file too.
Offline toomdog  
#34 Posted : Friday, May 21, 2010 8:27:32 AM(UTC)
toomdog
Private

Thanks everyone for adding. I just installed The First Decade on my Vista laptop, and I got the FATAL String error... Didn't know what to do till I got here

BTW, I had to right click -> run as admin to get it to play too.
Offline SakuraNinja  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 8:10:27 PM(UTC)
SakuraNinja
Private

I only have RA2 running it with Windows 7. It was working fine up until I installed patch 1006. Now I get this same FATAL string error. I did edited the security and permissions. Still no go. I'm thinking it may be something to do with updates. I'm gonna try a different update and see if it works. Anyone know what's the latest update?
Offline MicScoTho  
#36 Posted : Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:13:14 AM(UTC)
MicScoTho
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 58 post(s)
SakuraNinja wrote:
Anyone know what's the latest update?

1.006 is the latest RA2 patch. The latest RA2/YR patches can be downloaded from here: http://www.cnclabs.com/d...s/redalert2/patches.aspx
MicScoTho - Founder
Offline Engineer ahmed  
#37 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:46:08 AM(UTC)
Engineer ahmed
Private

Thanks i solved my problem thanks
Offline jtusant  
#38 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 8:44:44 AM(UTC)
jtusant
Private

CG Apollos wrote:
If your operating system is Windows Vista and you have The First Decade installed and keep getting the message "***FATAL*** String Manager Failed to Initialize Properly" every time you try to run the executables for RA2 and YR, then this is for you. I have had this problem for a while myself and could not figure it out up until now.

Step 1: Find the RA2.exe/RA2MD.exe in the games' folders.

Step 2: Right click on either one, and select properties. Navigate to the security tab, and give "Users" full permission by clicking edit and then clicking the full control box under allow.

Step 3: Click the compatability tab, and click the box by "Run this program as an administrator" under the "Privelege Level" area.

Step 4: Run the game and enjoy! I hope this has helped you out somehow.

I have followed the instructions in this post, and I think I did it on one to many files. Cause now I can get the game loaded but when I start a American or Soviet mission, the first mission loads, and then tanya is immediately killed once she enters the screen (mission failer) and on the soviet side, the paratroopers land and run towards the base and they all die and the command center is destryoed (mission failer). How can this be corrected, so my son and I can enjoy playing the missions?
Offline Blan21  
#39 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:56:29 PM(UTC)
Blan21
Private

jtusant wrote:
I have followed the instructions in this post, and I think I did it on one to many files. Cause now I can get the game loaded but when I start a American or Soviet mission, the first mission loads, and then tanya is immediately killed once she enters the screen (mission failer) and on the soviet side, the paratroopers land and run towards the base and they all die and the command center is destryoed (mission failer). How can this be corrected, so my son and I can enjoy playing the missions?

You may want to have a look at this (lol) look at number 4: http://www.cracked.com/a...rewing-with-pirates.html

Anyways, I also have this problem. I tried all the steps and nothing seems to work. I did however get it to work when i turned off user account control, but it crashed within about 10 minutes. Plus having UAC off is really not worth it...
Offline spike  
#40 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:27:26 PM(UTC)
spike
Private

There is an easier way to do this. Just right click the ra2.exe or yuri.exe file the click "run as administrator. Presto, enjoy the game. Thumb Up Smile