Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline queengambit  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 9:11:53 PM(UTC)
queengambit
Private

SC2 ingame1

Plan:
- To create a Skirmish Map that is inspired by Zero Hour by implementing subfactions and game mechanics.
- To seek mod gamers who wants to discuss theory and ideas.

Not my plan:
- Trying to gain money or popularity. I don't wish to gain any money nor even setup some kind of kickstarter or donation button. I know this is a very specific request that won't draw that many people in, but those few people will be valuable to me.
- Trying to solicit Starcraft 2. CNC Labs members do not need to install or think about any other game. I've sought this forum out to speak with anyone who likes to discuss different tweak ideas on RTS games.
- Trying to argue what is best game balance for the project. The project will be an ongoing activity where I try out different unit stats, buildings and ideas.

About me:
Although I haven't participated in any CNC online community, I have always enjoyed CNC ever since it came out. My family had a Windows 95 computer with CNC. I would play the MS-DOS version mode and intentionally not finish levels just to create fun Jurassic Park worlds (I would pretend harvesters were dinosaurs and divide entire maps with fences).
I remember a 1999 angel fire website that had a CNC mod I installed. It took literally several hours on my 14.4k modem to download. The creator changed the start menu to that had the title of the mod in a Nuclear bright green colour. It had like 2 custom units. That blew my mind back in the day lol...

Why post here, this isn't a Starcraft forum!
- I decided to seek out CNC gamers after I started replaying the entire CNC games (I'm at Zero Hour now).
- I will look for other online communities who enjoy modding and even try out other RTS games out there.
- I'm currently presenting this to Starcraft forums... with no expectations. The reason being is that the Starcraft custom map community is enjoying heavily modded complicated games such as League of Legend games, PvE base zombie survival, story driven RPG map adventures, etc.

Conclusion:
I want to establish a CNC thread where I can discuss possible ideas for this mod project and receive different opinions on stats changes, buildings, units, etc. Active CNC members are not required to download and install anything.
SC ingame2

Edited by user Thursday, May 28, 2015 9:12:53 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Offline Rrtaya_tsamsiyu  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2015 1:01:18 PM(UTC)
Rrtaya_tsamsiyu
Colonel
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Seems cool. im not sure how much any of us know about modding Starcraft though
one soul at a time
Offline queengambit  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2015 4:28:57 PM(UTC)
queengambit
Private

Originally Posted by: Rrtaya_tsamsiyu Go to Quoted Post
Seems cool. im not sure how much any of us know about modding Starcraft though

yup and that is okay. I'm expecting that most of you guys haven't play Starcraft 2 and probably won't and I respect that. This opportunity was revealed to me when I saw active members here still posting about creating tweaks and balance changes after their game release many years ago.

What I'm doing so far:
I have been reading and documenting raw concepts and ideas. I think of ideas like: "Lets make unit A have more health, Lets have building B have more armor". My inspiration obviously is coming from CNC the games. I've written down favorite CNC units, buildings, weapons, abilities and I've have written down plans on implementing it them.

If you like CNC so much... why not just make a CNC mod?
When comparing modding CNC vs modding SC2... SC2 has much more features. Starcraft mapping is easy to learn but difficult to master. It is easy to quickly generate map foliage, change colors, change height, and change unit stats, but it can be difficult to master the trigger actions and data editing and scripts. Fortunately, I have spent a lot of time learning the advance Starcraft map tools to create campaign-type levels.

This does not imply I don't like CNC modding nor won't try it. I hope to eventually get accustom on how CNC modding works and expose myself to the many mods to different CNC games that I've missed out!
(If someone can find that old CNC mod back in 1999 that i've played... that would be amazing)

Ideas so far:
- For those who haven't played Starcraft 2, Starcraft 2 is missing some awesome mechanics and abilities found in the CNC games. Some of my favorite units/buildings/weapons are:
a. Obelisk/tesla. There are laser and lightning assets on the Starcraft which i can implement. Ill make the stats be high armored and atk power high and voila, the obelisk
b. I liked the hacker support unit. "Hacking into internet". I can create a civilian unit with low health and no attack power. I can give it the ability to acquire money. When activated, I can. You know how you see the Numbers on top of hackers that appear? I can add a trigger that will do that and then add + more money each time.
c. I liked how frustrated I'd get when terror drones would attack my tanks. There is this Starcraft 2 yellow robot unit that doesn't get used. I can turn it into the terror drone and that when there is a armored enemy non-biological unit nearby, I can make it disappear and then have that enemy unit health decrease. If the unit gets destroyed, I will trigger a variable that will respawn that terror drone where the enemy died.
d. Starcraft 2 doesn't have "superweapons" and I plan on adding them in a unique way. I will be adding every kind of bombardment ability found in CNC Generals. The way I will create this is by creating a custom location area, then allow players to place that anywhere in the map (if the fog of war condition is met). Then that location will create destructive animations and kill enemy units in the blast.
e. Comparing CNC Generals with Starcraft 2, Starcraft exponentially gains resources while in Generals or any CNC game really you're stuck with. My experience with CNC is that my units were each important to me. In Starcraft 2 however, i would produce dozens of units, then they will all die, then procduce. It is not preference. Therefore I might be changing the economy mechanic to be more simplified and its rate to be generally fixed.
f. The Zerg race in Starcraft 2 has very few mechanics that feel like they can 'change and transform'. I want to add to it by getting ideas from CNC Generals and Red Alert. I want to come up with units like the IFV and that if you place a specific infantry inside, it turns into a different unit. I want to have a heavy tank unit that when combined with another unit, it changes that unit and you can toggle it. I have yet to see this kind of idea on Starcraft 2.
g. RA3 brought a lot of what I like to call "the on and off" switch mechanic in which. I actually didn't like that idea too much but its still a good raw idea. Therefore, I will be testing that using a lot of the Terran units in Starcraft and using similar RA3 ideas like riot shield.
h. Let loose the juice! Starcraft 2 doesn't have any big weak vs strong units which makes. I do like the idea of specific units that are just plain awful to go against. The Meta game of Starcraft 2 has changed into players clump dozens of units into this big crowded Spartan 300 ball of destruction and just mouse cliking the corner of the map. I want to bring some devestating AOE units to the game so that it provides easy punishment to players who clump units together like that.
- I enjoyed the few units you can build which you only benefit from. Starcraft 2 creators said this "we don't want to put situational units or units that fill overlapping role". Well... I like the overlapping role, I like having fun novelty situational units, even if you're just going to rarely use it. I barely made humvees, any units that have the word: light, Juggernauts (firestorm), Cobras. Other people i'm sure used them and it was these units that help defined the faction it was build from.

My goal is to create Starcraft Generals similar fashion to CNC Zero Hour and CNC Cancel. These General characters will be defined by their unique setup of base units, buildings, abilities, strength and weaknesses.

CNC modders my questions to you:
- what is your favorite CNC zero hour General and why?
- what unique units found in older CNC games that you miss now?
- What if each CNC game (except kane wrath and Zero Hour) had created General subfactions? Which game would you choose and what would be the General you would play?
- Help me with browsing this site, what are some CNC mods youd recommend me to install and play?

Edited by user Friday, May 29, 2015 10:19:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline CommieDog  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2015 7:36:34 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 130 post(s)
The ideas here seem cool, but I'm not exactly sure what the main goal is. Are you tweaking StarCraft to be like a C&C game (through lack of a pop cap, tanks that crush infantry, etc.), making a C&C total conversion mod (like All-Stars, but in StarCraft), or something in between?
UserPostedImage
CommieDog: Because someone has to do your dirty work for you
Offline queengambit  
#5 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2015 9:54:00 PM(UTC)
queengambit
Private

Originally Posted by: CommieDog Go to Quoted Post
The ideas here seem cool, but I'm not exactly sure what the main goal is. Are you tweaking StarCraft to be like a C&C game (through lack of a pop cap, tanks that crush infantry, etc.), making a C&C total conversion mod (like All-Stars, but in StarCraft), or something in between?

A Starcraft skirmish mod map that would be more like a tribute to CNC Zero Hour and Generals 2 Cancel. This project will experiment with some CNC ideas.
Note: I've edited my 2nd post to hopefully be more clear.

This is where my research and reading the forums comes in. Besides working on the project, I will indirectly learn more about CNC modding as well expose myself to popular CNC mods here.

Edited by user Friday, May 29, 2015 10:20:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline AMGIntermission  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2015 1:47:48 PM(UTC)
AMGIntermission
Major

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Seems like a plausible thread, however the C&C imaginations runs too deep in these killing fields! Need to break your plans/proposals down into say 1or2 paragraphs over numerous posts.. Nutshell it,

I've often ranted on about how some factions in Zero may have to move on to Space, this could be that materializing. just too out of this world for us normal everyday 5 Star Super General folk....
UserPostedImage
Offline queengambit  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2015 7:27:29 PM(UTC)
queengambit
Private

Originally Posted by: AMGIntermission Go to Quoted Post
Seems like a plausible thread ... Need to break your plans/proposals down into say 1or2 paragraphs...

I didn't mean to clutter a post, I was just generating random examples for readers to get some examples of the type of work I will be doing. AMGIntermission, do you have an old post of your discussion about CNC space ideas? :) Thank you guys by the way for commenting, it is sad how I posted the same thing in the official Starcraft forums and haven't received any replies lol.
Offline AMGIntermission  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2015 8:02:46 PM(UTC)
AMGIntermission
Major

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: QueenGambit Go to Quoted Post
I didn't mean to clutter a post,

Was only saying this as the resident Mod guys would have been analyzing it and trying to break it down into specifics to assist you with.....

Originally Posted by: QueenGambit Go to Quoted Post
do you have an old post of your discussion about CNC space ideas?

That comment was mainly based on my online lobby rants, i only really deal in advanced tactical warfare that i'm still waiting on these guys to advance into! lol.....

Was just an attempt to incorporate a space theme; even pass on our lesser intelligent players Smile, I myself haven't gone into Mods yet, and keep boringly stating that players haven't really explored the full potential of their current units, minimum loses being what my games about....
UserPostedImage
Offline queengambit  
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2015 6:13:49 AM(UTC)
queengambit
Private

"Take command and engage in action-packed, objective-driven missions with a friend. Master the art of war with StarCraft legends such as Jim Raynor, Sarah Kerrigan, and Hierarch Artanis. The battlefield awaits!"

The new and last expansion pack for Starcraft has released a skirmish mode that is similar to playing Generals. Blizzard will be selling playable Generals and new maps in the coming months. Whats interesting is that the Arcade mode, the free to play custom maps are still active and I don't see why we can't make similar maps ourselves, anyway...

Just wanted to say thanks anyway for the brief discussion I had here, I hope someone will pickup Generals 2 and continue the development.