Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zarqawi  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2019 11:22:41 PM(UTC)
Zarqawi
Private

Greetings, i've just watched 2016 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi and trying to create a replica map. so far, i have tested few mods for zero hour and decided to use the end of the day version mod (the detail of soldier surpass any other mod out there). its not finished yet, though i try as best as i could to make the detail as closest to the movie.

the map was based on kandahar base, and its going to be 1 AI vs 2 (player + AI) [simmiliar with Anshar Al-Sharia vs US + 17th Feb Brigade]
however, im still learning for scripting, and i kinda need your help guys.

i want to create the script that :
-before starting game, a cinematic that shows how the US Diplomatic Outpost were attack by GLA mob
-US ammbassador is dead, and being paraded in the city.
-after that, cinematic that explain the whole situation, and how dangerous for people in the CIA Annex
-i also wondered if i could change the time from evening, to night, to afternoon in the cinematic and when game start
-game start after the cinematic ended

also, i kinda need some constructive opinion and help finishing some detail of the map

please help me, and i shall give the credit to those whoever help me when its release

here's the screenshot of the map.

CIA Annex Based on Movie

CIA Annex TEOD CnC ZH

US Diplomatic Outpost based on movie

US Diplomatic Outpost TEOD CnC ZH
Sponsor
Offline SkyMix_RMT  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2019 3:33:01 AM(UTC)
SkyMix_RMT
Major
Portugal

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 96 post(s)
If you want to learn scripting, you should start with smaller projects. Crrate test maps that use the scripts so you understand how they work exactly and then apply that to your map, if you still have trouble with that then you should ask for help. You should also explore other maps to see what scripts you need etc.

You can't change map time of day, you would need multiple maps if you want to achieve that.
Check out:

My Music (Techno/House/Experimental)

My Website (GeneralsCentral)

My Youtube Channel (Inactive)

World Builder Community Discord
Offline Commander Newgate  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2019 9:29:19 AM(UTC)
Commander Newgate
Private
Indonesia

If you want to make a text string in your map that describes what is going on, you will need to make a str file. There are a few tutorials online that show you how to link them to the game. Speeches where people speak are also another good way to add the right atmosphere to your mission.

Many of us are very good at Cinematic Scenes, but they take a lot of work to perfect. Judging by your screen shots you are a very creative person when it comes to world building. It does not take long to learn how to make advanced scripts, especially when you have experienced users to help you. Your Intro seems simple enough and easy to make. Making a GLA army attack a US outpost and doing camera positions will be no problem. Then afterwards you pan over the scenery describing the current situation with display strings. Unfortunately Skymix is right about there being no way to change the time of day in game.

If you need more help send me a message and I can assist with some of these things.
Now hiring playtesters for my GLA Mission 1
The Bridge
PM me and I will add you to our Discord Group

Coming soon in a server near you:
Carrier Commandos
a Chinese battle out at sea
Offline i^love^mixery  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 13, 2019 5:05:35 PM(UTC)
i^love^mixery
Colonel

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 147 post(s)
A few things:

Sky is right, this is an absolute monster to get going for a first project, even with help you will end up having others do most of the work, if you happen to find someone who is willing to put so much enegery into a stranger's map.

What I think is the biggest challenge is to get a working and fun mission going in a location based on a movie or from reallife, because both things work against each other. A realistic battlefield will not work with the given game mechanics. And with the given game mechanics you can't create a realistic battlefield. Or well, you can, but it easily ten-folds the workload for you and it requires a certain artistic skill, which I personally do not have.

To answer your question, you cannot change the actual time-of-day. However, you can make the map use daylight and use a script to fade-to-black, which will sort-of look like night. Afaik this has never been done before and is actually a very nice idea for future projects (self-note to brain).

You should definitely start with some small-scale fun map.

You can check other projects to see how they have been done. Don't start with official maps to learn from, those are absolute beasts with hundreds and hundreds of scripts and thousands and thousands of objects and waypoints.

You can check out this recent topic: http://www.cnclabs.com/f...w-Zero-Hour-Mission.aspx

The scripts from that map are quite simple to understand and there are not too many.

And lastly, I would highly recommend you not to use a mod. Well, at the end of the day it is your decision, but please note that not many players will take the time to install a specific mod for the sole purpose of playing this one map.

Edited by user Sunday, January 13, 2019 5:07:24 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked i^love^mixery for this useful post.
SkyMix_RMT on 1/13/2019(UTC), Commander Newgate on 1/13/2019(UTC)