Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Kang Rusa  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 12:35:57 AM(UTC)
Kang Rusa
Private
Indonesia

Hi, I'm new to C&C Modding and I've just been trying stuff out, so I want to ask a few things:

1. Is it okay to mod a mod? I'm planning to make a ZH version with elements from various mods, including new factions and units.

2. How does one add a new faction? I've read the guide on making a new general for an existing faction, but I haven't seen one about making a new faction.

3. Where can I find someone who is good at programming and making models/graphics and willing to help with my little project?

Thanks in advance, have a nice day :)
Sponsor
Offline klingondragon  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 5:53:28 AM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
United Kingdom
Location: Laniakea; Virgo Supercluster; Local Sheet; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion–Cygnus Arm; Gould Belt; Local Bubble; Local Interstellar Cloud; Sol System; Sol III; Europe; United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland; Great Britain; England; Essex

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
1: yes, but if you directly use code or other elements of a mod you should either ask their permission first or give them credit in your mod's information page(s)

2: I have a tutorial for making a new general. Creating a faction is exactly the same. the game doesn't differentiate between generals and factions in skirmish mode. If you want to create a new faction you can just follow the tutorial as it is. the only changes to make are in the building design files, but you'll need to have the models before you can change the code anyway.

3: I can make 2d art (faction icons, buttons, etc.) but I can't make models for you.

thanks 1 user thanked klingondragon for this useful post.
UTD^Force on 9/15/2018(UTC)
Offline Zatsupachi  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 10:25:10 AM(UTC)
Zatsupachi
Major

Was thanked: 213 time(s) in 155 post(s)
1) Destructive Forces(A mod of the Reborn Mod, old example), Shockwave Chaos(A mod of the Shockwave Mod, newer example) do this with respect and permission of the original modders.

2) You need only two things[sic]: You need an entry in PlayerTemplate.ini

and you need a entry on ChallengeMode.ini
there's an example there too, just take any of the unused entries.

Though that's the only two things you need, you actually also need a commandbar, you can see examples in CommandBarScheme.ini

3) I'd be willing to do all of that. But like, I have too many things to juggle at this point, so no.
The modding community for this mod is hit-and-miss, you can go look in a more active community than this.
"It's precision_bomber."

Death Label HAS BEEN RELEASED(go get v0.99):
http://www.moddb.com/mod...oads/death-label-ver-099

Next Episode:
precision_bomber's Zero Hour SCIENCE!
thanks 1 user thanked Zatsupachi for this useful post.
Offline klingondragon  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 11:59:51 AM(UTC)
klingondragon
General
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberMaps Staff: Maps Staff Member
United Kingdom
Location: Laniakea; Virgo Supercluster; Local Sheet; Local Group; Milky Way Galaxy; Orion–Cygnus Arm; Gould Belt; Local Bubble; Local Interstellar Cloud; Sol System; Sol III; Europe; United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland; Great Britain; England; Essex

Was thanked: 247 time(s) in 217 post(s)
You don't need to edit ChallengeMode.ini . You only need to edit that file if you want to create a challenge mode campaign for your general. Player Template and Control Bar are the only files that MUST be edited to create a new faction/general. (but you should also create a new CC and dozer/worker for your general else they'd just be a clone of an existing one).
thanks 1 user thanked klingondragon for this useful post.
Offline Kang Rusa  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2019 9:44:20 AM(UTC)
Kang Rusa
Private
Indonesia

So let's say I decide to port RotR's Russia and EU to vanilla zero hour. How do I make sure the buildings and units are the right ones instead of the ones that already exist?
Offline Zatsupachi  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 11:12:09 AM(UTC)
Zatsupachi
Major

Was thanked: 213 time(s) in 155 post(s)
I mean, assuming RotR's new factions can be plug-and-played(no dependencies from other factions), you can just copy-paste the code over to vanilla ZH. But make sure to do all of it, which is the hard part because you have to scour the code for potential "new thins" added.

Why don't you just mod RotR by adding the vanilla ZH subfactions? I'm p-sure most of the subfactions/generals are plug-and-playable. You'll just have to re-enable them in PlayerTemplate.

Edited by user Friday, January 25, 2019 11:13:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"It's precision_bomber."

Death Label HAS BEEN RELEASED(go get v0.99):
http://www.moddb.com/mod...oads/death-label-ver-099

Next Episode:
precision_bomber's Zero Hour SCIENCE!