Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline VTULCobra  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 9:15:44 AM(UTC)
VTULCobra
Major
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
Sweden

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 33 post(s)
I know I haven't posted or been active on this forum for a long time, but I decided to check in and do a quick post as I noticed something interesting yesterday.
We all know most official maps (especially 8-player) are full of *censored* when it comes to playing online with humans and AI at the same time. Lag cause of pathing, terrain height differences, random mismatches and so on. We know scripts, map.ini files (depending on contents) and other actual objects placed with the World Builder can mismatch a game online.

Yesterday, however, I was playing on the only 5-player official map in Zero Hour (forgot the name obviously :D), with my buddy acidbrain, simply because we like the layout and we never mismatched on the map. It's a solid map.
Yesterday was the first time we got a mismatch on it, and we were both obviously quite bummed out. It happened fairly early in the match, around 3-4 minutes.
We decided to try again, this time setting the same armies as we got from the previous game, cause why not.
The game mismatches again. The three armies we were put up against were all China Vanilla.
We restart a total of three times, with all China Vanilla, and all matches mismatching around 3-4 minutes.
We restart with the armies changed to one China Vanilla, another China Infantry, and the last to China Tank. The game does not mismatch, and we finish it as usual.

This is something I found very interesting and that I want to explore a bit further. I've not tested with other armies of the same faction, nor other maps, but I'm highly assuming this is why maps with larger player counts (even if no lag) have higher tendencies of mismatching, as there is a higher chance of getting multiple armies of the same faction.

Now there can obviously be a massive amount of things causing this, but I theorize about a static call to something, like a unit TYPE, upgrade or generals power. I can only guess.

I will keep trying things today, including other factions and maps, and update if I find anything out. Feel free to contribute (with hard evidence preferably, I will add my own eventually).

This post is mainly about ways to avoid mismatching, and not actually fixing a mismatch, as it is often a deeper problem in the über super amazing awesome engine itself (when we aren't talking manually adding things like map files and/or scripts).

Edit 1;
If this is further proven consistent, I'll sticky it, not otherwise.

Hoi!Smile Thumb Up

Edited by user Saturday, October 7, 2017 9:23:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rank up!
Sponsor
Offline SkyMix_RMT  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 7, 2017 10:39:24 PM(UTC)
SkyMix_RMT
Major
Portugal

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 96 post(s)
I can try to do some testing with friends tomorrow
Check out:

My Music (Techno/House/Experimental)

My Website (GeneralsCentral)

My Youtube Channel (Inactive)

World Builder Community Discord
thanks 1 user thanked SkyMix_RMT for this useful post.
VTULCobra on 10/8/2017(UTC)
Offline Zatsupachi  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 8, 2017 11:06:08 AM(UTC)
Zatsupachi
Major

Was thanked: 213 time(s) in 155 post(s)
nice avatar.

Also... Yes... SAGE 3D is a good engine. *twitch
"It's precision_bomber."

Death Label HAS BEEN RELEASED(go get v0.99):
http://www.moddb.com/mod...oads/death-label-ver-099

Next Episode:
precision_bomber's Zero Hour SCIENCE!