Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Phill  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2022 6:19:22 PM(UTC)
Phill
Private

Hi, I have seen some old posts related to this, but little to no detailed information, or answers. I'm guessing lan multiplayer isn't common these days. So I will try to give as much information on the problem here.

So me and my friends have laptops with the origin ultimate collection, and like playing generals zero hour together in lan multiplayer, and have been for many years. Still think it is one of the best, and most fun multiplayer experiences out there, but over time we have found custom maps harder to get working properly.

I'm running a current windows 11 machine, and another friend windows 7. When one of us downloads a custom map(say from cnc), then hosts the game, clicks play, a screen comes up showing map being sent to other players. The receiving map progress bar fills in, then changes to preparing progress bar, which immediately stalls out, and an abort timer begins. It's like the maps are not being sent and received properly.

The funny thing is we can all download these custom maps individually and play them fine in solo skirmish mode, but having them downloaded doesn't seem to make any difference for lan multiplayer. It's like the game is only pulling the map information from the multiplayer host, and starts creating a duplicate map folder beside the original downloaded map in the documents folder/maps.

Now the files that do get sent, and received by players are sometimes random. Like it may be .map and .str, or .tga. It's like the game sends one or two files across then decides to quite. One map that didn't work, we all deleted the .tga graphic file, and it randomly started working in multiplayer, although the mini map graphic wasn't displaying in menu screen. Unfortunately that fix didn't work for other maps.

I've tried turning off anti-virus program, but doesn't change anything. We have all checked our IP addresses, and everything matches there. Appears to be some kind of network or synchronization issue with host. We have all tried hosting game but same problem no matter who's machine, or operating system. Of course the official zero hour maps work fine in multiplayer games, apart from the odd disconnect message thing that can pop up 15mins+ into a game.(Still annoying, but not as prevalent).

Feels like there should be a simple solution. As I mentioned earlier we have been playing this game off-and on for years with different machines, and originally, most older custom maps worked, there were still those that didn't, but it wasn't the majority. I don't know if it's partly to do with how modern maps are being created, but I would really like to know how to solve this. Thanks for your input in advance.
Sponsor
Offline AdrianeMapMaker  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2022 8:56:44 PM(UTC)
AdrianeMapMaker
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
Philippines

Was thanked: 185 time(s) in 149 post(s)
its just a weird oversight i think, me and my friends usually download the maps manually to avoid this issue, we also have issues having the map transfer via ingame so we prefer doing it manually.
A part of ZH worldbuilders map making community
https://discord.gg/tJ6zyGb

UserPostedImage

Offline Phill  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2022 11:27:21 PM(UTC)
Phill
Private

Okay. For some reason installing maps individually wasn't working for us either. Although could experiment more. A temporary work around for anyone interested that has been working for us is deleting all other files in the maps folder except for the .map file. Seem to stop the game from getting confused with other files, and maps seem to work.

One of my mates has an amd laptop, and it is having some weird issues every now and then with the game, but we got something working.
Offline i^love^mixery  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2022 12:18:42 AM(UTC)
i^love^mixery
Colonel

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 147 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Phill Go to Quoted Post
We have all checked our IP addresses, and everything matches there.

That's your issue, IP addresses are not supposed to match Big Smile

All jokes asside, if you are still interested in fixing this you can contact me in Discord. Can't promise anything tho but we will see what happens.

kABUSE#2915
Offline Phill  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2022 7:24:27 PM(UTC)
Phill
Private

lol Thanks man. We have actually had no problem since deleting the extra files in custom map folders. So are fine with continuing to do that.
Offline bleachinmyeyes  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2023 2:52:02 AM(UTC)
bleachinmyeyes
Private

If only there was a tool that would tell you why
Offline ThreeWheelDrive  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2023 9:43:24 PM(UTC)
ThreeWheelDrive
Private

I had recently run into this problem as well. I had fixed it by removing additional folders within the file destination (it should be Maps/[MapName]/[MapContents]) and renaming map's folder names to be identical to the tga and map file name (example: if the map and tga files are named "To Infinity", the map's folder cannot be named "to infinity" only "To Infinity").