Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Deinon  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2018 9:40:56 PM(UTC)
Deinon
Captain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I had purchased C&C The First Decade and installed it on my old desktop computer, but while it has served me faithfully, the poor thing is ten years old. I got a new gaming laptop (HP Omen with Windows 10), but I’m not able to install again from CD as it has no CD drive.

I copied the Generals and Zero Hour folders from Program Files (x86) on my old computer to the laptop, and Generals (surprisingly!) plays just fine, but the Zero Hour main menu screen shows all textures as purple and crashes with a serious error when I try to start a mission.

I already went through in Regedit and duplicated everything under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Electronic Arts\EA Games for Zero Hour, Generals, and The First Decade, but it didn’t resolve the issue. I directly copied the contents of my Zero Hour Data folder, including the Options.ini file and all of my custom maps I’m hoping to preserve. I’m running in compatibility mode for XP Service Pack 3. No dice. It seems like Zero Hour just can’t find the assets from the original Generals.

Would anyone know what I might be missing? I’d appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Edited by user Thursday, October 4, 2018 9:48:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Offline Deinon  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2018 1:12:34 AM(UTC)
Deinon
Captain

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I was able to resolve this issue by creating images of my original installation DVDs in a Linux environment using the dd command, moving the ISO files over to my laptop and mounting them there. The laptop treated the images as though I had inserted a DVD, followed the prompts to re-enter my product keys and the reinstallation went off without a hitch, mods and all.

If I can just figure out now how to get the original Red Alert to stop complaining about needing a CD inserted to play, I’ll be golden. :)