Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zatsupachi  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 2:38:47 PM(UTC)
Zatsupachi
Major

Was thanked: 213 time(s) in 155 post(s)
Hey guys, I'm noticing a bit of resurgence in these forums in the past few days so, I wanna make a listing of weird things and design choices that happen in the game engine. Feel free to add to this.

/BUNKER BUSTER AUTO-EVACUATE/
The bunker buster upgrade for stealth jets has a weird and probably intentional feature of auto-evacuating infantry out of garrison even without severely damaging the garrison or structures that are garrisonable until destroyed. It will force an evacuation. BUT ONLY IF THE STRUCTURE IS THE TARGET. If the structure is not the target but manages to "hit" it anyway, then that doesn't cause evacuation.

/KILL-PILOTING UNITS/
Jarmen Kell possess a weapon with a unique damage type called KILL_PILOT. There's actually lot more hardcoding that goes beyond from the generic damage type. Try a Sentry Drone for instance, it's "immune" to KILL_PILOT. But what if I know a way to "unman" a Sentry Drone.

First, you'd need to modify Jarmen Kell's Pilot Snipe weapon to have a damage radius.
Second, modify the command button that uses the weapon, by default, it requires you to target an enemy object, replace NEED_TARGET_ENEMY_OBJECT with NEED_TARGET_POS so that it only requires a position.

Now test it, target beside(and not on) the Sentry Drone. And voila, an unmanned Sentry Drone.

Two things are happening here:
A)KILL_PILOT only needs to hit cause the unmanned state of vehicles. Damage number doesn't exactly matter.
B)Because of the nature of KILL_PILOT a unit with 0% from a damage type to their armor not only makes them immune but, makes them untargettable by it. But since KILL_PILOT in this context has an area effect and not directly targetting the unit. KILL_PILOT still hits and causes an unmanned unit.
"It's precision_bomber."

Death Label HAS BEEN RELEASED(go get v0.99):
http://www.moddb.com/mod...oads/death-label-ver-099

Next Episode:
precision_bomber's Zero Hour SCIENCE!
thanks 2 users thanked Zatsupachi for this useful post.
Gameanater on 10/9/2018(UTC), UTD^Force on 10/10/2018(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline Gameanater  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2018 11:56:36 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 144 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Zatsupachi Go to Quoted Post
/BUNKER BUSTER AUTO-EVACUATE/
The bunker buster upgrade for stealth jets has a weird and probably intentional feature of auto-evacuating infantry out of garrison even without severely damaging the garrison or structures that are garrisonable until destroyed. It will force an evacuation. BUT ONLY IF THE STRUCTURE IS THE TARGET. If the structure is not the target but manages to "hit" it anyway, then that doesn't cause evacuation.

I think that's intentional so the weapon will eject units from Tunnel Networks.

Huh... That's odd. Now I want to dabble in this myself... The most I did with Sentry Drones was giving them veterancy and removing the asinine delay in carrying out their orders (which murders what little use they have). Is there a way to make Sentry Drones just able to be targeted?

I also now want to create a USA Drones general. Heehee....

/QUAD CANNON AND SALVAGE/SCRAP CRATES + VETERANCY = DOWNGRADED QUAD/
UserPostedImage

Quad Cannons don't quite work the way you expect with salvage crates and Veterancy. Due to some unknown bug they actually begin to deal less damage when upgraded with a salvate crate AND with Veterancy. The consensus is to usually keep one Quad Cannon for gathering all the scrap so you can still benefit from the money at least.

I've heard the Generals Gentlemen state that this is because the Quad Cannon weapon increases rate of fire for each upgrade but decreases individual damage per hit, and the Veterancy upgrade does the same thing, but quickly maxes out rate of fire while continuing to decrease damage per hit. However this is only half true, and as a side note Callum himself has shown general unfamaliarity with much of Zero Hour's mechanics and code. (Which is fine, and he is by far a better player than I myself am.)

What actually happens is the first upgrade decreases damage per hit by 2 points but the next upgrade only changes the rate of fire (delay between shots).

I can't pinpoint the issue myself. All I know is what happens is this:

Quad + Veterancy levels 1, 2, and 3 = Better quad.

Unvetted Quad plus all scrap levels = Better quad.

Vetted quad + any level of scrap = less damaging than a Vetted-Unscrapped or Scrapped-Unvetted Quad.

So sadly, a big scary-looking Quad Cannon with this giant behemoth of machinery on its turret and three levels of Veterancy and practically vomiting bullets onto its target is actually much less scary than a normal quad with full scrap upgrade or a Vet 3 Quad with no scrap.

A solution to this is to simply remove the rate of fire increase and increase the damage with each upgrade. I would also recommend upgrading the visual and sound effects in the weapon to reflect the increased damage (because it will still look cooler). alternatively, you could always redesign he upgrades to have completely different weapons.

/DRAGON TANK WEAPON HATES BEING USED BY NON-DRAGON TANKS AND OTHER STUFF/
UserPostedImage

Try giving the Dragon Tank weapon to an infantry (and fix the FireFX and WeaponLaunchBones). Half the time the infantry will miss its target by overshooting, sending harmless streams of flames right through him and leaving the actually damaging end part of the weapon several feet away. Garrisoning this unit makes it even worse.

Even garrisoning the Dragon Tank in a Bunker modded to contain vehicles causes a similar issue. As does it on the off-chance you can get the Dragon Tank to fire out of a Combat Chinook...

Personally when I modded the Tank General's Bunkers to contain vehicles I got around this by redoing the Dragon Tank into a hybrid of his Battlemaster and an Inferno Cannon. It was basically a squisher Battlemaster that created flames with its weapon and could even create firestorms. And when this thing got Autoloaders and Black Napalm together... It was glorious.

(Don't worry it could still flamewall.)

The lesson here? Flamethrowers are frickin' weird in Zero Hour.

Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.