Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline WarlockX_X  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 8:35:47 AM(UTC)
WarlockX_X
Private

I have been trying to play around with having infantry have laser rifles but I am stumped on shorting the length of a laser beam and thinner. I increased the delay between shots to give it that round look but its at 1000 ms just to create the gap and as for the thickness I have not had luck on it as well.

I was playing around with the weapon object: Object AvengerLaserBeam

Code:
Object AvengerLaserBeam
  ; *** ART Parameters ***
  Draw = W3DLaserDraw ModuleTag_01
     Texture = EXLaser4.tga
    NumBeams = 4                              ;Number of overlapping cylinders that make the beam. 1 beam will just use inner data.
    InnerBeamWidth = 0.005                    ;The total width of beam
    InnerColor = R:100 G:0 B:0 A:0          ;The inside color of the laser (hot)
    OuterBeamWidth = 15                       ;The total width of beam
    OuterColor = R:100 G:0 B:0 A:0            ;The outside color of the laser (cool)
    Tile = No                                ;The height of the texture will determine how many times to tile the texture to fit without scaling.
    ScrollRate = -2500                        ;Scrolls the texture offset this fast -- towards(-) away(+)
    Segments = 1                              ;Number of segments -- more segments give smoother curve (but more joints) Current max: 20
    SegmentOverlapRatio = 0                   ;This value overlaps(+) or separates(-) the segments by ratio
    TilingScalar = -10                         ;Stretches tiling if value > 1.0, otherwise shrinks it (1.0 is natural)     

MaxIntensityLifetime = .5              ;Laser stays at max intensity for specified time in ms.
    FadeLifetime = .125                         ;Laser will fade and delete.
    ;@todo -- add shot ability functionality (instead of instant point A to B)
  End

KindOf = IMMOBILE INERT
  Geometry = Sphere
  GeometryIsSmall = Yes
  GeometryMajorRadius = 1.0
  ClientUpdate = LaserUpdate ModuleTag_07
    MuzzleParticleSystem = PaladinPointDefenseLaserFlare
    TargetParticleSystem = AvengerStarburst
 ;   PunchThroughScalar = 1.3 ; If our target dies, we get this much bigger so it looks like we punched through
  End

Behavior = DestroyDie ModuleTag_03
    ;nothing
  End
((Thought giving the lifetime would shorten the beam))
  Behavior = LifetimeUpdate ModuleTag_04
    MinLifetime = 5   ; min lifetime in msec
    MaxLifetime = 5   ; max lifetime in msec
  End
End
Sponsor
Offline CaeDares  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 9:02:44 AM(UTC)
CaeDares
Captain
United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Not sure how to fix your problem because I haven't really gone into the text editing field yet, but I'm pretty sure that MinLifetime and MaxLifetime is just how long the Beam stays on the screen before it fades out and disappears.

Maybe OuterWidthBeam needs to be made smaller for your width problem.

What does it look like in game? Does the beam go entirely through the unit or something?
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

I may not be available between November 22nd and December 4th due to travelling. If you require my assistance, please Private Message me
thanks 1 user thanked CaeDares for this useful post.
CommieDog on 10/25/2014(UTC)
Offline CommieDog  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 1:09:47 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 130 post(s)
CaeDares is right about OuterWidthBeam. Lower values make for thinner lasers.

For length, lasers are drawn as long as they need to be to extend from the attacker to the target. I'm not sure what you mean by shortening it.

I'm not sure what you mean by roundness. Do you want your laser to make an arc instead of a straight line?
UserPostedImage
CommieDog: Because someone has to do your dirty work for you
Offline WarlockX_X  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 2:16:34 PM(UTC)
WarlockX_X
Private

Originally Posted by: CommieDog Go to Quoted Post
CaeDares is right about OuterWidthBeam. Lower values make for thinner lasers.

For length, lasers are drawn as long as they need to be to extend from the attacker to the target. I'm not sure what you mean by shortening it.

I'm not sure what you mean by roundness. Do you want your laser to make an arc instead of a straight line?

Like the rifles/machineguns in Starwars or modeling a projectile object the only way?
Offline Gameanater  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 2:53:46 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 144 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WarlockX_X Go to Quoted Post
like the rifles/machineguns in Starwars or modeling a projectile object the only way?

Blasters.

If you're trying to go with that, I'd just go with the Heroic Red Tracers that already exist.
Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
thanks 1 user thanked Gameanater for this useful post.
CommieDog on 10/25/2014(UTC)
Offline CaeDares  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 6:47:54 PM(UTC)
CaeDares
Captain
United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Quote:
For length, lasers are drawn as long as they need to be to extend from the attacker to the target.

I figured this was it but I didn't want to say so and sound stupid. Thanks for clarifying.

But yeah, that basically solves your problem unless you meant something else. Changed OuterWidthBeam and see if it solves your problem, other than that, the beam shouldn't go anywhere but to the target that you select to be slain.
Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.

I may not be available between November 22nd and December 4th due to travelling. If you require my assistance, please Private Message me