Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline zoony12345  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 4:29:53 PM(UTC)
zoony12345
Private

Hi, I have installed C&C Generals disc1 & 2 to my Windows 10 pc and I have ran a patch 1.08. I have changed the compatability to Win xp SP2 and Admin mode but on clicking to start the game tnothing happens...Can you help me please as I am stuck..

Thanks

David Morrisson
Sponsor
Offline klingondragon  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 4:36:49 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
United Kingdom
Location: Laniakea; Virgo Supercluster; Local Sheet; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion–Cygnus Arm; Gould Belt; Local Bubble; Local Interstellar Cloud; Sol System; Sol III; Europe; United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland; Great Britain; England; Essex

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
First things first, the latest patch is 1.04 (not 1.08).
Secondly, you will never be able to play generals from the discs on W10. This is due to the kind of disc security used in the mid 00s which Microsoft have decided to stop supporting.

If you want to play on W10 your best bet would probably be to get the ultimate collection on origin (I got my code from amazon for £6)

Edited by user Thursday, November 24, 2016 4:39:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Update

Offline zoony12345  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 4:52:43 PM(UTC)
zoony12345
Private

Hi,

Thanks for the reply :-)

http://www.cnclabs.com/d...oads/details.aspx?id=441

C&C Generals Patch 1.08
Description
The official 1.08 patch for Command and Conquer Generals.

1.08 Seems to be the latest patch...
Offline klingondragon  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 4:57:46 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom
Location: Laniakea; Virgo Supercluster; Local Sheet; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion–Cygnus Arm; Gould Belt; Local Bubble; Local Interstellar Cloud; Sol System; Sol III; Europe; United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland; Great Britain; England; Essex

sorry, yes 1.08 is the latest for generals. 1.04 for ZH (most stuff on the generals forums is ZH related).
Offline zero hour mad map maker  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 6:30:50 PM(UTC)
zero hour mad map maker
Colonel
Canada

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Originally Posted by: klingondragon Go to Quoted Post
First things first, the latest patch is 1.04 (not 1.08).
Secondly, you will never be able to play generals from the discs on W10. This is due to the kind of disc security used in the mid 00s which Microsoft have decided to stop supporting.

If you want to play on W10 your best bet would probably be to get the ultimate collection on origin (I got my code from amazon for £6)

Huh, so that's why my Red Alert 2 disk doesn't work huh? What about the Command and conquer ultimate collection on disk for windows 10?
Ready for Anything! --- C&C Labs Staff , Maps Staff , Moderator
Offline klingondragon  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 6:35:51 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom

The disk should just be a code for origin. My code came in a disk case but there is no disc.
Although if it did come with a disc I expect it would work as it would probably just install origin and the ultimate collection from the disc.
The problem with disks isn't that the games don't work. it's that the games can't check if they're being run from the disc (I assume they did this originally to stop pirating).
Offline UTD^Force  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 11:08:56 AM(UTC)
UTD^Force
Colonel
Jordan

Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 168 post(s)
When I install a game and it doesn't start or crashes, not only cnc, I go to its properties, compatibility and then check run this program in compatibility mode for: windows xp (service pack 3).
I had this issue with generals and zh when I got windows 10, I've just tried it on zh, now it works. Hope it's helpful. And also make it run as administrator.

Edit
I haven't read your whole post :\ weird, I think it should work, I don't know if it makes a difference, but if you consider changing it to service pack 3.

Late reply.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 17, 2017 11:13:25 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Proud Muslim

UTD^Force

Moderator and former map reviewer
CnC Labs
Offline qqqqqqqqqp  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 11:53:16 AM(UTC)
qqqqqqqqqp
Major
United States

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Hmmm discs don't work?? I use the first decade disk on my win10 laptop and it works fine didn't change anything. Strange I'll have to go reinstall it. But I need to find my codes first.....

I use an external disk drive as my laptop didn't come with a disk drive. Would that affect it?

Edited by user Wednesday, May 17, 2017 11:54:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

9Q_1P at your service. Moddin help and mod maker ranges from paradrop planes, aircraftcarriers and yes snow men with death lazer eyes

Want a peek? Visit this page
Advanced warfare
Offline klingondragon  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:16:05 PM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
United Kingdom

The thing that stops disks working on win 10 is the lack of a driver. External won't affect it.
Offline zero hour mad map maker  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2017 7:11:52 PM(UTC)
zero hour mad map maker
Colonel
Canada

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Originally Posted by: qqqqqqqqqp Go to Quoted Post
Hmmm discs don't work?? I use the first decade disk on my win10 laptop and it works fine didn't change anything. Strange I'll have to go reinstall it. But I need to find my codes first.....

I use an external disk drive as my laptop didn't come with a disk drive. Would that affect it?

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but it could also be (assuming) that before you upgraded to windows 10, you already had the first decade installed. So they would be working. That's what happened with my ZH. Worked awesome on Windows 8, then when I got Win 10 it still worked until I uninstalled it and then re-installed it. Only then did it go pllllllt for me.
Ready for Anything! --- C&C Labs Staff , Maps Staff , Moderator