Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline CaeDares  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 10:39:21 AM(UTC)
CaeDares
Captain
United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I'm creating a couple characters right now for CNC:ZH and was just wondering what I have to do in order to give a character the "color indication" to show what team it's on. Is that something I have to do while modelling the character or does it have to be done within an .ini file...?
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

I may not be available between November 22nd and December 4th due to travelling. If you require my assistance, please Private Message me
Sponsor
Offline acidbrain  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:33:11 AM(UTC)
acidbrain
General

Was thanked: 574 time(s) in 364 post(s)
Make an object called housecolor and asign a housecolor texture to it and voilla.
Panem et kirkinses
thanks 1 user thanked acidbrain for this useful post.
CaeDares on 11/19/2014(UTC)
Offline CaeDares  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:52:37 AM(UTC)
CaeDares
Captain
United States

Originally Posted by: acidbrain Go to Quoted Post
Make an object called housecolor and asign a housecolor texture to it and voilla.

Thank you, but could you explain what you mean by "Housecolor Texture"? Are they certain textures that I have to use like solid in-game colors?

I may not be available between November 22nd and December 4th due to travelling. If you require my assistance, please Private Message me
Offline acidbrain  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 12:00:45 PM(UTC)
acidbrain
General

Was thanked: 574 time(s) in 364 post(s)
Check the textures in Art/Textures, there are textures called Housecolor, if you asign that texture to parts of you model it will be teamcolor in game.
Note: the textures are in both vanilla and ZH
Panem et kirkinses
thanks 1 user thanked acidbrain for this useful post.
CaeDares on 11/19/2014(UTC)
Offline CaeDares  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 12:14:27 PM(UTC)
CaeDares
Captain
United States

Originally Posted by: acidbrain Go to Quoted Post
Check the textures in Art/Textures, there are textures called Housecolor, if you asign that texture to parts of you model it will be teamcolor in game.
Note: the textures are in both vanilla and ZH

Thanks a bunch for this.

Edit: Do you mean the Art/Textures folder under my Gmax/RenX folders, or in one of my Generals folders? Whichever it is, I don't have that folder for any of them, so now I'm clueless as to where it is.

Would you also happen to know how I skin the front AND back of the model?
I'm using ChilliSkinner (Not sure what it's purpose is so far, was just told to use it in a tutorial).
I click on "Asset Browser" and find the file I want to put on my model. I did a recolor of the "zhca_airanger_s2.tga" file and saved it under a different name. It basically looks like an alien. Naked upper body with the rib cage and chest muscles and whatnot. I apply the new skin and only the front of his body seems to be skinned (he's all gray). How would I go about doing the back side of him so that I can give him shoulder blades and stuff like that.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:41:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Rrtaya_tsamsiyu  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:10:12 PM(UTC)
Rrtaya_tsamsiyu
Colonel
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Actually, you just need to name the object HOUSECOLORxx [x's are numbers]and you can give it whatever texture you want.

The team color will combine with whatever texture you use. So, if you color the object red and the player selects green, the object will be yellow in game due to the colors combining. Grey will darken the team's color.

You can use this to achieve different effects, like making an an exhaust port be the house color, and have the texture get dark in the middle so it looks like the housecolor has been covered in soot from the exhaust, things like that. Or don't put any texture and it should just give you the team color.

==========================================================================
And the main thing you'll probably use chilli skinner for is the Auto Detach function. It's right under the Detach Angle thingy, the icon looks like a cube with some gears. Select your object, then click that icon and it should turn most of the surfaces into little pieces that you can texture individually.

Another thing you can do, since you're just trying to texture two sides, is to copy your object, then delete the front half of one copy and delete the back half of the other copy. Then your object will be two sides instead of a bunch of little pieces like what chilli will do.

Edited by user Wednesday, November 19, 2014 5:15:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

one soul at a time
thanks 1 user thanked Rrtaya_tsamsiyu for this useful post.
UTD^Force on 11/19/2014(UTC)
Offline CaeDares  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:04:04 PM(UTC)
CaeDares
Captain
United States

Alright, thank you.

So guide me a little bit, here, with this file as an example.

UserPostedImage

Obviously I know where the head, body, legs, and feet, and arm are, but what the hell are the other 2?
And on that note, there are others that look completely different than this one. When I make my own, how the heck do I know where to put everything? How large should they be? Are they supposed to be that close together?
What even?

Offline Rrtaya_tsamsiyu  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:35:04 PM(UTC)
Rrtaya_tsamsiyu
Colonel
United States

i'm guessing the other thing is his gun. i've never used .dds, i've always used .tga files. From what i understand though, the .dds files are basically multiple images mashed together, and the .dds file remembers which images are which so the game can use them individually. i think.
one soul at a time
thanks 1 user thanked Rrtaya_tsamsiyu for this useful post.
UTD^Force on 11/20/2014(UTC)
Offline CaeDares  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 1:09:19 PM(UTC)
CaeDares
Captain
United States

Originally Posted by: Rrtaya_tsamsiyu Go to Quoted Post
i'm guessing the other thing is his gun. i've never used .dds, i've always used .tga files. From what i understand though, the .dds files are basically multiple images mashed together, and the .dds file remembers which images are which so the game can use them individually. i think.

Okay, so you say they're multiple images mashed together. Am I supposed to be making separate images before doing this?
Also, this is a .tga file originally. I only converted it to .png so that I could post it here.

Offline Rrtaya_tsamsiyu  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:53:30 PM(UTC)
Rrtaya_tsamsiyu
Colonel
United States

hmm. i'm really not sure how the dds is different than tga then, also dont know how it sees what needs to go where. i always use individual tga textures though.
one soul at a time
Offline CommieDog  
#11 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2014 10:27:52 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 130 post(s)
The DDS format is essentially a compressed form of TGA. The big difference is that the DDS format stores smaller versions of the main image (called mip maps) for faster drawing at low resolutions.
UserPostedImage
CommieDog: Because someone has to do your dirty work for you
thanks 3 users thanked CommieDog for this useful post.
Rrtaya_tsamsiyu on 11/20/2014(UTC), UTD^Force on 11/21/2014(UTC), CaeDares on 11/21/2014(UTC)
Offline Gameanater  
#12 Posted : Friday, November 21, 2014 7:32:03 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 144 post(s)
cnclabs forums wrote:
3 users thanked CommieDog for this useful post.
Rrtaya_Tsamsiyu on 11/20/2014, UTD^Force on 11/21/2014, CaeDares on 11/21/2014

Now that's not something you see every day.

Edited by user Friday, November 21, 2014 7:33:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
Offline UTD^Force  
#13 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2014 3:57:24 AM(UTC)
UTD^Force
Colonel
Jordan

Was thanked: 184 time(s) in 168 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gameanater Go to Quoted Post
cnclabs forums wrote:
3 users thanked CommieDog for this useful post.
Rrtaya_Tsamsiyu on 11/20/2014, UTD^Force on 11/21/2014, CaeDares on 11/21/2014

Now that's not something you see every day.

Yes, I actually thank any post that I see useful, even if I already know it :) & he's CommieDog :P xD
Proud Muslim

UTD^Force

Moderator and former map reviewer
CnC Labs
Offline Gameanater  
#14 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2014 11:56:00 AM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 144 post(s)
Originally Posted by: UTD^Force Go to Quoted Post
Yes, I actually thank any post that I see useful, even if I already know it :) & he's CommieDog :P xD

lol

Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
Offline menard  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:40:18 AM(UTC)
menard
Major
Philippines

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CommieDog Go to Quoted Post
The DDS format is essentially a compressed form of TGA. The big difference is that the DDS format stores smaller versions of the main image (called mip maps) for faster drawing at low resolutions.

excuse me sir what is diffuse color mean in Material Navigator?I extract the textures.big using finalbig.exe but all image files are in .dds file extension format. But how could the game engine recognize dds file extension? While in RenX the bitmap textures is in .tga files.
Offline CommieDog  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:43:17 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

I think that diffuse color is the regular color channel. It's the only color channel that Generals uses.

As for the game engine recognizing the DDS format, it's essentially a compressed form of TGA. You could save the skins in TGA format and Generals would read it just fine, though it might run a little slower depending on your graphics card setup.
UserPostedImage
Offline menard  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:15:49 PM(UTC)
menard
Major
Philippines

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CommieDog Go to Quoted Post
I think that diffuse color is the regular color channel. It's the only color channel that Generals uses.

As for the game engine recognizing the DDS format, it's essentially a compressed form of TGA. You could save the skins in TGA format and Generals would read it just fine, though it might run a little slower depending on your graphics card setup.

Okay sir now how to generate or make an mipmaps in my new textures and what software should i use to do that?
Offline CommieDog  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:49:56 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
United States

You don't have to worry about making mip maps. Photoshop or whatever you use to save the DDS file should make them for you.
UserPostedImage
Offline CaeDares  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2014 9:51:48 AM(UTC)
CaeDares
Captain
United States

Im a little confused on how creating these texture files is done. Could anybody here provide a tutorial explaining how to do so and how it works? Would be much easier than trying to explain it all in several different posts.

Offline CommieDog  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 26, 2014 5:02:49 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
United States

Making a TGA texture is easy. Just make something in an image editing program and save it as a TGA file.

Making a DDS texture is trickier. You'll have to find a program that can save in DDS format (I think Photoshop can with a plugin from Nvidia). And you'll have to make sure that the dimensions are both powers of 2.
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user thanked CommieDog for this useful post.
UTD^Force on 11/27/2014(UTC)