Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gameanater  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 12:30:06 AM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 144 post(s)
If naval gameplay had ever been implemented in Zero Hour
Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
Sponsor
Offline klingondragon  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 9:26:09 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom
Location: Laniakea; Virgo Supercluster; Local Sheet; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion–Cygnus Arm; Gould Belt; Local Bubble; Local Interstellar Cloud; Sol System; Sol III; Europe; United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland; Great Britain; England; Essex

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
I still think if we all work together we could make a good naval mod.
Offline Gameanater  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 11:14:53 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Originally Posted by: KlingonDragon Go to Quoted Post
I still think if we all work together we could make a good naval mod.

You can definitely make functional balanced Naval Units such as badass battleships. Goodluck with the Aircraft Carrier, though, thanks to how airfield logic works you can't ever get a moving airfield.

I suppose you could create a mod that incorporates balanced variations of the PT Boat (like a Patriot Boat, Avenger Boat, Quad Boat, Gattling Boat, Propaganda Boat, etc) and the Battleships, with the Aircraft Carrier being your equivilant to a Command Center where you can build your starting ships and your upgrades with that.

There will still be some hardcoded limitations though because Zero Hour was never designed with much naval gameplay in mind. Namely you couldn't build structures on water nor can you set waypoints on Water. and the PT Boats move a little weirdly if you try to move them where water exists under land.

Edited by moderator Monday, August 22, 2022 11:31:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
Offline klingondragon  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 11:19:55 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom
Location: Laniakea; Virgo Supercluster; Local Sheet; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion–Cygnus Arm; Gould Belt; Local Bubble; Local Interstellar Cloud; Sol System; Sol III; Europe; United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland; Great Britain; England; Essex

One solution to the building thing: deploy the buildings from construction boats.
Waypointing shouldn't be too much of a problem. Command your ships to attack and move to the land and they go as far as they can (or need to) and attack from there.

Moving aircraft carriers, still working on them. got them to the point where they can move and send out planes, but not let them back in (could be because I'm trying to make them fly too)
Offline Gameanater  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 11:38:49 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

One solution to the building thing: deploy the buildings from construction boats.
Waypointing shouldn't be too much of a problem. Command your ships to attack and move to the land and they go as far as they can (or need to) and attack from there.

Moving aircraft carriers, still working on them. got them to the point where they can move and send out planes, but not let them back in (could be because I'm trying to make them fly too)

Yeah. I was thinking the Aircraft Carrier could build mobile "factory" Battleships which then build your other units.

For mobile Aircraft Carriers, are you using Troop Crawler logic? Because the only two ways I can think of are

- Making the Aircraft Carrier a Troop Crawler of sorts.

- Using Slave logic to make the planes around it drones, at the cost of them always flying.

if you've found another way or some combination of these I'm interested.
Offline klingondragon  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 11:42:01 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom

Yes, troop crawler logic. problem is the planes won't go back (neither will helicopters). perhaps if I stopped the carrier from flying they would.
Offline Gameanater  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 11:51:44 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Yes, troop crawler logic. problem is the planes won't go back (neither will helicopters). perhaps if I stopped the carrier from flying they would.

That's what I don't like about the Troop Crawler. XD It's main gimmick doesn't work much at all.

Even on a normal Troop Crawler the vehicle will abandon its infantry half the time and if you move it manually, the infantry tend to not try to return to their vehicle. I can't imagine the results end up very stable.

That said the Troop Crawler does heal the units inside, so that alone is quite nice.

May i ask what unit you're modding? Is it just a normal Troop Crawler pre-loaded with aircraft?

As a side note, my mod will redo Troop Crawlers to essentially be slower, highly tanky transports that infantry can fire from. I'm thinking the Assault Troop Crawler for Fai would simply be a tougher varient and retain its propaganda tower properties.

EDIT: My bad. I mis-read your post and missed the part where you said your carrier was flying. Is it like a Chinook with Troop Crawler Code applied and pre-loaded with other aircraft?

Edited by user Saturday, October 20, 2018 11:53:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline klingondragon  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2018 11:57:17 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom

I just created it from scratch. took the art from the carrier, locomotor from the comanche transport stuff from the crawler etc. Every time I tried to modify existing units the game broke.

I pre loaded it with exact copies of comanches and raptors (but with transport sizes set to 1)
Offline Gameanater  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 12:01:51 AM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Strange. Even applying Troop Crawler code to the Chinook broke the game? I wouldn't have thought haha

Good luck with your carrier man
Offline Zatsupachi  
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 6:20:31 AM(UTC)
Zatsupachi
Major

Was thanked: 213 time(s) in 155 post(s)
There's a chinese mod out there that replicated RA2 Aircraft Carriers.

I still don't know how it works, but involved freezing the aircraft carrier with a weapon until the "jets" return.

I also did it with Troop Crawler when I tried to make Protoss Carrier. Though like I just took the Troop Crawler, gave it a flying locomotor changed the allowedkindof to "aircraft" and bam, but it's not that stable, so I just literally just made the aircraft controllable.

Edited by user Sunday, October 21, 2018 6:32:37 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"It's precision_bomber."

Death Label HAS BEEN RELEASED(go get v0.99):
http://www.moddb.com/mod...oads/death-label-ver-099

Next Episode:
precision_bomber's Zero Hour SCIENCE!
Offline klingondragon  
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 6:41:36 AM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom

I remember watching that ages ago, wasn't that something to do with our abandoned mcu mod (which I want to bring back to life). didn't work for my carrier when I tried exactly that.
Offline Zatsupachi  
#12 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 9:13:35 AM(UTC)
Zatsupachi
Major

Was thanked: 213 time(s) in 155 post(s)
I remember making it so that you can see the aircrafts(but they were all stacked on top of each other) using a mobile firebase. I wish there was examples to look at for some module tags since, I'm curious to know what "OpenContain" is and if it's relevant to the thing I'm trying to achieve-- it could just be a remnant from RA2 just like Gates.

(Right now, I'm kinda focusing on a level design contest due this November and my current mod "Generals: Giant Robot Edition.")
"It's precision_bomber."

Death Label HAS BEEN RELEASED(go get v0.99):
http://www.moddb.com/mod...oads/death-label-ver-099

Next Episode:
precision_bomber's Zero Hour SCIENCE!
Offline Gameanater  
#13 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2018 9:53:26 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

I remember watching that ages ago, wasn't that something to do with our abandoned mcu mod (which I want to bring back to life). didn't work for my carrier when I tried exactly that.

Yeah I think that was to do with that mod idea.

I'm focusing on my own mod, Generals Domination, and barely have any spare time to devote to that so i can't really do much for other mods.