Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline gonarch  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 12:37:17 PM(UTC)
gonarch
Private

Hello Everyone,

Can NOT mod CNC3. Game works fine. Trying to install CnC3ModSDK_v5.exe tells me I do not have CNC3 installed. I have purchased and installed the game via Steam. Please this is extremely frustrating as I am very interested in this game and I have spent lots of time on all this. I can not comprehend why all these difficulties, and why a SDK would require game to install (yes game required to run any work done with sdk but not to install sdk and work with it). I really would like to have a solution to this problem.

I was wondering if I could obtain a copy of the sdk already installed, a clean install of course with all the needed files. If that could work that would be wonderful.

Have seen a few rare posting from others having same problems. No solutions thought. Also made a posting on EA support, but I think we can guess the response...

Thank you all.
Gonarch

Sponsor
Offline MicScoTho  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 28, 2011 4:49:48 PM(UTC)
MicScoTho
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hey Gonarch, welcome to the forums.

I've uploaded an installer-less version of the C&C 3 Mod SDK for you. It's now available in our downloads section: C&C 3 Tiberium Wars Mod SDK 5.0 (No Installer)

To install the SDK, extract the "MOD SDK" folder contained within to the folder where you have Command & Conquer 3 installed.

Hope this helps!

Gonarch wrote:
Have seen a few rare posting from others having same problems. No solutions thought. Also made a posting on EA support, but I think we can guess the response...
If this works for you, feel free to spread the word to the others.

Mike

Edited by user Monday, February 28, 2011 4:54:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MicScoTho - Founder
Offline gonarch  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 5, 2011 10:08:29 AM(UTC)
gonarch
Private

MicScoTho wrote:
Hey Gonarch, welcome to the forums.... I've uploaded an installer-less version of the C&C 3 Mod SDK for you.... Hope this helps!.... If this works for you, feel free to spread the word to the others. Mike

I thank you so much Mike for your assistance. I will definitely provide you and the cnclabs community with feedback. It's going to be a little bit before that happens because I work full time, but I will not forget at all.

The answer I had received from EA support was to reinstall the game itself. I already know that would not help.

Thanks.
Gonarch
Offline gonarch  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:58:34 PM(UTC)
gonarch
Private

Update:
Taking a look at the installer-less version, I immediately see lots of work to do to get the thing to work... this being said, and thanks to Mike, there is hope to be able to get thinks to work but I shall need to go thru everything in deep details and reconfigure... such as batch files, folder names, and environment variables etc...

Before I can do any of that, I am currently stuck on following dilemma:
Is 3DSMax required for modding CNC3?

I do NOT need to change art, modeling, animation, rendering, audio, world, maps, etc... nor do I need to create new entities etc... I just wish to make mod changing some parameters of the games such as costs, buildtimes, countdowns, radius, damage, reloads, etc... that sort of things... like several mods I have seen kind of like Tactix etc...
Would I need to purchase that expensive tool from AutoDesk? I just wish to do personal research I can not justify that kind of expense...

I have posted separate message asking "Would anyone have any insight about this?"
So I will wait a little in case I receive feedback.
Thanks.

Offline MicScoTho  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:39:46 PM(UTC)
MicScoTho
Administrator
C&C Labs Staff: Labs Staff MemberThe Forgotten Staff: The Forgotten StaffRed Alert Staff: Red Alert Staff MemberAll Stars Staff: All Stars Staff
United States

Was thanked: 87 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hm, yes, it does seem the installer wrote out some specific file paths (to my Documents folder, etc.) to the batch files. My guess is there will be some other things that will need to be reconfigured as well.

You don't need 3DSMax unless you plan to create new models. You can change game parameters by editing the various XML (and some INI) files.

These pages may also help you get started - best of luck:
http://www.cnclabs.com/modding/cnc3/
http://www.cnclabs.com/m.../cnc3/initial-setup.aspx

MicScoTho - Founder
Offline gonarch  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:02:11 AM(UTC)
gonarch
Private

ok i did succeed in getting things to work with the installer-less version, and the reconfigurations turned out to be fairly minimal and did not require registry changes (these i would have no way of knowing about)

so i am able to mod with small changes such as preventing usage of selected assets etc that sort of thing and it allows me to play at a less frantic pace and without being anihilated, this is awesome

one other thing is that configuring the steam version to use mods will not work with any instructions that i have found, and this is because steam version do not include some kind of control interface as mentioned in the instructions (can not remember now exactly how it is called); so that was tricky also to get that to work through trial and error; one has to install mod files manually under the install location and manually change some SkuDef files

again thank you so much to MicScoTho

Offline ivicok  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:45:24 AM(UTC)
ivicok
Private

Hello, and sorry for reviving an old thread, though I find it still actual

I dedicated a couple of evenings trying to make a mod, stumbling upon a number of issues -

- 3DSMax exporter crashing (seemingly because lacking textures)
- BuildMod not creating the mod at all (batch file is funny)
- BuildMod creating the mod, but not finding ShaderAssetBuilder (??)
- BuildMod creating the mod, but finding an XML formatting error in my model
- Buildmod not finding mod_l.version
- Game Browser crashing on click
- when not, game crashing on choice of mod ("Cannot find executable..."; where do I specify it?)
- when not, game crashing on start ("Could not open file 'data/mod.manifest'...)
- when not (using a mod from someone else) models vanishing after a while ingame

the errors happen at random, but in the end I simply can't start it :/ any idea?

I've modded couple of games (Tiberian Sun, both Dawn of Wars, Homeworld, Total Wars...) but this is nuts...
Offline CommieDog  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:16:04 PM(UTC)
CommieDog
Administrator
United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Have you tried compiling and running the sample mod?
UserPostedImage
CommieDog: Because someone has to do your dirty work for you
Offline ivicok  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2015 2:17:25 AM(UTC)
ivicok
Private

Thanks for the reply

yes, I've tried it, using the no-installer SDK (I'm running a Steam version) - http://www.cnclabs.com/d...ads/details.aspx?id=1414

when I choose to run the Sample, I instantly receive the "Cannot find executable..." error; when I named the .skudef file without numbers, the game started (black screen) and then crashed with "Could not open file 'data/mod.manifest'..."