Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline JoshZemlinsky  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:18:14 AM(UTC)
JoshZemlinsky
Captain

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Hello everyone, since i am new here i guess i'll say good day to all.

Anyways, I've been working on a map in World Builder for about a week. After finishing V1 i decided to make it larger, mostly to add abit more balance and allow the AI to build more freely.

So i went ahead to grab the border and resize it, however at this point i was unaware of the fact that only one end of the border has an anchor point. So i accidentally made a new border, at this point i just tucked it away hoping it would cause no problem.

Now there is a gap in my memory, but somehow i got hold of the original orange border and threw it to the corner as i had done with all the other borders(took me a while to realize there was no anchor point), i realized this was possibly a mistake so i tried pulling it back out, getting another orange bother, thinking it was the original one.

At this point i had no idea what the additional borders meant, nor did i realize that it would duplicate them with the same colors.
Few days later, expansion is done, i load it up ingame, and all i get is a tiny strip of the map.
At this point i realized where i had gone wrong, and i tried EVERYTHING i could to fix it. But to no avail, when i try to drag the borders i had tucked away in the corner, nothing happens, or it just makes a new one.

At this point i kinda lost it, as i thought all my hard work had gone lost. I did however find a temporary fix, which meant the map would switch the active border, this would do as a permanent fix if it was not for all the problems it brings.
i.e player views are offset to the position of the original border, and the map is completely shrouded.

To show case exactly what i mean, here is an image of where my borders went:
Border location
The cyan one is the new active border, and if the old orange one has not been completely removed, it is beneath about 30 other borders (I got desperate, and Worldbuilder autosaves alot)

So far i rely on scripts to make it work, however i realized these would only do when playing against AI. (such as moving the player's view to a start location, and removing the black shroud)
I did find the "reveal whole map" script and thought it would help, altho it did not and i guess it's either bugged or i am doing something wrong. I had it set to reveal for local player, did not work, i only got it to work by having it active for <this player's enemy>
Altho that seems to overwrite all AI scripts, so that is no solution.

Sorry for the overly long message, anyways, for those of you who read through it, i hope there will be some help to find.

Thank you in advance :)

Edited by user Saturday, April 19, 2014 7:18:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Offline i^love^mixery  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:08:15 PM(UTC)
i^love^mixery
Colonel

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 147 post(s)
Upload the map and I will see what I can do.

But don't get your hopes too high. Went through this some years ago and ended up removing the map, but I might find a way to fix it now.
Offline JoshZemlinsky  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 1:26:24 PM(UTC)
JoshZemlinsky
Captain

Originally Posted by: i^love^mixery Go to Quoted Post
Upload the map and I will see what I can do.

But don't get your hopes too high. Went through this some years ago and ended up removing the map, but I might find a way to fix it now.

Hey, and thanks. I will throw it on Dropbox.
And my hopes of ever fixing this has been lost completely, so if you do manage to find a way that would be like a miracle.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v28d2st1573czns/Bootcamp.zip

Also, don't judge my poor mapping skills, this is my first ever attempt at doing a 'serious' map. It wasn't made with any sketches in mind, all i wanted was that fort and then everything else came later. Some of the blend is really bad aswell, this i will look into later tho.

Last note, you may get missing objects, the map was made for use in a mod that i play quite alot, but from my previous experiences this shouldn't be a problem.
Offline i^love^mixery  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:32:47 PM(UTC)
i^love^mixery
Colonel

You lucky bastard lol.

I turned the map compression off (Edit -> Edit Map Settings -> Compression), created a new blank map, copied that empty map, removed the border on one version, saved both files, took a look at them with a HEX Editor on hexadecimal level and compared both versions and applied the differences to your map.

http://s14.directupload....ages/140410/wmnfyx67.png

I am surpised myself that it worked.

Bet you will be more cautious the next time you use the border tool.

Edited by user Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:40:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Bootcamp.zip (160kb) downloaded 23 time(s).
Offline JoshZemlinsky  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:21:20 PM(UTC)
JoshZemlinsky
Captain

You lucky bastard lol.

I turned the map compression off (Edit -> Edit Map Settings -> Compression), created a new blank map, copied that empty map, removed the border on one version, saved both files, took a look at them with a HEX Editor on hexadecimal level and compared both versions and applied the differences to your map.

http://s14.directupload....ages/140410/wmnfyx67.png

I am surpised myself that it worked.

Bet you will be more cautious the next time you use the border tool.

Thank you so much sir! :)

I really appreciate it!
And yeah i will be more cautious, this is a very tedious problem to have. Again thank you :D

EDIT:

Also, i had another little something i'd like to ask about, altho it's unrelated to the topic of this thread. It's about exporting scripts.

Edited by user Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:47:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline zero hour mad map maker  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2014 6:23:55 AM(UTC)
zero hour mad map maker
Colonel
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
Canada

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 119 post(s)
I was gonna say you can also simply just do this........

*** IF ***
True.
*** THEN ***
Boundary Cyan becomes the active border.

Then you're done.
Ready for Anything! --- C&C Labs Staff , Maps Staff , Moderator
Offline i^love^mixery  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2014 7:44:30 AM(UTC)
i^love^mixery
Colonel

ZHMMM, he already did that but it screwed up the fog of war. I restored the default border so he doesn't have to do that anymore. Maybe I will create a tutorial to teach people how to do that.

JoshZemlinsky feel free to ask your question about script import/export.
Offline JoshZemlinsky  
#8 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2014 10:13:01 AM(UTC)
JoshZemlinsky
Captain

ZHMMM, he already did that but it screwed up the fog of war. I restored the default border so he doesn't have to do that anymore. Maybe I will create a tutorial to teach people how to do that.

@ZHMMM I already did that, as mixery mentioned, however it turned the fog of war into black shroud, i.e. what you get on some missions. And the camera was always thrown to the corner of the map, however i used a script (would not work with 2 human players) that put the camera back.

Anyways, basically i love playing around with the SkirmishScripts file, and altering the AI. I am currently playing a mod quite alot which introduces serval new features. But alot of these are unused by the AI, and i can spent many hours setting up AIs to build new types of defenses and units.
However, not so long ago i ran into a problem, when i export the script it only seems to save the 'scripts' part of the thing, and not the "teams" of units the AI builds. From what i can tell it doesn't write it, and it just seems to export the teams that it was imported with.

I thought i found a soltuion, which was to copy one of the teams, delete the old one, and rename the copy. Then not overwrite the imported script. This worked for quite sometime, untill yesterday, where it just would not export the alterations to the teams. I also found that when saving my 'script' map (I am too lazy to reimport it everytime) it only saves the teams, but not the new/edited scripts.
From that point on, it seems to only work when it feels like it. I am curious if you know why this happens, or got any suggestions, let me know.

Again thanks, for fixing the map, it means alot Smile
Offline zero hour mad map maker  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2014 2:05:39 PM(UTC)
zero hour mad map maker
Colonel
Canada

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Ah, well I didn't see that in your post, sorry.
Ready for Anything! --- C&C Labs Staff , Maps Staff , Moderator
Offline JoshZemlinsky  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 11, 2014 2:27:54 PM(UTC)
JoshZemlinsky
Captain

Originally Posted by: Zero Hour Mad Map Maker Go to Quoted Post
Ah, well I didn't see that in your post, sorry.

Haha, i can understand that.. It's one large wall of text. Usually i tend to go too much in detail when describing a problem.. Wink
Offline synergi  
#11 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:03:55 AM(UTC)
synergi
Private

I got the same problem - everything just turned pitch black on my map. Something must have happened.
Those borders are killing every map I am trying to make. I didnt mingle with them, just resized the border to fit the resizing and it all worked fine afterwards. Now, I got like a tons of orange borders up, I dont understand how they work? I can go on forever, finding orange borders and size them up to the upper right corner? One of them must be the active on, right?

No way to eliminate borders completely? Nuke them to the Saturn, maybe? :)

Edited by user Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:08:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Gameanater  
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2014 10:41:08 AM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Was thanked: 166 time(s) in 144 post(s)
Dude.... That map of yours.... IS AMAZING.
Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
Offline JoshZemlinsky  
#13 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2014 2:22:56 PM(UTC)
JoshZemlinsky
Captain

Originally Posted by: Gameanater Go to Quoted Post
Dude.... That map of yours.... IS AMAZING.

Well thanks, not sure what to say Blush
It isn't my absolute first map, but it's the first one where i tried to make a 'serious' map. It's done now btw, few changes and adjustments were made since the one i uploaded for Mixery.
Sadly it's abit unbalanced, and there are other problems.. I played it with my brother today, and defending the fort is almost too easy. Some shorter ranged units when ontop of the fort, can actually outrange artillery, and often the terrain seems to confuse units causing difficulties when ordered to attack.

But it does look nice(i think lol) but not so good in practice.
Offline synergi  
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:37:48 AM(UTC)
synergi
Private

It really does look good. How about expanding it into an 8-player map with several enemies on hard coming at you, then? Or a similar position with the opponent on a mountain for hours of stomp.
PCs of today should be able to take 800x800 maps, or bigger.
Offline JoshZemlinsky  
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:21:20 AM(UTC)
JoshZemlinsky
Captain

Originally Posted by: synergi Go to Quoted Post
It really does look good. How about expanding it into an 8-player map with several enemies on hard coming at you, then? Or a similar position with the opponent on a mountain for hours of stomp.
PCs of today should be able to take 800x800 maps, or bigger.

The main reason i made it so small, is because i have an easier time focusing on things, and what i want to do.
Plus i didn't want the project to start out taking over a month to finish lol.

But i may continue to expand it, i actually had an idea to make it abit bigger for a 3 man fight.
Offline Gameanater  
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 9:46:24 AM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Prehaps the hard AI should be on the right side and the players on the fort?
btw, can you upload it?
Any old friends still on here can add me on discord @jcdenton2187. I'm far more likely to respond there.
Offline JoshZemlinsky  
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 1:00:01 PM(UTC)
JoshZemlinsky
Captain

Originally Posted by: Gameanater Go to Quoted Post
Prehaps the hard AI should be on the right side and the players on the fort?
btw, can you upload it?

I always start on the Fort, it is currently too small for AI players. Infact it was designed for use by a player.

And sure, here's the current version:
Download

I fixed a few of the miss blend tiles, also the map hasn't been properly tested for Zero Hour, but feel free to make the necessary changes. Smile
thanks 1 user thanked JoshZemlinsky for this useful post.
Gameanater on 4/13/2014(UTC)
Offline Gameanater  
#18 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:22:12 PM(UTC)
Gameanater
General
United States

Aweshumn...

Hope you don't mind, but I went in and added a few things... More hazards, and capturable buildings. The left side can easily defend and the right side can easily attack...
However, I don't have your mod so I ended up having to do the Replace Missing Unit thing, so you might find a few out-of-place-looking things in the map. :P But I did make all the phone booths garrisonable! In a sense.

I tried to add a team of cars/hazards that moves throughout the city... But they for some reason wouldn't move an inch... Strange, 'cause I've done this before... Maybe you can figure it out. lol :P

Edited by user Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:23:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Forgot attachment

File Attachment(s):
Bootcamp Gameanater Edit buggy.zip (165kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
Offline i^love^mixery  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 12:43:31 AM(UTC)
i^love^mixery
Colonel

Originally Posted by: JoshZemlinsky Go to Quoted Post

@ZHMMM I already did that, as mixery mentioned, however it turned the fog of war into black shroud, i.e. what you get on some missions. And the camera was always thrown to the corner of the map, however i used a script (would not work with 2 human players) that put the camera back.

Anyways, basically i love playing around with the SkirmishScripts file, and altering the AI. I am currently playing a mod quite alot which introduces serval new features. But alot of these are unused by the AI, and i can spent many hours setting up AIs to build new types of defenses and units.
However, not so long ago i ran into a problem, when i export the script it only seems to save the 'scripts' part of the thing, and not the "teams" of units the AI builds. From what i can tell it doesn't write it, and it just seems to export the teams that it was imported with.

I thought i found a soltuion, which was to copy one of the teams, delete the old one, and rename the copy. Then not overwrite the imported script. This worked for quite sometime, untill yesterday, where it just would not export the alterations to the teams. I also found that when saving my 'script' map (I am too lazy to reimport it everytime) it only saves the teams, but not the new/edited scripts.
From that point on, it seems to only work when it feels like it. I am curious if you know why this happens, or got any suggestions, let me know.

Again thanks, for fixing the map, it means alot Smile

Not sure what you mean with the rename team part. Never faced any issues like that. You are aware that you can select what you want to export, right? Are you sure that teams have been selected for the export?

If the error is reproducible without mods, you should send me some example map + .scb file. But since I have never seen anything like that, I'd guess that it is the fault of that mod of yours.
Offline JoshZemlinsky  
#20 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 5:17:06 AM(UTC)
JoshZemlinsky
Captain

@I*love*Mixery

As for the 'rename a team' what i did is copy a team within the team builder, lets say a team called "Capture Tech Buildings" then it copies it under the name "Capture Tech Buildings. 1" then i deleted the old one, and renamed the copy to "Capture Tech Buildings" this seemed to fix the problem with the team alterations not being exported.
No idea why this actually worked a couple of times... Looking back at it now, it doesn't make any sense. But it worked.

Picture

As for what it exports, it should be right i assume.
Picture2

Well i am fully confident that it is right lol, otherwise i guess it would never export any teams...

Annnd you are most likely right that the mod is at fault, i just tried to revert to Zero Hour's world builder, and now exporting the same script, there are no problems. The team alterations are indeed being exported.
Well i guess that's case closed. Still sad such a problem exsist, oh well, i suppose that's what i get for not staying vanilla haha Big Smile

Thanks anyways.

@Gameanater

Haha, alright. I will go take a look at it shortly. The map actually doesn't use anything that isn't already in Zero Hour, just so happens the mod has thrown the objects locations abit around.

As for making cars and stuff move around, i thought about adding that aswell. However i've had problems getting it to work in the past. So i doubt i can now xD But i will look at it.

EDIT:

After taking a look at it, i am not really sure what you've been trying to do xD
It looks like a huge mess to me haha.. Anyways, your way of making cars move is different to what i used to do. I found this tutorial but never used it more then a couple of times, didn't always work.

Edited by user Monday, April 14, 2014 5:29:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified