Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DavidHerron  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 6, 2020 2:19:59 PM(UTC)
DavidHerron
Private

Hi I have enjoyed easily and seamlessly making INI edits to zero our and zero hour mods for a decade.
I understand it very well.
HOW EVER I am reaching out for help regarding something known as a .GIB file.
I have encountered this .GIB INI instead of the familiar .BIG

I have the ROTR (rise of the reds mod and it launches by its own launcher)
I have a theory that the launcher reads the .GIB files and then compiles them back to .BIG INI to run the game while not interfering with the vanilla version.
The huge problem is that If i open and edit these .GIB files even just to change the camera set height for example, I do not think I am saving them back as .GIB and they are saved as .BIG thus making them unreadable for the launcher.

Another Huge problem is that even though I can Open and edit these .GIB files using a range of software including Final big/ note pad/note ad plus/ OS editor.
once I save the changes it crashes the game.

I may just need a link to a software that can open edit and save .GIB or I may be doing something wrong.
I am confused because even IF I change nothing and just delete and the replace a single letter of description text after I save the game crashes at launch.

In the past I have easily opened INI files for this mod and edited it no problem but this is the final new release and something has changed.
I would appreciate any advice.

best regards

Sponsor
Offline AdrianeMapMaker  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2020 9:08:41 AM(UTC)
AdrianeMapMaker
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
Philippines

Was thanked: 185 time(s) in 149 post(s)
You can save the file name same as the GIB name your editing with --

so to speak - the launcher will detect it if it has the same name even with different file format --

just save it as big and let the launcher change its file format once you launch the game

Anyways remove the one with GIB format and leave the BIG one (the one you edited)
A part of ZH worldbuilders map making community
https://discord.gg/tJ6zyGb

UserPostedImage

Offline DavidHerron  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2020 7:10:54 PM(UTC)
DavidHerron
Private

Okay thanks I will try this.
thanks for your help.
just some back round I own 3 versions of C&C GEN ZERO 8 discs in total. And one Origin digital newer license.
BUT despite 7 years of complete BS I have not been able to get any of them to Run on this (newer PC) for reason,s that we may never know.
So since I hold 3 licenses I decided to download a cracked and self installing version as a last ditch effort a few months ago and guess what (of course it runs first time -_-)

Do you think this may also be causing a problem.
To run rise of the reds I had to change the install path But I also have to RUN the game as Administrator or it will not launch.
just figured that it might be something to do with permissions.
Its *censored*ty as modding C&C INI is supposed to be as easy as play school compared to the complex files i edit on War game air land battle lol
Offline AdrianeMapMaker  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2020 7:44:21 AM(UTC)
AdrianeMapMaker
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
Philippines

Was thanked: 185 time(s) in 149 post(s)
join in to my discord and i tell you something different that will change your view -

my discord is below this post

A part of ZH worldbuilders map making community
https://discord.gg/tJ6zyGb

UserPostedImage