Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline SkyMix_RMT  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 4:06:26 PM(UTC)
SkyMix_RMT
Major
Portugal

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 96 post(s)
Lately I've been having very weird problems with my map.

It used to be fine, I once playtested a version to see if everything was fine, the map was playable without problems untill a certain point because only the first part was scripted.

So today I start scripting the second part of the mission, the map boundarie changes and the map extends... etc. I did normal things like adding scenes briefings and making teams etc. No scripts form the second part use variables from the first part.

I finished that part and I proceed to playtest the map, but now, the first part of the map, that was previously completed playtested and stable, suddenly starts giving a ton of problems. The enemy waves dont begin, some teams dont spawn and some counters and flags do not seem to be changing.

To see what was going on I made some DEBUG scripts that displayed some timers and counters to the user so I could see what was going on, but then when I start the map the game crashes after loading. I start deleting some of the DEBUG scripts and apparently, for some reason, displaying some timers/counters caused the crash.

I then opened the crash log:

Wich I don't understand what it meant. (I tried running the game on Administrator but same results)

After this, since I had no options left, I used the pain that is the ScriptDebugger, and I noticed that some things were missing in the "Variables:" section, correct me if I'm wrong here, the "Variables:" section is supost to display ALL timers, counters and flags right? But it wasn't, there were some timers and counters missing, and some flags weren't changing at all even though the scripts that are suposed to change them were running.

This lead me thinking that there must be some kind of limit to how much timers/counters/flags you can have on one map.

Can you guys help me I don't know what's hapenning Sad

Thanks in advance, if you need more details please let me know!

EDIT:
I am shocked.
To try to see if this "limit" actually exists, I made a copy of the current version, and deleted all the second part scripts. I played the map again and it was working again! HOW?! Is anybody aware that there are limits for these variables or am I missing something?!

Edited by user Tuesday, June 13, 2017 4:48:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Check out:

My Music (Techno/House/Experimental)

My Website (GeneralsCentral)

My Youtube Channel (Inactive)

World Builder Community Discord
thanks 1 user thanked SkyMix_RMT for this useful post.
zero hour mad map maker on 6/13/2017(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline zero hour mad map maker  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 8:39:18 PM(UTC)
zero hour mad map maker
Colonel
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
Canada

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Holy sheeeet! This is a nice investigation that is quite intriguing! I understand your frustration, because a couple of years back when my map making was at its peak I too made a map that worked JUST perfectly! Then I added, like you, the second part without TOUCHING the first part, and then the map when bad. It didn't get as bad as yours is now; as I was able to fix it by making adjustments here and there.

But, based on your investigation I too am now wondering if there does indeed exist such a limit.
Ready for Anything! --- C&C Labs Staff , Maps Staff , Moderator
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 8:41:11 PM(UTC)
zero hour mad map maker
Colonel
Canada

Though I am also doubtful, because I have seen/created maps with LOAD upon loads of timers and such, and it worked fine.

Out of wonderment, does this map happen to be your "Kihill Beach" project? If it is it's probably the sheer size of the thing! It's the biggest map I have laid witness to in my 9 years of map making!
thanks 1 user thanked zero hour mad map maker for this useful post.
SkyMix_RMT on 6/14/2017(UTC)
Offline acidbrain  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 11:56:53 PM(UTC)
acidbrain
General

Was thanked: 574 time(s) in 364 post(s)
Make a campaign from the map.
Area 1 mission 1, area 2 mission 2 etc
For the second mission delete all the scripts from the first mission and so on...
Use 2000 objects as maximum next time, the more you add to the map the more has to be stored in memory, the map becomes laggy if you have too much objects, trees also cause lag because of the sway they have.
You really don't need that much objects to make a nice map, jujst make a campaign and divide you idea into parts for the separate missions...

Greetz

Edited by user Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:00:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Panem et kirkinses
thanks 1 user thanked acidbrain for this useful post.
Offline SkyMix_RMT  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 4:39:56 AM(UTC)
SkyMix_RMT
Major
Portugal

Originally Posted by: Zero Hour Mad Map Maker Go to Quoted Post

I was able to fix it by making adjustments here and there.

I too made adjusments, I tried re-making some scripts and changed name of the flags counters and timers, but it changed nothing

Though I am also doubtful, because I have seen/created maps with LOAD upon loads of timers and such, and it worked fine.

I've seen maps like that too wich is why I'm confused. We also have skirmish scripts that are huge and they always worked. Could this be hapenning only on my machine and version of my game? I'll give a copy to a friend and see if he has the same problem.

Out of wonderment, does this map happen to be your "Kihill Beach" project? If it is it's probably the sheer size of the thing! It's the biggest map I have laid witness to in my 9 years of map making!

Yes, this is Operation Kihill Beach, and yeah I guess I was too ambitious when I started working on this, I wanted to do something that no one had ever seen before, there are more than 1000+ missions around, I wanted to make a mission that would stand out from those, not only because it's big, but is heavily customized (hence the 5000 lines of code), something that deviated from the generic mission format [build a base; build a defence line that is able to hold all enemy waves; spam units and destroy the enemies base].

Originally Posted by: acidbrain Go to Quoted Post

Make a campaign from the map.
Area 1 mission 1, area 2 mission 2 etc
For the second mission delete all the scripts from the first mission and so on...

There's a problem with this though, on the first part you're supost to capture an area and build a small outpost/base there, and the second part depends on that small base. What I could try is separating the intro cinematic, making it on another map. The intro cinematic alone has around 100 timers counters and flags.

Use 2000 objects as maximum next time, the more you add to the map the more has to be stored in memory, the map becomes laggy if you have too much objects, trees also cause lag because of the sway they have.

I still think that objects are not a problem nowadays, and if you have problems with them, just disable "show props" in the graphics settings, then no trees or props will be loaded. But if you still want to keep the props, disabling "Extra animations" disables tree sway.

You really don't need that much objects to make a nice map, jujst make a campaign and divide you idea into parts for the separate missions...

Most of the objects in the map are units, essential for gameplay wich I can't remove, I could replace them with waypoints and scripts that spawn them but that would be a hassle.

Thank you ZHMMM and AcidBrain for all the help and suggestions, this definitely gave me ideas for new solutions, can't wait to try them when I get home.
Check out:

thanks 1 user thanked SkyMix_RMT for this useful post.
zero hour mad map maker on 6/14/2017(UTC)
Offline Zatsupachi  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 9:40:09 AM(UTC)
Zatsupachi
Major

Was thanked: 213 time(s) in 155 post(s)
If I were you, I'd have 1 timer per cutscene. That way you can also clear up some variables.

Also, you don't need a million counters either. You'd need a few at best-- only make counters when it's really needed.

You can also re-use counters if you can.

Edited by user Wednesday, June 14, 2017 9:41:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"It's precision_bomber."

Death Label HAS BEEN RELEASED(go get v0.99):
http://www.moddb.com/mod...oads/death-label-ver-099

Next Episode:
precision_bomber's Zero Hour SCIENCE!
thanks 1 user thanked Zatsupachi for this useful post.
Offline Unknown Editor  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 10:08:37 AM(UTC)
Unknown Editor
Major

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 59 post(s)
You know , there are some Tricks everyone Will Learn to Descrease any Kind of Bugs . For Example my Way is to check Everything After A Change (A Folder of Scripts , a System or sth) on the Map and Debug it at the Time .
You know , when I try Sth Several times with different ways and It still Has the Problem , I just Remove Everything about it and Reprogram it in a case that is not like the last One .
To now I've just Found And fixed more than 1500 Scripts , INI Codes , Bad Train Bugs in my map .
Also , Some of the Scripts Made by EA won't work correct , For example there are several things to Test or Do just One thing and so , Some are Fake and won't work .
Always try one thing With another Kind of scripts and watch out for the best result .
Good Luck

Edited by user Wednesday, June 14, 2017 10:16:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Sth Really Private , I can't Tell you , PLZ Don't want it from me , I will say nothing

Asking is Not a Problem , Problem is Not to Know Something .

Operation : Dark Angel
Static : Launch Delayed
Reason : Uncool Terrain - Old Logic in use - Lack of Performance
Status : Applying new Terrain - Applying new Logic - Increasing Performance by 300%
thanks 2 users thanked Unknown Editor for this useful post.
SkyMix_RMT on 6/14/2017(UTC), zero hour mad map maker on 6/15/2017(UTC)
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 6:40:40 PM(UTC)
zero hour mad map maker
Colonel
Canada

These points are true, but they would pose a huge amount of work, considering that you have to remake the scripts to basically to the same thing; but in a more efficient way.

I would suggest making a Master Timer and a Master Counter, that other scripts would have to follow. You could also rely on some "Sequential Scrips" as they can be repeated to your hearts desire.
thanks 2 users thanked zero hour mad map maker for this useful post.
SkyMix_RMT on 6/14/2017(UTC), Unknown Editor on 6/15/2017(UTC)
Offline Gameanater  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:10:03 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 144 post(s)
Two possible ways you could divide the mission into two or more missions. On a side note, I also think this is a good idea because I generally get tired of a mission if it starts going on for like 45 minutes and more. And hour and a half is needlessly long and will likely cause your player to get fatigued and lose interest in finishing the mission. Dividing it up into smaller, "bite-sized" missions would help.
For example, GLA mission 05 in ZH could have probably been merged with China mission 01 (assuming there was a way to script the player to switch factions or whatever). But if that happened, that'd probably lead to a tired player who feels compelled to finish the mission but he's already spent around half an hour on the GLA half of the mission already.

Anyway....

Mission 1 could easily be the portion of the mission where you simply have to clear through and destroy the first enemy encampment with the special team you get at the beginning and the swarms of allied Rangers constantly pouring in and never stopping. The second mission could start with actually building the base, with the team there and a fairly large amount of Rangers to start with to protect your Dozers in the beginning. The rest of the mission could proceed as originally intended.

Or probably the best option -

Split the mission into half so there's probably about half an hour of gameplay per mission at most. The first mission has the player clearing out the beach to build a base and smash the GLA contorlling the village. The second mission starts with an intro of the GLA destroying USA forces and the text informs the player the GLA launched a devastating counter-attack and built a second base right next to the USA's, and the player must rebuild their base while fending off attacks and then smash the GLA controlling the top half of the map.

As is however, it sounds like you've just overloaded the game on how much it can handle for a single map. I love the ambition but I think the mission could end up being too long for one mission and it might be best to either split it up into two or more maps, or shorten the mission as a whole.
Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
thanks 1 user thanked Gameanater for this useful post.
SkyMix_RMT on 6/15/2017(UTC)
Offline Unknown Editor  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:30:33 PM(UTC)
Unknown Editor
Major

Nice Idea but just having a Big mission Can be Intresting too .
Just Requires abit of nice Scripting and Bordering .
About Generals 30 mins is nothing , I usually Don't play Less than 1 Hour and Also , Making the Map finish in 30 mins can make it a way too easy to win and We are not playing just to win . Just needs to make it less Possible to Lose Every minutes , For Example if you Lose at the Biggining , You'll Try Again but If Lose Because of a Little thing after 1:20 minutes of Playing , Might not Play it or Get the Bored of it . Once it happened to me and I deleted the map .
Difficulty must be Medium or Hard (not EXPert) , Must also Include Intersting Scripts , New Attack ways and Special Effects .
Also If can't Work With a couple of Scripts , try to minimize them to a Major Script folder .
Lots and Lots and ...
So , That was a way more Difficult than I Thought
Good Luck

Status : Applying new Terrain - Applying new Logic - Increasing Performance by 300%
thanks 1 user thanked Unknown Editor for this useful post.
SkyMix_RMT on 6/15/2017(UTC)
Offline SkyMix_RMT  
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 3:58:35 PM(UTC)
SkyMix_RMT
Major
Portugal

Originally Posted by: Gameanater Go to Quoted Post

Mission 1 could easily be the portion of the mission where you simply have to clear through and destroy the first enemy encampment with the special team you get at the beginning and the swarms of allied Rangers constantly pouring in and never stopping. The second mission could start with actually building the base, with the team there and a fairly large amount of Rangers to start with to protect your Dozers in the beginning. The rest of the mission could proceed as originally intended.

This is exactly what I did! Mission will be seperated into 2 parts. Currently Part 1 is done, playtested, and playable. And I made part 2 in a different map wich is about halfway done.

Originally Posted by: Gameanater Go to Quoted Post

Split the mission into half so there's probably about half an hour of gameplay per mission at most. The first mission has the player clearing out the beach to build a base and smash the GLA contorlling the village. The second mission starts with an intro of the GLA destroying USA forces and the text informs the player the GLA launched a devastating counter-attack and built a second base right next to the USA's, and the player must rebuild their base while fending off attacks and then smash the GLA controlling the top half of the map.

This is a very good ideia, but it would problably add one more year of development xD , as I would have to re-do most of everything that is already done in order for that to work.

Originally Posted by: Unknown Editor Go to Quoted Post

Difficulty must be Medium or Hard (not EXPert) , Must also Include Intersting Scripts , New Attack ways and Special Effects.

The mission was firstly intended to be very hard. But I made some friends playtest it and it was way too hard. Ever since then I was planning to have 4 difficulties, [Easy, Medium, Hard, IMPOSSIBLE] each one a different map, it wouldn't take much work since all I had to do was change a few variables like starting money and wave timers.

As for the others, very interesting concepts, but to apply those to my current version would take ages. I appreciate them though, will definitely take notes for future projects.
Check out:

thanks 2 users thanked SkyMix_RMT for this useful post.
Gameanater on 6/15/2017(UTC), Unknown Editor on 6/16/2017(UTC)
Offline Gameanater  
#12 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 10:53:06 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 144 post(s)
Quote:
As for the others, very interesting concepts, but to apply those to my current version would take ages. I appreciate them though, will definitely take notes for future projects.

I understand for sure. Smile The work you've done already is MASSIVELY impressive and it's awesome! Thumb Up I can't wait to play it soon. Perhaps I can playtest it one more time before it's released? Big Smile

I also created a map.ini full of special effects edits. The main changes are adding dynamic flashing lighting to several weapon effects, and adding blood to infantry while also adding a little sound effect to make them grunt when shot. The changes are very small, but I think they'd be awesome in your map!

One more thing... I really want to get back into mapmaking for Zero Hour soon. I think there was a map I sent you before that I unfortunately never did anything with. I'm thinking of picking that map back up but with a vastly different design and structure. I tend to do pretty well with landscaping and adding the buildings and all-- but I absolutely STINK at map scripting and am a novice at map.ini's. Perhaps we could collaborate on the map again? Big Smile

Quote:

Quote:
Difficulty must be Medium or Hard (not EXPert) , Must also Include Intersting Scripts , New Attack ways and Special Effects.

The mission was firstly intended to be very hard. But I made some friends playtest it and it was way too hard. Ever since then I was planning to have 4 difficulties, [Easy, Medium, Hard, IMPOSSIBLE] each one a different map, it wouldn't take much work since all I had to do was change a few variables like starting money and wave timers.

If you want some cool names for the difficulties, here's some suggestions. XD The text after the intro could tell what difficulty you have for the map. Just a simple "Difficulty: Medium" or whatever. I also would suggest possibly leaving the amount of cash the player gets, and their tech tree, the same throughout every difficulty, but to increase the amount of cash and reinforcements, etc, that the enemy gets, and for harder difficulties maybe even start increasing the armor of enemy units (but not their damage).

Anyway, the names could be....

I'm Too Young To Die (Easy)
Give Me a Fun Challenge (Medium)
Hit My Army Hard (Hard)
Hurt Me Plenty (Expert)
Enemy Is a Cheating Bast4rd (Torment I)
Enemy Cheats Even More (Torment II)
Impossible (Torment III)

XD

"Difficulty: I'm Too Young To Die (Easy)
You wimp."

"Difficulty: Give Me a Fun Challenge (Medium)
Good luck, general!"

"Difficulty: Hit My Army Hard (Hard)
Now we're talkin'!"

"Difficulty: Hurt Me Plenty (Expert)
You're in for a rough ride, general...
The enemy has unlimited funds, periodic reinforcements from plane,
and all enemy units have 25% stronger armor."

"Difficulty: Enemy Is a Cheating Bast4rd (Torment I)
Enemy gets stronger periodic reinforcements from plane that get harder as you progress. Enemy has
unlimited funds and enemy units all have 25% stronger armor."

"Difficulty: Enemy Cheats Even More (Torment II)
Enemy gets larger periodic reinforcements from plane that get harder as you progress. Enemy has
unlimited funds. Enemy units all have 25% stronger armor, enemy structures self-repair.

"Difficulty: Impossible (Torment III)
Enemy gets stronger and larger periodic reinforcements from plane that get harder as you progress.
Enemy has unlimited funds. Enemy units all have 25% stronger armor, all enemy missiles have EMP,
enemy structures self-repair, all enemy units have Horde Bonus, and enemy receives Stealth Quad Snipers."

You could also add certain special things for the player on harder difficulties. For example they may be able to train more special units, or have access to more general's points. On the Torment difficulties they could even have access to every general's point, but the mission would still be freaking hard. XD

I think I may actually incorporate these ideas into my future maps. Having several difficulty levels like this might be fun.

Edited by user Thursday, June 15, 2017 10:54:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
thanks 3 users thanked Gameanater for this useful post.
Unknown Editor on 6/16/2017(UTC), SkyMix_RMT on 6/16/2017(UTC), zero hour mad map maker on 6/16/2017(UTC)
Offline Unknown Editor  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2017 1:27:31 AM(UTC)
Unknown Editor
Major

Nice Idea , I think Expert could be Useful For Me .
In this case Hard is So Boring

Offline i^love^mixery  
#14 Posted : Monday, June 19, 2017 8:49:43 PM(UTC)
i^love^mixery
Colonel

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 147 post(s)
One multiplayer mission map I created years ago features roundabout 2,000 scripts. Another guy who I assisted creating the Hide and Seek maps has like 10 or 15 randomizer script constructions in his map, causing an equal or even higher amount of scripts.

But I've never stumbled upon any limits nor did I hear of such limits.

Maybe this only happens if all your scripts are active from the beginning? Don't you work with activating and deactivating script folders?
thanks 1 user thanked i^love^mixery for this useful post.
SkyMix_RMT on 6/20/2017(UTC)
Offline Unknown Editor  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 12:59:57 AM(UTC)
Unknown Editor
Major

About Scripts EVERY TIME But about the Folders Not Really , Just Sometimes for Really Necessary things .

Offline SkyMix_RMT  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 12:14:18 PM(UTC)
SkyMix_RMT
Major
Portugal

Originally Posted by: i^love^mixery Go to Quoted Post
Maybe this only happens if all your scripts are active from the beginning? Don't you work with activating and deactivating script folders?

That's a good point. All my folders are active from the beginning, that may be what's causing the issues.
Check out:

Offline SkyMix_RMT  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 7:25:04 PM(UTC)
SkyMix_RMT
Major
Portugal

Found the reason to this issue, and I do recall back in the day of the existence of this file, and the first thing I thought when I read this was this topic

UserPostedImage

Source: http://sdi.cncguild.net/page.php?file=/quotes/tips

Thanks acidbrain for sharing it.

Edited by user Monday, August 27, 2018 7:29:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: mistakes were made

Check out:

thanks 2 users thanked SkyMix_RMT for this useful post.
UTD^Force on 8/27/2018(UTC), Unknown Editor on 8/27/2018(UTC)
Offline acidbrain  
#18 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 9:51:01 PM(UTC)
acidbrain
General

Check This stuff...:P
Also working on a java app that automatically removes this file after closing worldbuilder, here is a pic.
UserPostedImage
You can make shortcuts with this app, make templates so you can combine shortcuts into a package specific for 1 map for testing purposes and such, remove/add commandline args really quickly and lots more fun stuff.
App is 90% finished, havent worked on it for weeks because im not in the mood for java coding for a while now...Coming in a few months maybe...

Cheers
Panem et kirkinses
thanks 2 users thanked acidbrain for this useful post.
Unknown Editor on 8/27/2018(UTC), UTD^Force on 8/28/2018(UTC)
Offline UTD^Force  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 9:14:34 AM(UTC)
UTD^Force
Colonel
Jordan

Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 168 post(s)
Btw, what is the script debugger mentioned in point 6?
Proud Muslim

UTD^Force

Moderator and former map reviewer
CnC Labs
Offline acidbrain  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2018 11:03:55 AM(UTC)
acidbrain
General

Originally Posted by: UTD^Force Go to Quoted Post
Btw, what is the script debugger mentioned in point 6?

The scriptdebugger does what is says, you have to add a dynamic link lib(.dll) to the root to get it all to work, you also need to add a commandline switch to the sourcepath.
If you set it up right you will see a minimized gamewindow with a second window next to it in which you can see all parameters and scripts that are running in your map, i used it a freakin lot and it is a awesome tool if you ask me...
Here is a pic:
UserPostedImage

More detailed:
I attached a rar with the dll file needed, put that file in your gameroot, where all the big files are.
Create shortcut to generals.exe in that same gameroot and put it on your desktop, right click shortcut and pick 'Properties', pick tab 'Shortcut' if it isnt already selected and add following commandline switch to the source:
-scriptDebug -win -quickstart
-quickstart is optional btw, the path should look something like this now:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Command & Conquer The First Decade\Command & Conquer(tm) Generals Zero Hour\generals.exe" -scriptDebug -win -quickstart

Be sure that there is a space between the end of the path and the first argument!
Close properties window and run the game with your edited shortcut and voila, scriptdebugger is installed...
Oh if you try to play a skirmish map with scriptdebugger it might not work, in my opinion you can use it the best for testmaps, not too many scripts, try it out for yourself, maybe im full of sjit, happens more...

Cheers

Edited by user Tuesday, August 28, 2018 11:11:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Classified

File Attachment(s):
DebugWindow.rar (236kb) downloaded 20 time(s).
Panem et kirkinses
thanks 1 user thanked acidbrain for this useful post.
UTD^Force on 8/28/2018(UTC)